Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I can’t understand what Diesel was saying in that paragraph. Someone got pregnant and he went around town looking for beer but everything was closed? I don’t get it.
My friend was having sex, there were condom issues. They started to panic because this meant there was a pregnancy risk. I helped their significant other look for Plan B, a drug that has a 95% chance of nulling pregnancies after unprotected sex. Unfortunately, all the pharmacies were closed. I made a joke about beer and TV as a reference to the Maiden song “2 A.M.” since that was about the time that I was out there looking for the Plan B.

I'd comment on several things Diesel said, but I know better, so I'll refrain myself.

However, sorry to hear about the negative stuff in your life overwhelming you and I wish you the best in overcoming it. You and your girlfriend are in my thoughts, because I know what it is to be caged by your own mind. Hope it gets better soon. For what it's worth to you, I'm praying for you two also.

Okay, so maybe one comment - I like IE's Inferno, but everyone including Schaffer seems to forget that's only the first (and the most "sexy" for general audience) third of the whole work.
There's no such thing as Dante's Inferno. There's only the Commedia, which also includes Purgatorio and Paradiso. And if you recall it's just as much about a spiritual journey of an archetypal "person", you might not see it in such a depressing manner.

In fact, Inferno itself is very uplifting. I read it as a part of my periodical Dante re-read relatively recently.

However, sorry to hear about the negative stuff in your life overwhelming you and I wish you the best in overcoming it. You and your girlfriend are in my thoughts, because I know what it is to be caged by your own mind. Hope it gets better soon. For what it's worth to you, I'm praying for you two also.
Like I said to MindRuler, it really does mean a lot. And I might be an atheist, but that doesn’t mean I’m untouched or disgruntled when someone prays for me. Like I said... it really does mean a lot. <3

I'd comment on several things Diesel said, but I know better, so I'll refrain myself.
I feel like I know where this is going and I think we could definitely have an interesting discussion, lol.

Okay, so maybe one comment - I like IE's Inferno, but everyone including Schaffer seems to forget that's only the first (and the most "sexy" for general audience) third of the whole work.
There's no such thing as Dante's Inferno. There's only the Commedia, which also includes Purgatorio and Paradiso. And if you recall it's just as much about a spiritual journey of an archetypal "person", you might not see it in such a depressing manner.

In fact, Inferno itself is very uplifting. I read it as a part of my periodical Dante re-read relatively recently.
As someone who hasn’t read The Divine Comedy, I actually agree. I plan on reading all three parts and, yknow, would love to write (a) song(s) about the ‘trilogy’ of parts.

I dunno if it’s the same where you live, but here in the States — just lookin’ ‘round the friendly Barnes & Noble, for instance — the three sections are published separately. That probably has a lot to do with the public’s mindset of viewing Inferno as one work (although any scholars and such can correct me).

Also, Hell is trvly ðe most metal ov ðe þree. But you didn’t hear that from me. :ninja:

Last edited:
I feel like I know where this is going and I think we could definitely have an interesting discussion, lol.

I don't disagree, but if, then only via PM, once I'll be slightly less busy

I plan on reading all three parts and, yknow, would love to write (a) song(s) about the ‘trilogy’ of parts.

I can only commend that decision (commend, not condemn :ninja:), because it truly is one of the all-time greats.
Just be sure to not only get a good translation (as far as the English ones go, I'd recommend Dorothy Sayers' one - yes, it might sometimes sound slightly strained because of her attempt to keep the form/rhyme, but it's also great in attempting to keep the actual content - she is the author of one of the better commentaries, which brings me to...)...

... and get a good commentary, too, if all else fails, then at least the Wikipedia articles for each of the three parts, they are surprisingly well-done, IMHO.

If you wanted more, there's also the whole Yale course about it online on YT -

the sound quality is not great and the guy has an accent, but it has subtitles, I think. Totally worth it, especially after you've read some basic stuff.

I dunno if it’s the same where you live, but here in the States — just lookin’ ‘round the friendly Barnes & Noble, for instance — the three sections are published separately. That probably has a lot to do with the public’s mindset of viewing Inferno as one work (although any scholars and such can correct me).

Here it's mostly been published together throughout time, but in the public mind, it's still mainly Inferno. Also maybe because of all the pop-cultural references coming a lot from American media (heh, in House MD the titular character talks about it with Wilson, IIRC), but also because it's the first one, the "coolest" one and possibly the most understandable for a non-Catholic nah, scratch that, for most modern people without extensive commentary and/or their own spiritual awakening.

As a friend of mine said - "everyone understands Hell. Not everyone understands Paradise". Also, I think he said "understanding the Comedy via Inferno only is like visiting Paris merely through its sewer system - like, it gives you an idea and it's pretty cool by itself, but it's not the real deal."
But I think he stole that from someone.

EDIT: Ah, he stole it from the aforementioned Dorothy Sayers! Clever lad :D

EDIT 2: Also, if you do manage to read and understand it whole, I'd be really, really interested in any of your attempts at adapting it as a whole, not just the first part. Really, keep me informed, please.

Last edited:
I'd recommend Dorothy Sayers' one
Love Sayers, love Sayers. Her Lord Peter Wimsey novels are fantastic. I definitely will need to check out hers. I actually own the ‘Barnes & Noble Classic’ edition of Inferno though (just never got around to reading it), which is the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow translation. Any particular thoughts on that one?

Also, if you do manage to read and understand it whole, I'd be really, really interested in any of your attempts at adapting it as a whole, not just the first part. Really, keep me informed, please.
Will do! Never know what may happen. My girlfriend is a pianist and comes up with some great melodies and ideas, and my head overflows with that kind of stuff as well, so we like to share stuff with each other and work as a team on music when we have time for it. So yeah, if anything comes of this I’ll definitely let you and the rest of MaidenFans know.

Love Sayers, love Sayers. Her Lord Peter Wimsey novels are fantastic. I definitely will need to check out hers. I actually own the ‘Barnes & Noble Classic’ edition of Inferno though (just never got around to reading it), which is the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow translation. Any particular thoughts on that one?

IIRC, he is sometimes really literal in his structure and word choices, which gives off this kinda "foreign" vibe (like there's something "off" about that English), that can be both an advantage or a nuisance, depends on your personal taste. Still very poetic, again, IMHO.
I liked it more than Mandelbaum, personally, but many people might disagree.

Also, I admit that I'm no expert on the English translations - I've read mostly bits and pieces, never read the whole work in anything else than Czech, so take it with a grain of salt.

However, as long as you yourself will find that translation aesthetically pleasing and read a commentary as well (so you won't lose the meaning in translation), I'd say it doesn't matter all that much.

Bought Alter Bridge's Fortress on vinyl at the local shop, in pretty mint condition (might have been played once. Might) for 30 bucks. Looking at Discogs, with 7 available copies in the marketplace. Cheapest is like 260 bucks. I'm sure it's a bit steep, but it's obvious it's pretty rare and I can sell it for more than I bought it for.

Bought Alter Bridge's Fortress on vinyl at the local shop, in pretty mint condition (might have been played once. Might) for 30 bucks. Looking at Discogs, with 7 available copies in the marketplace. Cheapest is like 260 bucks. I'm sure it's a bit steep, but it's obvious it's pretty rare and I can sell it for more than I bought it for.

Is it just me, or are the high points of the Deris era Helloween of equal greatness as those of the Kiske era? I'm revisiting Keeper: The Legacy. It's really good, and some tracks are just stunning.

Back