GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Iced Earth as a whole, or Iced Earth prior to Barlow’s first exit?
Oh, sorry, I should have clarified: one of my least favorite Barlow outings. It's still preferable to the first two records and most of what came after his initial exit. Though I might actually like The Glorious Burden or whatever the newest one was called more. Or equal. Honestly not sure as they all bleed together for me after Horror Show.

My personal ranking goes something like this:

1. Horror Show
2. Something Wicked This Way Comes
3. Burnt Offerings
4. Night of the Stormrider
5. The Dark Saga
6. Incorruptible
7. The Glorious Burden
8. Dystopia
9. Framing Armageddon: Something Wicked Part 1
10. Iced Earth
11. The Crucible of Man: Something Wicked Part 2
12. Plagues of Babylon

The first two are just crushing. Burnt Offerings gets me with its atmosphere; Stormrider with its riffs. Dark Saga has fallen a bit for me but overall it’s pretty good. Incorruptible is a great later day record from them, finally with some passion and fire. The Glorious Burden is inconsistent but its highs are really high. Dystopia is pretty cookie-cutter but it’s much better than the Something Wicked saga that came before and is filled with a few good songs and 90% filler. The debut is what it is, and it’s a fun listen on occasion. Plagues of Babylon is shit.

My personal ranking goes something like this:

1. Horror Show
3. Burnt Offerings
4. Night of the Stormrider
5. The Dark Saga
6. Incorruptible
7. The Glorious Burden
8. Dystopia
9. Framing Armageddon: Something Wicked Part 1
10. Iced Earth
11. The Crucible of Man: Something Wicked Part 2
12. Plagues of Babylon

The first two are just crushing. Burnt Offerings gets me with its atmosphere; Stormrider with its riffs. Dark Saga has fallen a bit for me but overall it’s pretty good. Incorruptible is a great later day record from them, finally with some passion and fire. The Glorious Burden is inconsistent but its highs are really high. Dystopia is pretty cookie-cutter but it’s much better than the Something Wicked saga that came before and is filled with a few good songs and 90% filler. The debut is what it is, and it’s a fun listen on occasion. Plagues of Babylon is shit.
Off the top of my head:

1. Horror Show
2. The Dark Saga
3. Incorruptible
4. Something Wicked This Way Comes
5. Night of the Stormrider
6. The Glorious Burden
7. Burnt Offerings
8. Dystopia
9. Iced Earth
10. Plagues of Babylon
11. Framing Armageddon
12. Crucible of Man

AC/DC put out exactly 2 great albums, and this was one of them. Just missed my own GMAC nomination list by a hair, actually. I’m a little surprised that only one person nominated this in the end. Most of the tracks on here are stellar for what they are, including the title track, “If You Want Blood”, “Girls Got Rhythm”, “Walk All Over You”, and “Touch Too Much”. Even the weaker stuff like “Get It Hot” and “Love Hungry Man” are still strong and enjoyable. There appears to be a misprint, as the final track should just be titled “:mad:”, but that’s a minor blemish. Compared to a bottom-third Maiden album that’s stuck around for a touch too much, this is an easy decision. Sorry, @Black Wizard, but @Niall Kielt ‘s nominee takes this one. And Niall is officially forgiven for nominating Virtual XI, as this nomination cancels that one out. Winner: AC/DC

I love the music on this Opeth album, but I hate half the vocals. This UFO album, while fine, is not all that interesting, even if there’s nothing particularly wrong with it. While I’m not thrilled with either choice, deeply flawed greatness is still better than pedestrian dad rock in my book. Sorry, @Poto, but The Collikiplash Midknighterbowler’s choice is the preferable option this time. Winner: Opeth

This Iseditionist Earth album is an interesting midpoint between the thrashy-but-dynamic feel of Night Of The Stormrider and the more tepid Barlowfest to follow. It’s still pretty dynamic, the production is much better than its predecessor, and the songwriting is a half step up from most of the other IE material I’ve heard in the GMAC to date. As usual, half of Barlow’s vocals are pretty good and the other half are terrible, with lots of lame half-shouted stuff going on here. And Ojona Bin Schaffer is still better at pulling together strong raw materials for a song than actually weaving them into a cohesive whole. That said, it’s up against a really one-note Motörhead album that’s respectable, but not very exciting. Not super keen on either album, but sorry @Dityn DJ James, I’m going to hold Moroshterun’s choice over without bail until I’m sure it’s not a threat to itself or to others. Winner: Iseditionist Earth

This Stratovarius album is high-quality Yngwie worship with a stronger accent and more of a power metal twist. It’s a bit cheesy, but it’s consistently strong and it pushes all my neoclassical buttons. Hemispheres is definitely a better album overall, but Visions is actually a metal album, and I suspect it’s going to get steamrolled anyway, so I’ll throw it a bone. Sorry, @Midnight, but I’m going to go with Nightkid The Dark Prowler’s nominee here. Winner: Stratovarius

Last edited:
AC/DC put out exactly 2 great albums, and this was one of them.
What’s the other one? High Voltage? Let There Be Rock? Powerage? Or Back In Black?
All of these are not only great, but stone classics, in my view. Heck, I even like Flick of the Switch.

01 ALIVE IN ATHENS
(I know, not studio, but seriously awesome release)
02 DAYS OF PURGATORY
(I know, compilation / not a regular studio album, but seriously awesome release)

03. Night of the Stormrider
04. Burnt Offerings
05. The Dark Saga
06. Horror Show
07. Something Wicked This Way Comes
08. Iced Earth
09. The Glorious Burden
10. The Crucible of Man: Something Wicked Part 2
11. Framing Armageddon: Something Wicked Part 1
12. Dystopia
13. Plagues of Babylon
14. Incorruptible

Now, I genuinely like AC/DC with Scott and Highway is my second favourite album by them (right behind Let There Be Rock). Somebody already wrote here - and I wholeheartedly agree - that it's an album full of colour, very diverse and even - for them - kinda ambitious. But I still have to go with DOD, not because of Maiden bias (I believe I lack that one), but because this time around I want to stress the higher highs of one over the consistency of another. 'Cause DOD has Rainmaker, Montségur (okay, a bit by-the-numbers, but still has its moments), the title track, which is to these days the epitome of Maiden - I dare you to deny that - and Paschendale, which I don't love as much as everybody here, but it's a killer track and a rather unique one at that. Add No More Lies (yes, the chorus is a tad annoying, but the melody within the intro riff and verse/prechorus is great, the emotions are genuine and if we were to hate on every Maiden song with repetitive chorus...), the absolutely out-of-the-left field Journeyman (brutally overlong, but as a last track it can always be ended prematurely, at the right time) and the weird, AMOLAD-foreshadowing Face in the Sand and the album's not even that iffy in general.

Yes, Wildest Dreams is one of the most banal, melodyless songs they possibly ever did and Gates and New Frontier are absolutely uninventive, unimaginative, "basic" Maiden, but that's not such a terrible ratio. Plus the production/mixing, okay, I admit, my ears hurt a lot (especially in headphones) and Mutt Lange is the winner there. But no Maiden bias, I insist.

---

The next one is absolutely no contest and I wonder if so many people are intrinsically turned against any type of extreme metal, because Still Life should be winning by a long shot. Mikael Akerfeldt is the truest follower of Tony Iommi ever. There are riffs that you won't get anywhere else, like

at cca 1:42 onwards or the final part of Face of Melinda

(also, a totally non-extreme track! Hear hear, y'all!)

I was never too crazy about the concept, not because of the (anti-?)religious themes, but because it felt a bit too melodramatic and somewhat stretched over the whole album (a common problem with concept albums, I admit), but although I have some qualms with the album in general (too oppressive, not enough breathing space, some of the really nice melodies - the guitar harmonies in the aforementioned Lament - get drowned a tad by the production - I kinda wish they already knew Wilson at this time + some of the tracks do not thrill me as much - Moonlapse and Serenity in particular + Melinda was a bit easy to overplay) it's still one of the all-time greats.

Discovering Opeth changed my life for the better, really.

Now sure, I am all for every type of boomer music and I genuinely love UFO and I admit that Lights Out is a very, very great album. But holds no candle to the intriguing, unique approach, atmoshpere, riffs, general swagger of the Opeth's Red Album. A band that makes it worth it your while to learn how to listen to extreme metal, indeed.

---

I have said many times over I'm not all that crazy about IE and I don't particularly get their appeal... but Burnt Offerings are certainly one of their albums that piqued my interest, if at least a little bit. I can't even put my finger on it - what is it that sets it apart from both Stormrider and The Dark Saga (which both absolutely miss their mark with me)? Still not my cup of tea, but so are Motorhead, in general. I like them from time to time and I would possibly even vote for Another Perfect Day or even Orgasmatron or Sacrifice over IE. But out of these two, both not being really my thing, I think I'll go with IE's ambition than with Motorhead's lack thereof.

---

#noRush

(I first wanted to leave it that way, as a punchline, but I decided to behave) - I mean... were it Clockwork Angels or A Farewell to Kings (or maybe even Moving Pictures), I would even be tempted to vote for it, heck, even 'spheres is a somewhat nice album (sorta). But the unbridled adoration they get just irritates me to no end. I admit, my voting is political in this regard - I don't dislike Rush as much as it might seem, or at least as much as the overall devotion to them made me express around here. But man... this cult of personality...

Also, they're one of the bands that I got sick of the fastest - They shot high as one of my favourite bands at first - as evidenced even on this very forum - and then fell down really hard. Don't like the attitude, the lyrics (and the philosophy and politics behind them), the way they're using their talents and some of their stuff is downright boring.

Stratovarius are not particularly high on my list of the best power metal bands ever, but I'll take the approach and liveliness and sense of wonder they can supply over the three Canadian boys any time.

01 ALIVE IN ATHENS
(I know, not studio, but seriously awesome release)
02 DAYS OF PURGATORY
(I know, compilation / not a regular studio album, but seriously awesome release)
This. Other than maybe Horror Show I think that, with these, the studio albums can pretty much be skipped.

Still, I voted for Iced Earth this round, because Motorhead is similar for me: Gimme the No Remorse compilation and No Sleep Til Hammersmith, and I'm good.

Yea, Motorhead and Iced Earth have a similarity there for sure. I would say that Burnt Offerings is the most essential outside of the live album and compilation, maybe akin to one of Motörhead’s later albums like 1916.

UFO is in a similar category here too. The only album that should be on a GMAC list for me is the live album. Shouldn’t stand a chance against classic Opeth.

Dance of Death isn’t very good, Highway to Hell is excellent and doesn’t even need the “for AC/DC standards” qualifier. Like Motorhead, it feels like their music is so formulaic that even their early work is unfairly maligned despite being very exciting and well crafted hard/blues rock. Highway to Hell is the pinnacle, but they had a lot of good stuff prior to that and Back in Black isn’t a slouch either.

Look I know Highway to Hell is a classic and everything but I simply can't get the appeal. And if it's true part of that is due to the fact of not being an AC/DC fan it surely doesn't explain completely my indifference regarding HTH since albums like High Voltage (with Bon) and Back In Black (with Brian) sure do have lots of ultra appealing stuff IMO. So this one goes to Iron Maiden.

Ah! Still Life! Akerfeldt and company highest point in their metal era as far as I'm concerned (Yes! Even more than the also great Blackwater Park). Make no mistake: with the exception of the opening and closing tracks (merely good IMO) the composition and variety level on this thing is off the charts. Godhead Lament is perhaps the best Death Metal song ever created by these dudes ( I remember Emperor's Tongue Of Fire came out by this time and it sounded like this song's equivalent on Prog Black Metal. I used to play them side by side as there are some similitudes in the harmonies and build... two masterpieces). Benighted is simply put Opeth's best acoustic track (to know that Mikael composed based on an Abba line) and Moonlapse Vertigo... wow! The line between 70's Prog rock and Death Metal has never been so thin as in this great song. Face Of Melinda is yet another gorgeous calm tune and to close this utterly flawless spree there's Serenity Painted Death: a perfect mix between Prog, Death Metal, King Diamond and Celtic Frost. The story is kinda basic (tragic love story with religion as the major reason for disaster) but who cares when Still Life is an almost one of a kind record (since the following Blackwater Park is almost as great) and shows these guys making their huge long due breakthrough. And although UFO's records has some ok moments Opeth gets my vote easily.

Unlike Night Of The Stormrider and Iced Earth's debut, Burnt Offerings says little to me. Perhaps it's Barlow's more operatic voice that doesn't fit that well their early Speed/ Thrash influenced brand of Heavy Metal still present here (although I think Barlow is a better vocalist than the previous guys). To a point that the band kinda started softening a bit their sound on following records. On the other hand the compositions sound a bit ... I don't know... contained (for lack of a better term). Motorhead's Inferno is way more exciting.

Ah... Stratovarius. Let's engage on the latin etymology game since music wise this is a disaster. "Stratus" meaning "low level cloud" and "Varius" meaning "variety of". Mmmmmm... No wonder I love sunny weather. And taking in account the meaning of this band's name here's another great reason for loving it even more. Rush.

On the subject of rankings:
1: Burnt Offerings

2: Horror Show
3: Something Wicked This Way Comes
4: Stormrider
5: The Dark Saga

After that it doesn’t matter. Incorruptible, Something Wicked 1, and Dystopia are half decent. Gettysburg is cool.

Personally, I think Burnt Offerings is the best Iced Earth album. Funnily enough, I think Dante's Inferno, the one song people like to highlight from it, is the weakest on the record. It's great, don't get me wrong, but I think the rest is better.

The last time I ranked Iced Earth it looked like this:

1. Horror Show
3. The Dark Saga
4. Days of Purgatory
5. Incorruptible
6. Burnt Offerings
7. The Glorious Burden
8. Framing Armageddon
9. Dystopia
10. Night of the Stormrider
11. The Crucible of Man
12. Plagues of Babylon
13. Iced Earth

I don't count Alive In Athens, though it would be an easy #2 (maybe #1 if it was recorded after Horror Show). I think Days of Purgatory counts. It definitely highlights a lot of strong songs that were underserved by the production and performances on the first two records.

Honestly, anything after the top 4 is pretty inconsequential to me. Every album has one or two good-to-great tracks and is mostly bad or filler after that, kind of like post-System Megadeth or post-Ghost Reveries Opeth (minus the excellent Pale Communion). I'd rather just listen to a 12-15 song playlist of the best tracks over 6-8 albums.

Back