Your Maiden blasphemy

Also, I vastly prefer the sound of Brave New World to the polished but sterile sound of Angel of Retribution, which was a Roy Z production.
Me too. I like the production of Roy Z for Bruce's solo albums, but it is not that different from Kevin Shirley's production for Maiden imo... (apart from BNW and AMOLAD albums). Angel Of Retribution too.

It fits the Bruce albums very well, but for Maiden, idk... (maybe only TOS production).

I'm assuming they used bass strings because they didn't have a seven string/baritone guitar available, or would a bass string have a different tone to an equal-size guitar string?
To the best of my knowledge, the only difference between guitar and bass strings is the gauge. They are categorised as for guitar or bass and as light/heavy within those categories purely based on usage conventions (and manufactured in different scale lengths for the same reason) and sold/marketed as such for the convenience of customers.

Last edited:
Wasted Years is such a colossally boring, insipid, tedious play to the "power ballad" fad that Maiden so desperately yearned to be a part of but couldn't quite elevate their craft to.
I would understand if you said it was a hair metal rocker, but how in the world is it a power ballad?

Iron Maiden should put 3 guitar solos in almost all their songs. Even 4 solos works, like on TBOS.
I think it is stupid to have 3 excellent guitar players and mostly long songs, and to have only 2 solos per song. The most extrem example I can think of is EOTC.

Iron Maiden should put 3 guitar solos in almost all their songs. Even 4 solos works, like on TBOS.
I think it is stupid to have 3 excellent guitar players and mostly long songs, and to have only 2 solos per song. The most extrem example I can think of is EOTC.
Maiden should bring back Stratton and add KK since he obviously regrets leaving Priest. What's better than 3 guitarists in a metal band? 5 guitarists, that's what

A litany of Maiden blasphemy:

- Dennis is the better guitarist on the debut
- The raw production of the debut is superior to the sterile Killers
- Dave's solos improved when Adrian joined, went downhill when Adrian left, but did not improve when he rejoined
- The three amigos need Roy Z to re-amp their guitar tracks and give them a decent tone
- Roy Z needs to overdub all of Janick's solos and most of Dave's (1990 onwards, excepting Rainmaker)
- Adrian has become more a technically proficient guitarist, but is a lot less interesting
- Gangland is better than Total Eclipse
- Alexander the Great is not great
- Richey Faulkner or Laurence Archer should replace Dave and Janick, but Janick should be retained as a songwriter
- Reunion era Harris/Smith compositions are generally better than Dickinson/Smith reunion efforts
- TWOTW, excepting the solo, is pants

That'll do for now. ;-)

Steve Harris is clearly holding back Maiden at this point. He really, really needs to gracefully step down or be forcibly removed. And, yes of course, Trujillo is the obvious replacement...well ahead of Ellefson or Newsted. But, honestly?, Cliff Burton would really shine in this band - what's that guy been doing the last 35 years???! (sorry, not sorry!)

Back