Iron Maiden Statistics

OK, I just re-read the commentary and understand better now.  I originally thought that Bruce wrote the song and recorded it with Maiden, then did a version for "Nightmare on Elm Street".  I realise now it was the other way round.  Thanks Perun ;)

In my opinion, a cover is playing someone else's song.
Since Bruce is the author of BYDTTS and since he is in Iron Maiden, I don't find it a cover.

Further, correct me if I'm wrong but Bruce's version was never really a "release", being part of Bruce's discography.
It was featured in a film, but the Maiden version was the first available version, playable on LP and CD.

Just my 2 cents  ;--)

Conor said:
Is the version on "Visions of the Beast" live or not? I forget :eek:

That particular recording of Futureal is definitely live.  Fan noise is in the background as well as live footage is shown.  I just finished watching it.

Right, I just watched the video again to make absolutely sure.

First of all, it should be clear to everyone with ears that this is precisely the same recording as the studio recording. It is exactly the same. The only difference is that this one has crowd noises mixed on it, just like in the videos for Stranger In A Strange Land or The Evil That Men Do.

Second, the live footage is from all over a concert. You have a walk-on Eddie and a blow-up Eddie in the same song. The walk-on Eddie always appears somewhere in the concert, but not during the opener. The blow-up Eddie always appears during the song Iron Maiden.

So, the video is not only not a live performance of Futureal, (some of) it is not even footage of a live performance of the song.

When did Eddie appear then?

I have been searching like hell to find SinisterMinisterX's post concerning all walking Eddie's appearances in Maiden's tour history.
Can't find it. Arrrghhh

@Perun, the video footage is coming from a live version of Futureal. Check Blaze during the couplets. Maybe not 100% of the video but at least some.

Forostar said:
I have been searching like hell to find SinisterMinisterX's post concerning all walking Eddie's appearances in Maiden's tour history.
I don't know where that post is - I remember making it, but can't recall which forum.
Furthermore, even if you find it, it wasn't a complete list - it only covered the tours I knew, either from personal attendance or home video.
Even worse - call it a brain fart or something, but for the life of me I can't recall most of them right at this moment.

Here's two I do know:
Brave New World tour - "The Evil That Men Do"
Somewhere On Tour - "Heaven Can Wait"

And I need to confirm by watching Live After Death again (great excuse, eh?), but I think World Slavery Tour was "Powerslave".

So let's get this list complete, folks.
Been to a Maiden show? Remember when the walking Eddie showed up? Tell us which tour and which song, please.
Got some home videos? Boots? Check 'em out again, watch for Eddie, report your findings here.

Forostar said:
@Perun, the video footage is coming from a live version of Futureal. Check Blaze during the couplets. Maybe not 100% of the video but at least some.

I agree, most of it is. But some of it isn't.

Perun said:
I agree, most of it is. But some of it isn't.

Indeed. There are more of such videos. Lord of the Flies comes to mind and OOTSP. :--)
Let's make it our mission to find out when he did appear ;--)

@Sinister: I think that for some strange reason your post has disappeared from the maidenfans forum. I used the advanced search options to check, but couldn't find it.

Maybe someone else can though.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Been to a Maiden show? Remember when the walking Eddie showed up? Tell us which tour and which song, please.
Got some home videos? Boots? Check 'em out again, watch for Eddie, report your findings here.
I saw Maiden at the Rainbow theatre (as in the Early days DVD), and Eddie (or rather a couple of blokes in Eddie masks) came on during Iron Maiden (just after the bass bit). They also had them dressed as an Eddie Santa and chucked out badges and whatnot from their Santa sacks (well, it was Christmas :D).

I seem to remember this been the case when I saw then on the Beast on the Road (Portsmouth) and Piece of Mind (Hammy O) tours - it was again during the same bit of the song Iron Maiden. The Beast over Hammersmith show on the above DVD will confirm the former of the two - I will need to watch this tonight again. One thing I do remember was the devils on the speakers during (I'm fairly sure) Number of the Beast.

I did not see them again until "No Prayer..", where although I saw them twice on that tour (Southampton and Wembley), for the life of me I cannot remember when Eddie walked on.

During the "Early Days" tour, Eddie appeared during "Drifter".

Probably everyone here could tell you that :p

I'm not sure if Eddie appeared for the same song at every venue on any given tour, as setlists may have changed etc.

Conor said:
I'm not sure if Eddie appeared for the same song at every venue on any given tour, as setlists may have changed etc.
A valid point, but consider the following:
Maiden's set lists sometimes show slight variations at the start of a tour, but by the 3rd or 4th show they've got the set list nailed down and then they stick to it.
Maiden's show is highly organized - while I can't guarantee it, I strongly suspect the appearance of Eddie is carefully planned, and always takes place during the same song. After all, have you ever seen the band themselves act surprised when he walked onstage?
For these reasons, I suspect the Eddie appearance is almost certainly a consistent thing for a given tour.

You want Iron Maiden statistics? (And a shameless plug for my website!)

Over on the Iron Maiden page at Top10Songs.net, some people have started updating their Iron Maiden Top 10 lists with AMOLAD songs. Here's where the songs currently rank:

#37: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
#50: For The Greater Good Of God
#75: The Longest Day
#87: The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg

And AMOLAD is ranked 13th out of 15 albums*.

These low ranks can't be justified. Update your lists, people! Or join the site and post your Top 10 list if you haven't done so yet.

* 15 albums? Yes, 15! Best Of The Beast is included in the database so people can vote for "Virus". So is Best Of The B-Sides, but it doesn't show on the charts because no one has voted for a b-side yet.

SinisterMinisterX said:

When the band was promoting their first four CDs (sorry don't recall the actual name of tour) in 2005, Eddie walked on during (surprize!) 'Iron Maiden', which was played near the end of the set list, just before the encore.  This was in Toronto, Canada.

SinisterMinisterX said:

Good plug!  I just registered and will vote soon.  I had no idea you had this website :applause:

I think on the Dance Of Death tour, Eddie walked on during Run To The Hills.

SinisterMinisterX said:

Over on the Iron Maiden page at Top10Songs.net, some people have started updating their Iron Maiden Top 10 lists with AMOLAD songs. Here's where the songs currently rank:

#37: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
#50: For The Greater Good Of God
#75: The Longest Day
#87: The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg

And AMOLAD is ranked 13th out of 15 albums*.

These low ranks can't be justified. Update your lists, people! Or join the site and post your Top 10 list if you haven't done so yet.

I am sure that at least one of the new songs will be in my top 10, but first I want to give myself some time to decide which one (or two?) :)

Great thread! :ok:

More statistics:

Albums: 17
Live Albums: 13
Compilations Albums: 7
Video releases: 20
Music videos: 40
Singles: 46
EP's: 4
Box sets: 5

Concert Tours: 24
Biggest concert: over 300k (Rock In Rio 1985), for a headline gig - 250k (Rock In Rio 2001).
Number of album songs: 162 (including Senjutsu)
Total members who were in the band: 23
Covers without Eddie - 8 (Running Free live single 1985, FHTE, Wasting Love, Flight 666, The Essential Iron Maiden, Live!! +One EP, Video Pieces 1983 VHS, Behind The Iron Curtain 1985 VHS)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Albums without title track - 4 (Piece Of Mind, The X Factor, Virtual XI and A Matter Of Life And Death)
Intro to an album - 1 (The Ides Of March), if you don't count ''Satellite 15...''
Total bonus songs from all studio albums - 14 (Sanctuary, Burning Ambition, Invasion, Twilight Zone, Total Eclipse, Reach Out, Sheriff Of Huddersfield, Black Bart Blues, Nodding Donkey Blues, Justice Of The Piece, I Live My Way, Judgement Day, Pass The Jam, More Tea Vicar)

Album with the most sales: The Number Of The Beast (1982)
Album with the least sales: Virtual XI (1998)
Platinum albums - 11
Albums at #1 in the UK charts - 5 (TNOTB, SSOASS, FOTD, TFF and TBOS)
Albums at #1 in the US charts - none
Highest charting single in the UK - #1 (Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter)
Highest charting single in the US - #8 (Flight Of Icarus)..., or #1 (The Writing On The Wall)?
Lowest charting single - #52 (Purgatory)
Tour with the most dates - World Slavery Tour 1984/1985: 189 dates
Tour with the least dates - The Ed Hunter Tour 1999: 28 dates
Longest setlist in a tour - 20 songs (FOTD, Real Live and VXI tours)
Shortest setlist in a tour - 13 songs (WST)

Songs that have never been played live - 43
Most played song live - Iron Maiden: *2259 times
- the other songs in the Top 10 are: TNOTB, HBTN, Trooper, RTTH, 2MTM, Sanctuary, Wrathchild, FOTD, Running Free.
Least played song live - The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner: 1 time
Unreleased song from the 70's - Highway Road In Time

Drum Solo - 246 times
Guitar Solo - 572 times (the only tour to have Guitar Solos is SOT 1986/1987 with ''Walking On Glass'')

Covers played in some tours - 4
- Women In Uniform (Skyhooks)
- Tush (ZZ Top)
- I've Got The Fire (Montrose)
- Smoke On The Water (Deep Purple)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Songs with NO solos - 7 (Running Free, Iron Maiden, MITRM, Genghis Khan, Flash Of The Blade, Deja-Vu, Journeyman)

Songs with more than two solos - 32 (POTO, Charlotte The Harlot, Another Life, Innocent Exile, FOI, Powerslave, SSOASS, NPFTD, Mother Russia, The Apparition, Judas Be My Guide, Weekend Warrior, The Fallen Angel, TTLBLAH, No More Lies, DOD, Paschendale, FTGGOG, El Dorado, WTWWB, TGU, TRATB, WTRRD, TBOS, SOTV, TMOS, Senjutsu, TTM, DOTC, The Parchment, Hell On Earth)

Song with the most solos - The Parchment (6 solos)

Songs that fade out - 3 (Stranger In A Strange Land, The Prophecy, Hell On Earth)

Songs with acoustic intro - 13 (Prodigal Son, COTD, Weekend Warrior, The Aftermath, 2 A.M. , The Clansman, DOD, Journeyman, The Legacy, The Talisman, TBOS, TWOTW, LIALW)

Songs with acoustic outro - 6 (The Prophecy, Wasting Love, Fortunes Of War, Journeyman, The Legacy, TBOS)

Songs that end with solo/s - 11 (Another Life, 22AA, Powerslave, The Prophecy, OTGDY, PENO, FHTE, OOTSP, El Dorado, TMOS and Senjutsu)

Album closers that are not written (or co-written) by Steve - 2 (Como Estais Amigos, Empire Of The Clouds)

Longest song - 18:01 (Empire Of The Clouds)
Shortest song - 1:48 (The Ides Of March)
Longest album - 92:11 (The Book Of Souls)
Shortest album - 38:18 (Killers)

SONGS LENGTH IN ALL ALBUMS:

1 min. - 1
2 min. - 1
3 min. - 24
4 min. - 36
5 min. - 30
6 min. - 23
7 min. - 18
8 min. - 11
9 min. - 10
10 min. - 3
11 min. - 2
12 min. - 1
13 min. - 2
18 min. - 1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALBUMS LENGTH:

Iron Maiden - 40:46
Killers - 38:18
The Number Of The Beast - 39:11
Piece Of Mind - 45:28
Powerslave - 51:12
Somewhere In Time - 51:18
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 43:51
No Prayer For The Dying - 43:42
Fear Of The Dark - 57:58
The X Factor - 70:54
Virtual XI - 53:22
Brave New World - 66:57
Dance Of Death - 67:57
A Matter Of Life And Death - 71:53
The Final Frontier - 76:34
The Book Of Souls - 92:11
Senjutsu - 81:53

SONGWRITING CREDITS PER ALBUM (OF EACH MEMBER):

Senjutsu
Steve - 7
Bruce - 3
Adrian - 4
Dave - 0
Janick - 2

The Book Of Souls

Steve - 7
Bruce - 4
Adrian - 5
Dave - 1
Janick - 2

The Final Frontier

Steve - 10
Bruce - 4
Adrian - 6
Dave - 1
Janick - 2

A Matter Of Life And Death

Steve - 10
Bruce - 5
Adrian - 5
Dave - 1
Janick - 2

Dance Of Death

Steve - 10
Bruce - 6
Adrian - 4
Dave - 2
Janick - 3
Nicko - 1

Brave New World

Steve - 10
Bruce - 4
Adrian - 2
Dave - 3
Janick - 4

Virtual XI

Steve - 7
Blaze - 3
Dave - 2
Janick - 1

The X Factor

Steve - 10
Blaze - 4
Dave - 0
Janick - 7

Fear Of The Dark

Steve - 7
Bruce - 5
Dave - 2
Janick - 5

No Prayer For The Dying

Steve - 7
Bruce - 6
Dave - 2
Janick - 0

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Steve - 7
Bruce - 4
Adrian - 3
Dave - 1

Somewhere In Time

Steve - 5
Bruce - 0
Adrian - 3
Dave - 1

Powerslave

Steve - 4
Bruce - 4
Adrian - 2
Dave - 0

Piece Of Mind

Steve - 6
Bruce - 4
Adrian - 3
Dave - 1

The Number Of The Beast

Steve - 7
Bruce - 0
Adrian - 3
Dave - 0
Clive - 1

Killers

Steve - 10
Paul - 1
Adrian - 0
Dave - 0

Iron Maiden

Steve - 7
Paul - 2
Dave - 1
Dennis - 0
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most/Least for Steve: Killers,TXF,BNW,DOD,AMOLAD,TFF / Powerslave
Most/Least for Bruce: NPFTD,DOD / TNOTB, SIT
Most/Least for Adrian: TFF / Killers,Powerslave,BNW
Most/Least for Dave: BNW / Killers,TNOTB,Powerslave,TXF,Senjutsu
Most/Least for Janick: TXF / NPFTD, VXI

Smith/Harris/Dickison songs - 13
Gers/Harris songs - 14
Murray/Harris songs - 11
Smith/Dickinson songs - 11
Harris/Dickinson songs - 5
Smith/Harris songs - 13
Gers/Dickinson songs - 3
Murray/Dickinson songs - 3
Gers/Dickinson/Harris songs - 5
Murray/Dickinson/Harris songs - 2
Dickinson songs - 6
Smith - songs - 3
Harris songs - 61

The only song with a writing credit of 4 members is ''Virus''. It's also the only song written by 2 guitarists (maybe ''Twilight Zone'' too).

Songs with Drum intro - 8 (Running Free, Another Life, RTTH, Gangland, WED, BQOBD, The Pilgrim, Senjutsu)
Songs with Bass intro - 18 (Remember Tomorrow, Wrathchild, Innocent Exile, Killers, HCW, SIASL, The Clairvoyant, FOW, JOH, BOTWH, Blood Brothers, The Longest Day, FTGGOG, Isle Of Avalon, TGU, TRATB, The Parchment, Hell On Earth)
Songs with Bass solo - 17 (POTO, Iron Maiden, TNOTB, TTAL, Powerslave, ROTAM, The Duellists, SIASL, OTGDY, The Fugitive, BOTWH, The Unbeliever, The Clansman, El Dorado, Isle Of Avalon, IESF, TGU)
Songs with Vocal intro - 6 (Still Life, CIPWM, Moonchild, PENO, Wildest Dreams, Different World)
Songs with Spoken/Tape intro - 3 (The Prisoner, TNOTB, ATG)
Songs with Spoken/Tape outro - 4 (Still Life, PENO, The Unbeliever, TTLBLAH)
Songs with intro/outro with sounds - 6 (Powerslave, The Edge Of Darkness, WTWWB, IESF, Senjutsu, Darkest Hour)

TOTAL SOLOS OF THE THREE AMIGOS:

Adrian - 94
Dave - 132
Janick - 73

SOLOS PER ALBUM:

Senjutsu

J- 8
D- 8
A- 12
--------------
TBOS
J- 6
D- 10
A- 13
--------------
TFF
J- 4
D- 7
A- 9
--------------
AMOLAD
J- 4
D- 5
A- 7
--------------
DOD
J- 5
D- 5
A- 6
--------------
BNW
J- 7
D- 10
A- 4
--------------
VXI
J- 7
D- 7
--------------
TXF
J- 10
D- 8
--------------
FOTD
J- 12
D- 9
--------------
NPFTD
J- 10
D- 12
--------------
SSOASS
D- 7
A- 8
--------------
SIT
D- 4
A- 7
--------------
Powerslave
D- 7
A- 7
--------------
POM
D- 10
A- 7
--------------
TNOTB
D- 6
A- 7
--------------
Killers
D- 10
A- 7
--------------
Iron Maiden
D- 7
Dennis Stratton - 5

Janick's most solos in an album - FOTD
Janick's least solo in an album - AMOLAD and TFF

Dave's most solos in an album - NPFTD
Dave's least solos in an album - SIT

Adrian's most solos in an album - TBOS
Adrian's least solos in an album - BNW

Adrian's longest solo - ''Stranger In A Strange Land'' (over 1 minute)
Dave's longest solo - ''The Man Who Would Be King'' (over 1 minute)
Janick's longest solo - ''Out Of The Silent Planet'' (0,98 seconds)

The only albums in which one guitarist has solos in all songs are POM (Dave) and TBOS (Adrian)

BNW is the only title song in which Adrian is without a solo!
TFF is the only title song in which Janick is without a solo!
Dave has solos in all title songs expect ''Iron Maiden'' because the song has no solos!

Last edited:
Back