GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

It's true! Even if I may not be that much into the Annihilator catalogue (or yet, if it's not that late ;-) ), Jeff is the best riffer (with Jon).

I wouldn't expect too much if I were you, though. Alice in Hell is one of the best metal albums ever, but the band progressively got worse with each release, mostly because Waters' ego proved too strong to keep a band with a consistent musical vision together.

I wouldn't expect too much if I were you, though. Alice in Hell is one of the best metal albums ever, but the band progressively got worse with each release, mostly because Waters' ego proved too strong to keep a band with a consistent musical vision together.

So I take it you like AiH more than Never, Neverland? 'Cause I'm not really sure which I prefer.

Also, sorry for again turning this into an Iced Earth thread back there, I just hope youse appreciate the amount of work I'm investing in trying to "get" and like a band that youse love that much, it's definitely much more than the amount of work some here have invested in trying to "get" and like Opeth, for example... :innocent: :ninja:

If we're discussing thrash guitarists Jeff Waters is up there, but there's many I'd put above Schaffer.
Many? *bursts into laughing*. Lots of them I'd probably categorize as sloppy compared to Schaffer, especially execution wise.
The quality of or interest in a riff aside, Schaffer riffs better than most.

So I take it you like AiH more than Never, Neverland? 'Cause I'm not really sure which I prefer.

Also, sorry for again turning this into an Iced Earth thread back there, I just hope youse appreciate the amount of work I'm investing in trying to "get" and like a band that youse love that much, it's definitely much more than the amount of work some here have invested in trying to "get" and like Opeth, for example... :innocent: :ninja:
This IE talk is pretty on topic now.

Night of the Stormrider is the riff album of riff albums.
If that does nothing(!) at first listen, I doubt if bothering a 2nd time would change much, not a chance to be honest.

Last edited:
@JudasMyGuide: Why did you link that Kreator song? I genuinely don't get it. Mistake? :D

I literally re-read your post 3 times trying to find the connection lol

I put it there as an example of what I like in thrash riffing, as a contrast towards Schaffer's approach, which tends to leave me cold somewhat.

I can't quite put the difference in words, if someone is able to, that'd be nice.

As usual, as a non-native speaker I hereby apologise for any want of my English skill that makes me unable to express myself correctly and seeds confusion. Or maybe it's just the nature of my writing. Sorry, anyway. Both for the confusion and the fact I can't seem to like your band as much as I'd want to.

I put it there as an example of what I like in thrash riffing, as a contrast towards Schaffer's approach, which tends to leave me cold somewhat.

I can't quite put the difference in words, if someone is able to, that'd be nice.

As usual, as a non-native speaker I hereby apologise for any want of my English skill that makes me unable to express myself correctly and seeds confusion. Or maybe it's just the nature of my writing. Sorry, anyway. Both for the confusion and the fact I can't seem to like your band as much as I'd want to.
I got it. :)

I like Alice in Hell more than almost every metal album there is, bar a number that can be counted on your hands. Never, Neverland is good, but it lacks the last stroke of genius that its predecessor had.

Like the riffs are nice, but this to me is a proper thrash riffing
That's not even fair Judas... you just picked up one of the best Thrash Metal tracks ever made ehehehehehhe. WTSBR is simply put a masterpiece: Kreator's best song out of their best album: one of the best thrash albums ever done.

I like Alice in Hell more than almost every metal album there is, bar a number that can be counted on your hands. Never, Neverland is good, but it lacks the last stroke of genius that its predecessor had.

First of all: Wow, that's some serious love. Like, love that you can't refuse, that you can feel. Like, big, veiny, black, ten inches of love.

Second of all: ...eh, how do you know how many hands I have?

Third of all: Kidding aside, okay that's another thing I'll have to give a re-listen to.

That's not even fair Judas... you just picked up one of the best Thrash Metal tracks ever made ehehehehehhe. WTSBR is simply put a masterpiece: Kreator's best song out of their best album: one of the best thrash albums ever done.

Okay, you're right, I did pull out the Howitzers with that one, but considering the serious love that IE get here, I didn't want it to be underwhelming, so eh...

Yeah... kinda agree. IMO the stretch of album after Neverland are quite weak. Only exceptions are Carnival Diablos and Criteria For A Black Widow, both featuring some really amazing moments (especially Carnival... Denied and Battered have that pure original Annihilator flavor). But Waking The Fury and All For You were once again two major let downs and gave up on them. The last thing I listened from those guys (don't know what album but surely more recent) was utter commercial crap.

Yeah... kinda agree. IMO the stretch of album after Neverland are quite weak. Only exceptions are Carnival Diablos and Criteria For A Black Widow, both featuring some really amazing moments (especially Carnival... Denied and Battered have that pure original Annihilator flavor). But Waking The Fury and All For You were once again two major let downs and gave up on them. The last thing I listened from those guys (don't know what album but surely more recent) was utter commercial crap.

My sentiments were more or less similar. I mean, you'd expect I'd hate on an album called Refresh the Demon and with cover like this

1613736402908.png

just because I'm this dumb, Catholic bigot, right? Well, no, it just sucks ass mercilessly, just like its cover promises.

Unlike you I actually happened to enjoy both Feast and Suicide Society, though - not much, but they were pretty tolerable. And I didn't dislike Waking the Fury as much as you.

I mean, you'd expect I'd hate on an album called Refresh the Demon and with cover like this
it just sucks ass mercilessly, just like its cover promises.
Meh... not that bad. There are way worst covers than that. Looks like a poor man's Metallica's "Jump In The Fire" cover (There's a delightful section on this forum about bad covers)
just because I'm this dumb, Catholic bigot, right?
Nothing wrong about being Catholic or Christian in particular. I was raised by a Catholic mother (my father always had a more negative take on religion). At a certain point of my pre-teens I really lost my interest. Decades later on my adulthood I developed this obsession on the new testament (especially the Gospel) and started studying it in a different light. Nowadays I can overtly say the parabolas and learnings present on the Gospel are of really deep intelligence, moral and ethic richness. Now being a bigot is always bad (needless to say why).

Meh... not that bad. There are way worst covers than that. Looks like a poor man's Metallica's "Jump In The Fire" cover (There's a delightful section on this forum about bad covers)

Just because other covers are bad too doesn't mean that this one isn't.

Nothing wrong about being Catholic or Christian in particular. I was raised by a Catholic mother (my father always had a more negative take on religion). At a certain point of my pre-teens I really lost my interest. Decades later on my adulthood I developed this obsession on the new testament (especially the Gospel) and started studying it in a different light. Nowadays I can overtly say the parabolas and learnings present on the Gospel are of really deep intelligence, moral and ethic richness. Now being a bigot is always bad (needless to say why).

I was just kidding - making fun of the fact some might accuse me of disliking an album called like that or having such cover. Much like someone might accuse me of hating Ghost just because their image. It was meant in jest and not altogether serious.

Oh, and it is always necessary to say why ;) (but don't. Not here. Enough thread diverging as is)

Also, let me rephrase that, the album doesn't suck mercilessly, sorry Perun, there are others, by other bands for that. The cover and the title, however...
The album just feels... weird, misguided, unmemorable, banal. And I usually like when bands step out of their typical thing (if I recall correctly this one is one of those 90's experimental ones), but not here.

As usual, as a non-native speaker I hereby apologise for any want of my English skill that makes me unable to express myself correctly and seeds confusion.
Your vocabulary is more expansive than 99% of native English speakers I’ve met. You don’t owe us any apologies there. :)

As to the question of what makes Iced Earth good, that’s really tough. I started out anyway thinking it was just big tough American beers with my bros music. Now they’re a Top 10 band for me. (If I had the incentive to make such a list anyway.) What I like specifically about Burnt Offerings — and again, it was a pretty big grower for me; for a while I had a tough time connecting to it until I let it sit for a while and came back months later (outside of “Dante’s Inferno” which I loved right away) — is really just the dark and brooding and pretty much evil sound it has. Couple that with a progressive mindset and it holds no punches and marks itself as the heavy and thrashiest of the band’s records. I really like the journeys the songs go through, they always take you someplace interesting, sometimes circling back to the chorus, sometimes avoid it again. And Barlow’s voice is young and raw. Rough around the edges, but still the powerhouse that is personally one of my biggest inspirations. His voice is just so unique. The fact that his high notes can strike the sun with their power — which you won’t catch me saying about King Diamond’s falsetto since his voice is a lot whispier (which suits the music IMO but doesn’t make him a stronger singer, IMO) — blows my mind. The endings to “Burning Oasis” and “Creator Failure”, goddamn.

Also idk if you knew or not, but Schaffer and Barlow have a vocal “duet” in the title track’s verses. I agree Barlow doesn’t go the whole nine yards in that song, but it’s a brilliant set up to leave you wanting more... which you get in the next seven tracks, plentifully. And a shoutout to “The Pierced Spirit”, which is an amazing interlude. It doesn’t even deserve the interlude moniker cuz it’s just an overall awesome song. The acoustic with building atmospherics behind it, and possibly Barlow’s most emotional performance ever. Such a good set up to the monster that’s being assembled just behind it.

And a note on Night of the Stormrider. I really wish Barlow was singing on this album, but that’s okay, we’ve got Alive in Athens (and Days of Purgatory). But its biggest draw is the sheer onslaught of riffage from Schaffer. My girlfriend in particular thought the album slapped, and it may even be her favorite guitar sound / riff style overall. Her enjoyment ended up making me like “Desert Rain” way more than I once did. (Though I must confess that “Angel’s Holocaust” is by far my favorite of its tracks, even more so than the heralded “Travel in Stygian”, so have at me lol.)

Anyway yeah, it’s one of those things where I guess it just has to click for you. For me it managed to and I’m happy it did. Schaffer isn’t gonna take that away from me.

Fun fact: Dante's Inferno was indexed as three tracks on the original version of Burnt Offerings. I'll probably keep it as one track on my CD rip, though.

Fun fact: Dante's Inferno was indexed as three tracks on the original version of Burnt Offerings.
Wikipedia says something slightly different:

On the original CD, released in 1995, "Dante's Inferno" was divided into three parts on a single track.

I looked it up, and saw a couple variants of the back cover, and they both had “Dante’s Inferno” as one song, but which three chapters alongside. Is that what you meant, or that they literally split it into three tracks a la Nightwish’s “Lappi”?

Back