What else do we listen to?

Lmao you don't speak for all of us. I can't see why you wouldn't listen to Slayer but that shit is ok. To each his own.

Sarcasm brate :D

I listen to few songs of Salyer, but I am type of guy that if I am into some band I need to have full discography, and I become a real fan. So for now Slayer is not that type of band for me.

On the other hand that is good because I have a lot of good music to discover in future.

I have been listening to a lot of different stuff all over the years. I don’t wanna write too much about it, but currently I usually listen to alot of 60’s and 70’s music, power metal (my first love and probably my favorite music altogether) and some synthwave. The last couple of years I have listened alot to bands like Pain of salvation, Pagan’s mind, Ayreon. Also have a yearly Maiden-phase, a week every now and then with only black metal, or only symphonic music.

it doesn’t matter what genre it is, as long as the music is good. And every genre have some good music and bad music.

Most of the metal bands I listen to today are the same ones that got me into the genre in the first place way back in 2009, though recently a friend at work has been turning me on to a few bands of that era that I passed on at the time like Trivium, Killswitch Engage, Deftones and Skindred.

Outside of metal I'm into a lot of alternative, pop punk and indie stuff: PVRIS, Reigning Days, Therapy?, Zico Chain, Rise Against, Royal Blood, Green Day, Sum 41, The Offspring, Arctic Monkeys, Paramore. I go back to my pre-metal days with some of these, Green Day's American Idiot was the first album I listened to in its entirety and I like to think Sum 41 planted becoming a metalhead into my subconscious with these lines from "Fat Lip":

Heavy metal and mullets, it's how we were raised, Maiden and Priest were the Gods that we praised!

Synthwave is something I've been really getting into the past 2 or 3 years: chill, instrumental music that takes me to some place I've never been during a time I wasn't born. A.L.I.S.O.N, Unfound, HOME and Emil Rottmayer have been my favourite artists. Great stuff for a night drive or a quiet evening. My love of this genre lead me to find Dance With The Dead, who are basically a blend of metal, dance and the soundtrack of an eighties horror film. Their Loved to Death album has been a real highlight of my recent discoveries.

And, being a bit of a gamer, I enjoy a lot of game soundtracks too. Spyro the Dragon, Ratchet and Clank, Mega Man, Castlevania, Shovel Knight and, of course, DOOM all have fantastic music.

I like pockets of music from most genres, though focusing on classic rock and heavy metal. A timeline is hard and I've probably forgot it, but my 10 favourite artists at the moment are (alphabetically) probably:

- Amaranthe
- Amon Amarth
- Battle Beast
- Dream Theater
- Firewind
- Halestorm
- Iron Maiden
- Judas Priest
- Scorpions
- The Night Flight Orchestra

Iron Maiden then Metal at early teens. Pink Floyd, Procol Harum at late teens, then Classic Rock as a young man.
Now, I actively listen to all sorts of music; from classical to house & from Elvis to punk. Music is one.
Below a representative list:
  • 60s-70s: The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Cream, Procol Harum, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Edgar Broughton Band, Hawkwind.
  • Jazz: John Coltrane, Miles Davies, Buddy Rich, Wes Montgomery.
  • Blues: Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson, John Campbell.
  • Metal: Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Savatage, Warlord.
  • Alternative: Archive, Pixies, Radiohead, Portishead.
  • Electronic: Massive Attack, Parov Stellar, RZA /Wu-Tang Clan, Dr. Dre, High Tone, Gotan Project.
  • Solo Artist /Composer: Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Serge Gainsbourg, Georges Brassens, Manos Hadjidakis, Adriano Celedano, Amy Winehouse, Lana Del Ray, Adele.
  • World: Manu Chao, Bob Marley, Bratsch, Tinariwen, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head...
Metal: Megadeth, Dream Theater, Metallica, Pantera, Anthrax, In Flames, Symphony X, Pagan's Mind, Judas Priest, Unleash the Archers, Psycrence, Machine Men, Sentenced

Rock: Alter Bridge, Ghost, Creed, Foo Fighters, GNR, Disturbed

We have a new influx of members - hello everyone! - so I thought it would be nice to dust off some of the old introductory questions and see what the common musical taste is on an Iron Maiden forum in 2021.

When I started listening to Maiden, I was very much into old 70's hard rock of the Purple/Sabbath/Rainbow/Led Zep variety, although I was also on the tail end of a very intense Pink Floyd phase. Most of the bands I listened to back then have stuck with me, but as the years went by, I went on to explore the various metal genres, picking up a few lasting loves from most genres along the way. For the last few years however, my musical home has mostly been in the epic/doom area, and some of my favourite bands include Atlantean Kodex, Primordial, Moonsorrow, Grand Magus and Bathory. I like it when music takes time to develop, and if that means slow meandering for ten minutes, I'm all for it. I carry that sentiment over to the extreme metal areas, with bands like Nocte Obducta, Geist, Lunar Aurora and Ahab (really only the first album, though).
I don't mind more upbeat stuff either though, and some other favourites of mine include bands like Vreid, Annihilator, God Dethroned, classic bands like Dio, Iced Earth, Priest, Megadeth and Slayer, and I always like myself some cheesy trad/power metal of any variety. I'm also happy if there are folky sounds in the music I listen to. I'm not terribly big on thrash and death, although I do enjoy some bands in those genres. Basically, if it sounds like Anaal Nathrakh or Melechesh that's pretty much what it should be for me.
Prog, on the other hand, is almost completely lost on me. I used to listen to Rush for a while, but I can't hear in them what others do.

Next to Maiden however my all-time favourite band is Queen. I'm just coming out of a rare listening binge I afforded myself.

This of course isn't an exhaustive description of my styles - I haven't mentioned bands like W.A.S.P. or Enforcer or my deep love for NWOBHM and traditional US Metal (as in the epic metal genre), but then we'd be sitting here all day.

Your turn.
I listen to most of the usual suspects, like: Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Dio, Deep Purple, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth. But, I also like Dire Straits, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Wishbone Ash and anything with a rock/prog element to it.
Apart from Maiden, of course, the band I listen to a lot is Tool. Their latest album Fear Incoculum is brilliant

Yup... I indeed dig some of their stuff.

Now as @Mosh said let's get back to topic. I think it's only fair.
Hope this is the right place now.
In your opinion, who are the cutting edge metal bands or artists today (or rock in general)? If it's alright to ask, because you seem to know stuff about metal. What about Dillinger Escape Plan?

Hope this is the right place now.
In your opinion, who are the cutting edge metal bands or artists today (or rock in general)? If it's alright to ask, because you seem to know stuff about metal. What about Dillinger Escape Plan?
Liked them from Irony Is A Dead Scene EP to Ire Works. Then they kinda started getting boring to me. Miss Machine's my favorite though.

That first Unisonic album is pretty good.
Kiske sounds very good, the AOR approach works with his voice. Great crystal clear production too.

Well if I had to choose my top bands(apart from Maiden), they would have to be:

• Death
  • Tool
  • Porcupine Tree
  • My Dying Bride
  • The Pineapple Thief
  • Queens of the Stone Age
  • Obituary
  • Paradise lost
  • Kyuss

Well if I had to choose my top bands(apart from Maiden), they would have to be:

• Death
  • Tool
  • Porcupine Tree
  • My Dying Bride
  • The Pineapple Thief
  • Queens of the Stone Age
  • Obituary
  • Paradise lost
  • Kyuss
Great array of bands.

Reactions: Gk1
That first Unisonic album is pretty good.
Kiske sounds very good, the AOR approach works with his voice. Great crystal clear production too.
Night of the Long Knives and Exceptional are my favs of theirs. It was terrific to see Kiske finally doing great music again.
I wasn't too excited about Helloween having three singers, but after listening to the latest Helloween album, I can't criticise them, Such a great album.

The Beatles
Oasis
Within Temptation
Cheap Trick
The Outfield
Helloween
AC/DC
Enslaved
Emperor(add Marduk,Enthroned, Dissection,1349,Sargeist, God Dethroned,Blut Aus Nord,early Satyricion,Darkthrone,Satanic Warmaster, I could on and on)
Amorphis
Scorpions
Metallica
Infected Rain
Winterfylleth
Opeth
Most 60s British Invasion bands ala Dave Clark 5, The Hollies, Rolling Stone, The Who,etc.
I'll stop for I could go on a bit:)

Last edited:
Back