IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
This might actually be my top five. Hallowed, Rime and Phantom are top three with Infinite Dreams possible fourth. Powerslave is a strong contender for fifth. Happy to see you have good taste. :D

Ouch. Infinite Dreams going out? As much as I like Mariner's verses, sitting through c.3 minutes of creaking and discordant ringing notes in the middle puts me off it.

As much as I like Mariner's verses, sitting through c.3 minutes of creaking and discordant ringing notes in the middle puts me off it.
Ze6Ihgo.gif

I agree though :D

This is the definitive list of all the songs that made Top 10 so far in Iron Maiden Survivors. 1st place in a Survivor gets 10 points, 2nd place gets 9 points etc. (Note that there was a tie in the 1st Survivor, so that's why both Hallowed and Rime got 10 points from it.)

TotalIIIIIIIVVVI
1Hallowed Be Thy Name48101081010
2Rime Of The Ancient Mariner441091078
3Powerslave3988599
4Phantom Of The Opera3056487
5Paschendale2577722
6Infinite Dreams2364355
7Dance Of Death15636
8Caught Somewhere In Time1394
9Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son1165
10Aces High9432
11Sign Of The Cross624
12Brighter Than A Thousand Suns532
13Revelations55
14Wasted Years5113
15The Evil That Men Do44
16The Book Of Souls33
17Brave New World22
18Alexander The Great211
19Ghost Of The Navigator11
20The Clansman11

It will be complete when this Referendum ends. Infinite Dreams is entering Top 5 over Paschendale, but I don't think there will be more changes.

Interesting... did a roughly ordered list of my actual top 20 songs and it came out with some curious results:
  1. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner (#2) *
  2. Aces High (#10)
  3. Wasted Years (#14) **
  4. Revelations (#13)
  5. Sign Of The Cross (#11)
  6. Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner (NR) ***
  7. Phantom Of The Opera (#4)
  8. Powerslave (#3)
  9. For The Greater Good Of God (NR)
  10. Infinite Dreams (#6)
  11. The Prophecy (NR)
  12. Killers (NR)
  13. Murders In The Rue Morgue (NR)
  14. Moonchild (NR)
  15. Heaven Can Wait (NR)
  16. Can I Play With Madness (NR)
  17. Caught Somewhere In Time (#8)
  18. Montsegur (NR)
  19. Still Life (NR)
  20. When The Wild Wind Blows (NR)
* Songs ranked in the top 10 (6 songs)
** Songs ranked between 11 and 20 (3 songs)
*** Songs not ranked in the top 20 (11 songs)

What's yours?

One of the reasons why I don't put Rime in the very top tier of Maiden songs is because despite being 13 minutes long, it's the mid-section that makes the song. Granted, it's a bloody amazing mid-section, but the rest of the song around it really just exists to frame it appropriately. There are other Maiden songs (e.g. Hallowed, Phantom) which are just so powerful throughout that there's no moment that presents itself as "the good part".

I wouldn't be so quick to discount the onslaught of great riffs and harmonies in Rime, there's one right after the other. The middle section is awesome, but it wouldn't work if the rest of the song wasn't also top tier.

As much as I like Mariner's verses, sitting through c.3 minutes of creaking and discordant ringing notes in the middle puts me off it.

One of the reasons why I don't put Rime in the very top tier of Maiden songs is because despite being 13 minutes long, it's the mid-section that makes the song. Granted, it's a bloody amazing mid-section, but the rest of the song around it really just exists to frame it appropriately.

Funny juxtaposition of posts.

Rime is perfect. The verses with their variations serve the story-telling purpose well and this time I think Steve got it right when writing lyrics based on someone else's work (unlike To Tame a Land).

The part after the calm section is among the best sections of any Maiden song, no, sod that, any song in the entire heavy metal genre.

As for the calm part, it is also perfect:

• If you're in the right mood you can just sit through the calm mid part and imagine you're caught on the ship while the spirits of the crewmen leave their fallen bodies, one by one and the Mariner comes to realize he is now all alone
  • And if you're not in the mood for that, it's just long enough to go and take a piss before getting another beer from the fridge.

Back