Iron Maiden Survivor 2013: Results Thread - Hallowed reclaims the throne!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
And the stuff before that instrumental part (which includes one of Adrians most memorable solos!) starts could be even more legendary...
... The curse it lives on in their eeeeeeeeeeeeeyes (from 2.27)

Last edited:
I love Rime. It has an amazing buildup, perhaps the single best one. The way it releases the tension when the solos kick in is nothing short of magical. What follows then are blinding solos.

But to me, what happens in Phantom is much more exciting. It is not 'only' the buildup and release of tension, but it is the construction and maintaining of a dramatic structure that consists of riffs, solos and harmonies that feed off each other and gets more tense and exciting, until the last segment virtually electrocutes you with its energy from the riff/solo/harmony combination. Yet the tension is not relieved before the vocals kick back in. There is so much more going on in this seemingly simple passage than in all of Rime.

Not that I am complaining but unfortunately I have never witnessed both songs at one and the same concert. Both have given me the most chills when present. For me, Phantom was certainly the highlight of last year's set, together with Seventh Son and Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

Phantom might indeed "release" more energy than Rime. Phantom hits you in a very direct way. Thinking back, I am still jumping ...

But I am more in awe of Rime's richer colours. Not only the build-up, there's also the atmosphere, the darkness and its obsessive storyline. Mesmerizing. And its collection of guitar riffs should not be underestimated. :shred:

Last edited:
As I said, you will never hear me say a single bad word about Rime. Except maybe that the line, 'the albatross begins with it's vengeance' doesn't make for the most favourable out of context quote. Still, the overall goosebump count I get from Phantom is higher.

Bind all of us together,
Ablaze with Pope and mead,
No storm or heavy weather
Will rock the boat you'll see

Without thinking too much about it the four songs left may have the four best instrumental passages.
Certainly contenders.

Back