Iron Maiden Statistics

I think we could surmise that the most prolific songwriter of the Three Amigos is Janick (only by a touch)!

Album songs that Maiden did NOT play live (list might be the same after the upcoming tour ;) ):

Killers:
1. Prodigal Son

The Number of the Beast:
2. Invaders
3. Gangland

Piece of Mind:
4. Quest for Fire
5. Sun and Steel

Powerslave:
6. Flash of the Blade
7. The Duellists
8. Back in the Village

Somewhere in Time:
9. Deja-Vu
10. Alexander The Great

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:
11. The Prophecy
12. Only the Good Die Young

No Prayer for the Dying:
13. Fates Warning
14. Run Silent Run Deep
15. Mother Russia

Fear of the Dark: (7 out of 12 tracks never played!)
16. Fear is the Key
17. Childhood's End
18. The Fugitive
19. Chains of Misery
20. The Apparition
21. Judas Be My Guide
22. Weekend Warrior

The X-Factor:
23. Look for the Truth
24. Judgement of Heaven
25. 2 A.M.
26. The Unbeliever

Virtual XI:
27. Como Estais Amigos

Brave New World:
28. The Nomad
29. The Thin Line between Love and Hate

Dance of Death:
30. Montségur
31. Gates of Tomorrow
32. New Frontier
33. Face in the Sand
34. Age of Innocence

Forostar said:
Album songs that Maiden did NOT play live (list might be the same after the upcoming tour ;) ):

15. Mother Russia

They played it when they came to phoenix....

[/quote]

Back on the issue of songs without a chorus...

In my opinion, "Where Eagles Dare" does NOT have a chorus. A similar (or even identical) ending of verses does not qualify as a chorus.

On the other hand, I don't feel that a chorus needs to have words. If there's a section of a song that is repeated and occupies a chorus-type location, it's a chorus. I'm referring to "Remember Tomorrow" in particular here - that riff after each verse is something that I've always thought of as a chorus.

Albie said:
Average length of the songs on each album (stats here):[sup]1[/sup]

The Number of the Beast (Enhanced): 05:36
Sorry Conor, but you best make the average length of the songs on the above 04:59 (I divided it by 8 as oppose to 9 :()

Perun said:
Live versions of these tracks were released but are rarities (i.e. the medium they were released on is out of print, such as singles, EPs etc):

Futureal
Is the version on "Visions of the Beast" live or not? I forget :eek:

Like Stranger In A Strange Land, The Evil That Men Do and some others I'm too lazy to look up right now, it's the studio version spiced up with crowd noises.

Most frequently played songs:

Iron Maiden (18 Tours)
Sanctuary (15 Tours)
Wrathchild (15 Tours)
The Number Of The Beast (15 Tours)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (15 Tours)
The Trooper (13 Tours)
Run To The Hills (13 Tours)
Running Free (11 Tours)

Every tour is included, even if the song was on the setlist only once (such as Run To The Hills). The pre-Iron Maiden tours are comprehended as one tour, Fear Of The Dark and Real Live Tours are two tours, just as Gimme Ed... Till I'm Dead and Dance Of Death.

By the way, Iron Maiden, The Number Of The Beast and Hallowed Be Thy Name are the only songs that have been on every setlist since their release (The Trooper was not played on the Somewhere In Time tour).

Perun said:
Most frequently played songs:

Iron Maiden (18 Tours)
Sanctuary (15 Tours)
Wrathchild (15 Tours)
The Number Of The Beast (15 Tours)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (15 Tours)
The Trooper (13 Tours)
Run To The Hills (13 Tours)
Running Free (11 Tours)

Every tour is included, even if the song was on the setlist only once (such as Run To The Hills). The pre-Iron Maiden tours are comprehended as one tour, Fear Of The Dark and Real Live Tours are two tours, just as Gimme Ed... Till I'm Dead and Dance Of Death.

By the way, Iron Maiden, The Number Of The Beast and Hallowed Be Thy Name are the only songs that have been on every setlist since their release (The Trooper was not played on the Somewhere In Time tour).

This is a nice one Perun !
I'd like to go deeper in it though -> is it possible to post the names of the tours as well? Or the other way around:
On which tours were they NOT played since their existence? Thanks in advance.

ok.... I am not sure about this

but I think that Only the Good Die Young has been played live...  I think I remember reading some interview about one of these not too old tours (with no new album, after Bruce and Adrian joined again the band) and Maiden was including Only The Good die Young... and the guy interviewing was sorprised because they didn't even include that song in the Seventh Tour of A Seventh Tour setlist...

but anyway I could just have dreamed about it...

So I guess you should check this...

angel

Most released tracks (not including different formats of the same release.  Eg, "Live After Death" video and audio counted as one release):

Iron Maiden: 20
Wrathchild: 21
The Number of the Beast: 25
Run to the Hills: 24
Hallowed be thy Name: 20
The Trooper: 22

EDIT: I forgot the b-sides of "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg".

Nice statistics. Since here seems to be many stat-maniacs, I'd guess it would be possible to make up a complete songwriter list with lyrics and music separated. I mean, for example Brighter Than a Thousand Suns songwriters are mentioned (on the booklet) as "Smith/Harris/Dickinson" instead of "Composed by Smith/Harris, lyrics: Dickinson" (as I assume it is).

So, for the new album it would go something like this (m=music, l=lyrics):

(it's based on the interviews and partly I'm just guessing, so there may be mistakes, feel free to correct me)

Different World (m: Smith/Harris l: Harris)
These Colours Don't Run (m: Smith/Harris, l: Dickinson)
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (m: Smith/Harris, l: Dickinson)
The Pilgrim (m: Gers/Harris, l: Harris)
The Longest Day (m: Smith/Harris, l: Dickinson)
Out of the Shadows (m: Dickinson, l: Harris / Dickinson)
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (m: Murray/Harris, l: Harris)
For The Greater Good of God (m&l: Harris)
Lord of Light (m: Smith/Harris, l: Dickinson)
The Legacy (m: Gers/Harris, l: Harris)

Well, it's known that "the three amigos" wrote most of the riffs and Harris wrote all the vocal melodies, except the ones on Out of the Shadows.

Forostar said:
This is a nice one Perun !
I'd like to go deeper in it though -> is it possible to post the names of the tours as well? Or the other way around:
On which tours were they NOT played since their existence? Thanks in advance.

I'd rather do it the other way around ;)

Iron Maiden: Played on every tour.
Sanctuary: Not played on No Prayer On The Road, X Factour, Gimme Ed... Till I'm Dead and Dance Of Death.
Running Free: Not played on Somewhere On Tour, No Prayer On The Road, X Factour, Virtual XI World Tour, Ed Huntour, Brave New World Tour, Gimme Ed... Till I'm Dead and Dance Of Death Tour.
Wrathchild: Not played on Somewhere On Tour, 7th Tour, Virtual XI and Gimme Ed... Till I'm Dead.
The Number Of The Beast: Played on every tour.
Run To The Hills: Not played on X Factour and Virtual XI World Tour.
Hallowed Be Thy Name: Played on every tour.
The Trooper: Not played on Somewhere On Tour.

Some of this information may be conflicting with the previous one I gave. I haven't got the time or possibility to check right now, I'll do so later on.

Forostar said:

Somewhere in Time:
10. Alexander The Great
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:
11. The Prophecy
12. Only the Good Die Young
Fear of the Dark:
21. Judas Be My Guide
The X-Factor:
25. 2 A.M.
Dance of Death:
30. Montségur

I'd put all these on the set list immediately.

By the way, has Maiden played any covers live? Ever? And how about the b-sides other than Total Eclipse?

dnsm said:
By the way, has Maiden played any covers live? Ever? And how about the b-sides other than Total Eclipse?

I've Got The Fire, Women In Uniform and Bring Your Daughter... ...To The Slaughter for certain. They most probably played some covers before (there is a fairly common bootleg recording of a medley of We Will Rock You and Smoke On The Water, but I've never seen it in any context so I can't be sure if it's not just Paul solo).

As for the B-Sides it gets a bit more tricky because it's hard to define an original Maiden song as a B-Side: Invasion and Burning Ambition have been played live, but long before they even became B-Sides.

I helped a bit, Perun,

Perun said:
Sanctuary: Not played on No Prayer On The Road, X Factour, Gimme Ed... Till I'm Dead and Dance Of Death.

It was played on No Prayer on the Road and on TXF-tour ('96 part)

Perun said:
Running Free: Not played on Somewhere On Tour, No Prayer On The Road, X Factour, Virtual XI World Tour, Ed Huntour, Brave New World Tour, Gimme Ed... Till I'm Dead and Dance Of Death Tour.

It was played on Somewhere on Tour and on TXF-tour and Virtual XI (5th of July 1998) and BNW-tour (9th of June 2000)

Perun said:
Wrathchild: Not played on Somewhere On Tour, 7th Tour, Virtual XI and Gimme Ed... Till I'm Dead.

It was played on Somewhere on Tour (Budapest), and on 7th tour.

How did I get this info?
The bootleg page on http://www.maidenfans.com/imc helped me a lot. If this info is correct, then this post is correct. Send hatemail to Maverick (joke ;) ).
I am surprised that some songs were only played once at some occasions!

Perun said:
Bring Your Daughter... ...To The Slaughter
Are you counting that as a B-side because Bruce wrote it for his solo project or what's the story Perun?

Conor said:
Are you counting that as a B-side because Bruce wrote it for his solo project or what's the story Perun?

Read the context. I listed it with the covers.

Because it wasn't originally released and performed by Maiden. It's a Bruce Dickinson song.

Back