What else do we listen to?

As a teenager i was only interested in metal but as i got older i took various diversions through other genres

Folk / Folk Rock - Jackson C Frank, Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Bert Jansch etc

Reggae - Bob Marley (obvs), Lee Scratch Perry, Black Uhuru, 10 Ft Ganja Plant, The Congo's, Burning Spear etc

Psychedelia / Neo-Psych / Space Rock - Quicksilver Messenger Service, Incredible String Band, Gong, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Funkadelic (put here lazily because i can't be bothered to do a separate funk category) Hawkwind, Pond, The Black Angels, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Black Mountain, Master Musicians of Bukkake, Assemble Head in Sunshine Plan, Love, The Claypool-Lennon Delirium, 13th Floor Elevators, Silver Apples, Comet Control, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard etc

Stoner/ Fuzz / Sludge - Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Goat, Truckfighters, Kings of Frog Island, King Buffalo, Elder, Desert Storm, Raging Speedhorn, Orange Goblin, Nebula, Quest for Fire, MonoLord, Part Chimp, All Them Witches etc.

And loads more metal, hardcore, punk and all the sub-genres in-between but i've already rambled on enough

Good stuff, what about modern Dub or Electronic? @Boroking

Not really. There are a handful of electronic or dance tracks that i've come across that i enjoy but i've never done a deep dive into the genre and researched it like i do other genres because of my correctly or incorrectly held assumption that it has little to offer me. I listen to a fair bit of Dub reggae and i like some crossover artists that mix stuff like hip-hop , reggae and big beat/jungle like Dub Pistols and Asian Dub Foundation but my knowledge as a whole is pretty shallow.

The older I got, the less metal I consume.
I'd almost stopped listening to metal entirely until around 2 years ago when i went through some tough stuff and chin-stroking psych didn't cut the mustard, whilst human hating aliens like Gwar definitely did.

Not really. There are a handful of electronic or dance tracks that i've come across that i enjoy but i've never done a deep dive into the genre and researched it like i do other genres because of my correctly or incorrectly held assumption that it has little to offer me. I listen to a fair bit of Dub reggae and i like some crossover artists that mix stuff like hip-hop , reggae and big beat/jungle like Dub Pistols and Asian Dub Foundation but my knowledge as a whole is pretty shallow.

Check those guys out, French dub at its best.
One of my ten best albums ever including all genres.

When it comes to late 60's/ early 70's there is still lots of stuff i really dig:

• Let's get the elephant out of the room right away with those 6 pristine Black Sabbath albums.
  • Plus there's Deep Purple's In Rock, Fireball and Machine Head
  • And along comes Zeppelin especially the stretch from II to Houses Of The Holy.
  • As much as I like Are You Experienced, Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland is simply on another level... absolutely gorgeous!
  • Another iconic album is The Who's Quadrophenia... as for the remainder of their stuff I like some songs here and there but man that album rules!
  • From 69's In A Silent Way to 75's Agharta Miles Davis has some absolutely amazing compositions. Years ahead of his time in some.
  • Obviously gonna toss Blue Cheer's Vincebus Eruptum in the mix... this is simply brutal.
  • Atomic Rooster's Death Walks Behind You is also damned good.
  • And what to say about the pre-garage rock/ punk fury of The Stooges' Raw power??? Absolutely brutal stuff.
  • Speaking of pre-garage rock and brutal: MC5's Kick Out The Jams and the Thunder Express Live album recorded in 72 are simply relentless.
  • Of course King Crimson's debut, In The Wake Of Poseidon and Red are mind blowing.
  • Speaking of mind blowing... Hawkwind's In Search For Space? This is THE trip.
  • Then Pink Floyd is a must include: although I reckon Dark Side Of The Moon is a classic I pretty much prefer stuff like their debut, A Saucerful of Secrets or Meddle (hell I even love More). Wish you were here is my favorite album up to 1975 though (and overall as well).

Of course there are iconic bands such as The Beatles, David Bowie Bob Marley and The Wailers, The Rollings Stones, Genesis and Yes... I dig some songs but never managed to quite enjoy the bulk of their work.

Last edited:
  • Atomic Rooster's Death Walks Behind You is also damned good.
Nice pick! I only know their debut (borrowed from a collegue a few years ago).
220px-Atomic_Rooster.jpg

Very good and heavy stuff!

As the years have gone by I'd say I listen to mostly metal these days on a consistent basis, but I also listen to a lot of folk/rock and regular rock stuff.

My favorite metal-related bands (other than Maiden) are: Dio (and all Dio-related bands), Opeth, Symphony X, Armored Saint, Dream Theater, Nightwish, Kamelot, Seventh Wonder, Metallica, Joe Satriani, Sabaton, Megadeth, Unleash the Archers, Judas Priest, Anthrax, Powerwolf and Amon Amarth.

Rock bands: Clutch, Rush, Jimmy Eat World, Bad Religion, Coheed and Cambria, Oasis, Ghost, Powderfinger, and Soundgarden

Folk/pop/etc: Tom Waits, Tracy Chapman, William Elliott Whitmore, Brandi Carlile, John Mayer, Matchbox Twenty, Sara Bareilles, Missy Higgins, Common Rotation, and Kacey Musgraves

Iron Maiden got me into music. First band I really listened to (around the time of Brave New World and Dance of Death) and then I got A Matter of Life and Death the day it was released.

Other than that, it's mostly 80's metal. Ratt, Dokken, Stryper, Mötley Crüe, Europe, Yngwie Malmsteen, Tesla, Mr. Big, Warrant, Danger Danger, Cheap Trick.

And the present day revival bands that movement has spawned - The Darkness, Hardcore Superstar, One Desire, Crashdïet, H.E.A.T., Reckless Love and many others.

To a lesser extent Jimmy Eat World, Muse & Thirty Seconds to Mars, T. rex.

Hi folks!

It's been a minute but I finally took some time to listen to the latest Maiden album (still processing that) so then I got curious about what's happening on the forum, popped in, got distracted by this thread, didn't want to work on my thesis anymore today, you know how it is.
Senjutsu actually got me reflecting on my own music journey which is probably why this thread caught my eye (nice one @Perun !)

Back when I joined this forum (in 2006?!), I was 16 years old, had just discovered Maiden's Brave New World and Dance of Death albums after a lifetime of almost only classical music and my mind was blown wide open to the world of metal but especially that of Maiden and anything adjacent (so like Judas Priest, Savatage, Bruce's solo stuff, Saxon). For a couple years there I was pretty "narrow" in what I listened to, there was a bit of range within the hard rock/metal genre (from Pink Floyd to Dream Theater, with some Primordial, Paradise Lost, Tyr, Sabaton, etc. thrown in), but nothing much beyond that. I was pretty dismissive of other genres really, which is funny considering how I've always been drawn to melodies, and there's loads of cool melodies about in all sorts of genres. Anyway, I went off to college in the States and while nothing too crazy music-wise happened there, I was still very much into Maiden etc., I think I was softened there just by all the (gay) dance parties and general ambience and meeting friends and people I respected that had wildly different tastes in music. Anyway, I found that I actually enjoyed some of this mainstream stuff that I probably would have scoffed at when 16 such as say, Coldplay, Lady Gaga, the like, and when I came back to Sweden I kept up with it because now this music also held a nostalgic value. Then I dated a Swede who listened to Swedish pop and I discovered artists like Veronica Maggio, Seinabo Sey and Tove Lo. Things got pretty weird from here, with artists like Infected Mushroom and Shpongle on the one end (psytrance/electronica), Heilung (neofolk) on the other, Major Lazer (electronic dance) and Muse on some other axis, with more and more 'old classics' like Thin Lizzy, Oyster Cult, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Queen, mixed in there. Then I moved to Scotland to do a PhD and a ton of Scottish folk (e.g. Niteworks, Elephant Sessions) got infused into the repertoire as well as ambient electronic stuff like Fakear and Carbon Based Lifeforms.

Fast forward to 2021, I'm 32 years old, and what the hell do I even listen to? Apart from jazz, rap, and punk, maybe a bit of everything especially if its got a "catchy" or moving tune. I wouldn't say I "hate" anything, I have no patience for whiney boys such as Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber (weirdly, Adele gets a pass even though her songs are arguably just as ridiculous in terms of subject matter but I like the tunes better???). Metal has taken a backseat, although artists such as Ghost (I like everything, especially Prequelle), Within Temptation (love Resist), and Amorphis (Queen of Time) have gotten a steady rotation over the past few years. I like to think that if it hadn't been for Iron Maiden back in 2006 though, none of this journey would have happened and I probably wouldn't be the person I am today.

Incidentally, when I heard the song Flamingo by Infected Mushroom for the first time, I was obsessed with it, especially the tune at 05:17-06:54 and I remember spending aaaaages trying to figure out why it sounded familiar or why I couldn't get it out of my head. After some months I figured it out...it is very similar to the main melody of When the Wild Wind Blows (starting at 0:50)! So maybe there's a bit of Maiden in everything I like after all...and now I'm thinking I should give The Final Frontier another listen...

Iron Maiden got me into music. First band I really listened to (around the time of Brave New World and Dance of Death) and then I got A Matter of Life and Death the day it was released.

Other than that, it's mostly 80's metal. Ratt, Dokken, Stryper, Mötley Crüe, Europe, Yngwie Malmsteen, Tesla, Mr. Big, Warrant, Danger Danger, Cheap Trick.

And the present day revival bands that movement has spawned - The Darkness, Hardcore Superstar, One Desire, Crashdïet, H.E.A.T., Reckless Love and many others.

To a lesser extent Jimmy Eat World, Muse & Thirty Seconds to Mars, T. rex.
*Flashes back to discussion about hair metal*. :---)

It depends on my daily mood, but I also like to listen to classical music, reggae, celtic/folk/latinoamerican music, rock, jazz, country, soundtracks... But, most of time, I'm more into hard rock, heavy metal, power metal, thrash metal, symphonic metal, speed metal, black metal, death metal, heavy rock, progressive metal, math metal, etc...

*Flashes back to discussion about hair metal*. :---)

Just looked it up and it's almost exactly 6 years since we had that discussion. Nothing much has changed on this front! :cheers: Just listen to more bands doing the same kind of things, discovered more 80's bands, some of the revival bands have put out some masterpieces and a few really good new ones have been formed and released albums.

Hi folks!

It's been a minute but I finally took some time to listen to the latest Maiden album (still processing that) so then I got curious about what's happening on the forum, popped in, got distracted by this thread, didn't want to work on my thesis anymore today, you know how it is.
Senjutsu actually got me reflecting on my own music journey which is probably why this thread caught my eye (nice one @Perun !)

Back when I joined this forum (in 2006?!), I was 16 years old, had just discovered Maiden's Brave New World and Dance of Death albums after a lifetime of almost only classical music and my mind was blown wide open to the world of metal but especially that of Maiden and anything adjacent (so like Judas Priest, Savatage, Bruce's solo stuff, Saxon). For a couple years there I was pretty "narrow" in what I listened to, there was a bit of range within the hard rock/metal genre (from Pink Floyd to Dream Theater, with some Primordial, Paradise Lost, Tyr, Sabaton, etc. thrown in), but nothing much beyond that. I was pretty dismissive of other genres really, which is funny considering how I've always been drawn to melodies, and there's loads of cool melodies about in all sorts of genres. Anyway, I went off to college in the States and while nothing too crazy music-wise happened there, I was still very much into Maiden etc., I think I was softened there just by all the (gay) dance parties and general ambience and meeting friends and people I respected that had wildly different tastes in music. Anyway, I found that I actually enjoyed some of this mainstream stuff that I probably would have scoffed at when 16 such as say, Coldplay, Lady Gaga, the like, and when I came back to Sweden I kept up with it because now this music also held a nostalgic value. Then I dated a Swede who listened to Swedish pop and I discovered artists like Veronica Maggio, Seinabo Sey and Tove Lo. Things got pretty weird from here, with artists like Infected Mushroom and Shpongle on the one end (psytrance/electronica), Heilung (neofolk) on the other, Major Lazer (electronic dance) and Muse on some other axis, with more and more 'old classics' like Thin Lizzy, Oyster Cult, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Queen, mixed in there. Then I moved to Scotland to do a PhD and a ton of Scottish folk (e.g. Niteworks, Elephant Sessions) got infused into the repertoire as well as ambient electronic stuff like Fakear and Carbon Based Lifeforms.

Fast forward to 2021, I'm 32 years old, and what the hell do I even listen to? Apart from jazz, rap, and punk, maybe a bit of everything especially if its got a "catchy" or moving tune. I wouldn't say I "hate" anything, I have no patience for whiney boys such as Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber (weirdly, Adele gets a pass even though her songs are arguably just as ridiculous in terms of subject matter but I like the tunes better???). Metal has taken a backseat, although artists such as Ghost (I like everything, especially Prequelle), Within Temptation (love Resist), and Amorphis (Queen of Time) have gotten a steady rotation over the past few years. I like to think that if it hadn't been for Iron Maiden back in 2006 though, none of this journey would have happened and I probably wouldn't be the person I am today.

Incidentally, when I heard the song Flamingo by Infected Mushroom for the first time, I was obsessed with it, especially the tune at 05:17-06:54 and I remember spending aaaaages trying to figure out why it sounded familiar or why I couldn't get it out of my head. After some months I figured it out...it is very similar to the main melody of When the Wild Wind Blows (starting at 0:50)! So maybe there's a bit of Maiden in everything I like after all...and now I'm thinking I should give The Final Frontier another listen...
Your weird electronical route was a bit similar as mine... I’d also include Entheogenic (the act). But then I discovered even better stuff, for me, like Autechre, Squarepusher and Venetian Snares! (-:

Back