Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am quite sure Roy Z said they have 17 songs ready, but I doubt we get to hear any of them unless they end up on a Maiden record.

You missed the part where Bruce is clearly ill as fuck. One initial listen through the files after the gig it should have been immediately obvious that the album should be scrapped, or taken from other shows.

He's one of the greatest metal singers of all time, and this album had lots of people on forums saying he can't sing anymore because of his age. If you're not aware of him being ill during the South America run then it's a reasonable conclusion for listeners to come to. It's frankly very bad for Maidens reputation.

It's not his best performances, it's not bad either.

What we could have gotten from maiden: studio diaries from Kevin Shirley, interviews on the album,
Studio diaries from Kevin Shirley are curious, but I personally would love a documentary for every album of Maiden (with interviews from the band members). :)

IESF shown that if Harris asks him for material up front, he'll give it. Empire shown that Harris reacted like a fan to his 20-minute experimental piano composition and deliberately went through the process of producing that song in order to put it on an album. Seems to me nowadays they're best buddies when it comes to the music enterprise, three of them (+Rod) run Maiden, and Dickinson probably sees it as an ultimate outlet when it comes to his musical aspirations. He quit, because in his words he couldn't do 'other stuff' with them. Currently, whatever he comes up with, the band is ready to go for it. Therefore making his solo thing redundant.

Also what kind of an album would it had to be, today, that wouldn't spawn a thought in the direction of 'why he isn't doing this with Maiden?'. It would have to be either experimental, or in the ballpark of extreme metal, or full on windpipe blues, I don't know. Judging by what we have, he and Roy made a concept metal album and in all probability until Dickinson gets a small club gigging urge like Harris did some years ago, it's not going to be completed. Because Maiden can be used for any material he has apparently, his songwriting won't be wasted and it will be exposed to millions of people. There is no chance of 1986 happening to him ever again.

Studio diaries from Kevin Shirley are curious, but I personally would love a documentary for every album of Maiden (with interviews from the band members). :)
That would be a dream!

But seriously? Roy Z said he has 17 songs done with Bruce?:S argghhhh this is so depressing

The way that I see the whole new album quality thing is...

IM has 4 great songriters. Bruce, 'arry, H and Jan. With Dave chiming in once in a while. Bruce has his own style, Steve has his own style, H is great with progressive/standard rock songs and Jan is great with the more exotic rock stuff... Where the problem lies is self-censorship IMO. A particular songwriter can bring an idea to life. But the other songwriters and band members should chime in and shape the song IMO...

TBOS has great examples of that... TRATB for instance. Why the hell do you need to play 2 guitar melodies in octaves along with vocals during the whole song... Why are there those fast vocal lines that Bruce clearly struggles with? Repetitative choruses? Here is where Bruce should say... "No, it doesn't work". Empire... Yeah I understand that Bruce came up with everything, but sometimes I wonder if they were just winging it while arranging the song for the band. It could've been done so much better.

This is the main problem I see with both TFF and TBOS. Not the songwriting quality. They still have great ideas and songs.

The way that I see the whole new album quality thing is...

Empire... Yeah I understand that Bruce came up with everything, but sometimes I wonder if they were just winging it while arranging the song for the band. It could've been done so much better.
I agree with this in the instrumental sections of the epics. They feel like several good riff ideas thrown in together rather than something evolving out of the song. 9.08 in BOS or 8.35, 9.12 in Empire for example

IESF shown that if Harris asks him for material up front, he'll give it. Empire shown that Harris reacted like a fan to his 20-minute experimental piano composition and deliberately went through the process of producing that song in order to put it on an album. Seems to me nowadays they're best buddies when it comes to the music enterprise, three of them (+Rod) run Maiden, and Dickinson probably sees it as an ultimate outlet when it comes to his musical aspirations. He quit, because in his words he couldn't do 'other stuff' with them. Currently, whatever he comes up with, the band is ready to go for it. Therefore making his solo thing redundant.

Also what kind of an album would it had to be, today, that wouldn't spawn a thought in the direction of 'why he isn't doing this with Maiden?'. It would have to be either experimental, or in the ballpark of extreme metal, or full on windpipe blues, I don't know. Judging by what we have, he and Roy made a concept metal album and in all probability until Dickinson gets a small club gigging urge like Harris did some years ago, it's not going to be completed. Because Maiden can be used for any material he has apparently, his songwriting won't be wasted and it will be exposed to millions of people. There is no chance of 1986 happening to him ever again.
This is the best and most reasonable take in a sea of pessimism. Bruce enjoys a level of creative control that negates the need for a solo career, plus he clearly doesn’t have the same interest in making music that’s outside of Maiden’s wheelhouse that he had when he quit the band. I think part of the reason he rejoined in the first place was that since he was writing Maiden-esque music anyway, he might as well be doing it in front of a Maiden sized audience.

This idea that Bruce hasn’t a released an album because he’s too busy touring books and selling beer is ridiculous and completely misunderstands what kind of person Bruce is. If he wanted to make a solo album, he would make the time for it. He’s doing things that interest him and a solo album isn’t one of them.

This is the best and most reasonable take in a sea of pessimism. Bruce enjoys a level of creative control that negates the need for a solo career, plus he clearly doesn’t have the same interest in making music that’s outside of Maiden’s wheelhouse that he had when he quit the band. I think part of the reason he rejoined in the first place was that since he was writing Maiden-esque music anyway, he might as well be doing it in front of a Maiden sized audience.

This idea that Bruce hasn’t a released an album because he’s too busy touring books and selling beer is ridiculous and completely misunderstands what kind of person Bruce is. If he wanted to make a solo album, he would make the time for it. He’s doing things that interest him and a solo album isn’t one of them.

All true. In addition, I know Chris Dale wrote this comment, regarding Bruce's possible new album:

"I think he would have already put the record out, if he was/he had been really interested in releasing it... Cause he has got enough material for a full LP, in case".

Dale regularly hangs out with Bruce, so I'm pretty sure he knows what he says.

My take is that he's not still proud enough of the tracks, or maybe that Steve asked him to sit and wait until Maiden is done, in order not to have a competitor! It goes without saying that we would compare the two albums, if they came out in pretty much the same period of time.
And I bet that wouldn't be good for both sides.

If I had to choose (and having, let's say, 2 albums in total before every project will call it quits) I personally would like to have 2 new Iron Maiden studio albums and 0 Bruce albums, rather than 1 new Iron Maiden studio album and 1 new Bruce studio album.

For the reason explained in the previous posts: Maiden nowadays basically allows Bruce to create (and release), with the band, everything he feels and he wants to.

Last edited:

This is his point of view (if true). That's rather acceptable when studying the person and psychology of our favourite lead singer. But many out here are fans of his musical ventures, first and foremost. Whatever the reason of the delay, people are going to stay unhappy about it, as long as it takes. Even if it can be accepted to a certain extent, it is still sad and may give enough reason for some pessimism about this subject.
We are the consumers. The Maidenfans board started because of Bruce's voice recorded on Maiden and solo records.

If that is true, then all the more reason for pessimism.
Bruce (written) music without Iron Maiden playing it, and with Roy Z as a co-writer (or whoever else, or even without some other writer) is worthwhile creating, is worthwhile to see released. When you think about it: in a very lengthy timeline in between Bruce and Maiden releases, Bruce would not be eager to do a solo record because he can do anything he wants in Maiden. Can he do anything he wants in Maiden? What does he do then? Hardly a thing. One studio album in 2011-2021, 11 years is virtually nothing. Great job Maiden, great job Bruce (4 Bruce songs in 11 years)!

Last edited:
However, this rescheduling/cancelation is not due to band not being able to perform. It's something bigger. And I doubt any of those circumstances were written in the contract with promoters. But if the band is now obliged to finish the LOTB tour specifically (not being able to re-brand the tour, considering the circumstances), no matter what, then this is one of the few big mistakes IM managment has ever done. Time is running out, Nicko will be 70 next year. And yet, we are waiting 2 years for the 3rd leg of a albeit great, but still "cabaret" IM tour, while sitting on new music for 2 years.

And not only that, having almost no fun MUSIC RELATED things from Maiden in 2 years. Jesus christ, you said you are recording all shows since what? 2006? Release a song or something then. A YT video of a performance. Just... Something music-related. That is pretty bad for a company (Iron Maiden LTD) that should be primarily focused around music. It isn't anymore...

The only thing that would save LOTB 2022 for me now is if they play a new single and switch 4 of the other songs, while adding new things to the set. That would be acceptable. Acceptable but not great.

Amen.
Amen to that indeed. I can't tell whether the deadlock regarding LOTB 3rd leg is because of the contractual reason you write, or because of Maiden's own doggedness to see it through, or both. Regardless it is absurd. I stood in the crowd at Tallinn 2018 and the sweet memory of the LOTB setlist reveal now feels like a very long time ago. Not sure how I feel about seeing the same tour 48 months later, dusted off for another run.

The other problem is the second paragraph point you make. The pandemic knocked everyone for six, so where was the thinking around doing other interesting things with the musical output of the band, the live archives etc etc. Literally anything. Bands like Metallica and Dream Theater and hell even Pearl Jam seem able to release content for their hardcore fans.

It has made me quite reflective. Any fan's relationship with a favourite band changes with time, of course it does. After 27 years for me, I certainly sense that Maiden's own metronome is slowing down, and it is a strange feeling indeed.

Just give us an official statement. That the album is done and will be released spring/summer/fall of 20XX and give us a roadmap of what is to come till then. I mean how hard is that to put out for the fanbase?
Tired of "i can't tell you because they would have to kill me" bullshit from the band members

Last edited:
Bruce (written) music without Iron Maiden playing it, and with Roy Z as a co-writer (or whoever else, or even without some other writer) is worthwhile creating, is worthwhile to see released.
100% agree. He can do anything he wants in Maiden, but his solo albums are always worthwhile because he is a fantastic vocalist and songwriter! And they are different to the Maiden ones - he likes to throw songs in different styles in them and this is always curious... (his six solo albums so far are full of that). One or two songs are going to sound like Maiden, but that makes the albums special.
Also, releasing one song in the style of his solo albums in a Maiden album can't be compared with a full exposure of his styles in a whole solo album from him. Bruce will release it/finish it, if he really wants... everything other are ridiculous excuses. He keeps saying during his book tours that new solo album will be released - let's see if it will be true.

I doubt we will see a Maiden album and a solo album of Bruce both released in a same year, but I don't care as long as they release them.

Last edited:
Probably we'll se Maiden album next year but.. I think they are not about the music - they're tired and (I think) Maiden should retire after 17th studio album. Maiden is not the band - just the marketing logo. All of them are living on their own - outside the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back