Your Maiden blasphemy

I can agree. Other really strong years were 1999/2001/2008/2011/2018.

2011 had some excellent shows, but towards the summer and end of the tour they, at least Bruce, were a bit fried. At least that's what he says in his book and granted, the summer of 2011 was some of the "worst" from the past twenty years or so in terms of Bruce's vocal performances. Not bad, but I'd say he was much more consistent on the previous and following tours. Obviously, the following tour legs were also shorter, as they basically only toured between summer time, with the exception of the TBOS 2016 being huge and Maiden England 2013 ending in October etc. but anyway.

Here's another one: Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding are better than 90% of Maiden's back catalogue.

In particular AoB is one of the best records in any genre of the last 30 years. I would rate it above every Maiden album apart from SiT and AMOLAD.

I can't stand the Trooper anymore! I'd rather listen to Mother of Mercy. Kind of fancy that song lately

I am skipping RTTH and TNOTB for last 15 years, I can't stand that two songs.
I had been skipping them, until very recently, for over 20 years... and I'm only 40. Having skipped them so much however, I am now able to sometimes listen to them again. Not very often though. I still skip the Trooper however.

I feel like any sort of sloppiness argument goes out the window when you listen to what Nicko's playing in the late 80s. It's not that he's worse in the 90s (honestly, he's probably better by some measures) but Jesus H. Christ I wish I could play a tenth as good. He somehow combines this absolutely manic live energy with incredible precision and tasty fills, along with his trademark of basically always playing something other than a basic rock beat. With a rhythm section that solid I really cannot see how you get sloppiness or worse live performances than in the 90s or early 80s out of that.

Not unpopular or popular opinion, just adding to the Nicko comment by @Ruflux
On the latest live album NOTD, I found it that Nicko gave tremendous performance and perhaps most interesting performance in years (and yes, I believe that no-one will be replaced in the current lineup as some have expected to happen) given his age and so I think he's in good shape.

Last edited:
Here's another one: Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding are better than 90% of Maiden's back catalogue.

In particular AoB is one of the best records in any genre of the last 30 years. I would rate it above every Maiden album apart from SiT and AMOLAD.
Well, I´d rank AOB and CW and even Skunkworks and TOS higher than: the Di´Anno albums, TNOTB, NPFTD, FOTD, VXI and DOD.

I agree with aomost everything, but I have a little bit of a different opinion about no 7, and I know my opinion is unpopular:

I don’t really like TXF but I like VXI. And I REALLY like TAATG

Yes — but, that speaks to the quality of Bruce’s two albums and not the lack of quality from Maiden’s career. I maintain that The Chemical Wedding is my favorite album ever, but Maiden have quite a few records that also belong in the S Tier of music.

Back