Or indeed trying to find the words to not express himself, since the actual subject of the song is clearly a closely-guarded secret :D

You are obviously approaching this from a completely different angle to me.

Definitely. If I ever meet Jan, I would not forget to ask him about this song!

By the way, why are we debating this in the Solo career thread? @Black Wizard would not be happy about this! :lol:

A very nice re-recording of the song too.

I quite like Gillan's Inn.
Yes, there are a lot of guests (Steve Morse, Joe Satriani, Jeff Haley, Janick, Tony Iommi, Glover, Paice, Lord….) It's very enjoyable album and we can hear his last wild screams) And it's very interesting to listen Black Sabbath's 'Trashed' with Tony Iommi, Roger Glover & Ian Paice.

Don't be - like I said it was a while back (3 years in fact). You can't be expected to trawl through the entire forum to see if something has already been mentioned every time before you post anything. Life's too short!

Anyway why not discuss it again? There's plenty else around here that's had several different discussions. I just thought linking them up might be useful, as I recalled that interesting discussion was had last time :)

Agreed. Why not discuss it again considering the album was released 15 years ago and last discussed here 3 years ago?

I’ll start. I am a big fan of Ian Gillan. The man might not be able to scream as he did in his heyday, but I love the timbre of his voice and his phrasing. His farts probably smell great too.

Janick’s work with Gillan was very good. Probably more adventurous than his work with Maiden.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Gillan and his solo and long career. He has a lot of solo albums. The one he made with Roger Glover in 88 or so, is very cool too. Many different styles and great voice trough all these years. I like how he tamed his voice the later years, the last Deep Purple album is fantastic.
I agree with you that Janick was more anventurous with Gillan band, maybe he stopped to write hard rock songs as then, or all the ideas that Steve takes from him is more slow with mysterious acoustic intros in Maiden songs and then both develop the songs.
The guitar solo looks pretty cool here in this version but with maiden sound, maybe more reverb or something.
I always think that Janick could record some solo stuff, maybe some instrumental type Rory Gallagher or Jeff Beck or call some friends musicians and write an album together.

I always think that Janick could record some solo stuff, maybe some instrumental type Rory Gallagher or Jeff Beck or call some friends musicians and write an album together.
I'd really like a Janick solo album/side project as well - we know he always turns up to "album-building sessions" with an hours worth of material and most of it doesn't get used and I can't help wondering, is he accumulating a stash of "non-Maiden" sounding stuff, like Adrian did (which eventually found fulfilment as the ASAP album)? It's not out of the question that Bruce or Ian Gillan could sing on it and that wouldn't make it sound like Maiden/Gillan (much like when Phil Lynott used to sing on Gary Moore records) but I'd really hope that Janick would do some of the singing himself. I've heard that '90s vid of him singing backing vocals on RTTH and I've heard him doing the "woah woah"s on The Clansman more recently and to be honest he sounds pretty tuneless on both (sorry Janick) but I'd still be really interested to hear what he would sound like singing seriously. I know he once said that if anyone heard him sing they would probably head for the hills but I'm still having a hard time accepting that someone with such a beautiful speaking voice is completely incapable of singing.

Back