Official American Football Thread

Who knows what will happen. The draft, which is next week has gone full virtual. I’m glad that it’s still happening. Always a very exciting period to me.

That will be weird, seeing Brady in another uniform. He really should just retire.

As a Patriot's fan, I'm not sure how I feel about this whole business. In a way I'm glad because the process wasn't a long one and didn't turn too ugly, while it allows old Bill to basically blow the roster up and start from scratch, which may be good or at least incredibly interesting. On the other hand, it's weird to see him play in any other uniform and would have been nice to see him retire a Patriot (I'm sure he will by just signing with the team for a day when he does hang up his cleats, but still). I don't buy for a second that they couldn't have accommodated him financially, I think it's more about ego's and plans for the future not aligning (my take is Bill wants to blow the whole thing up and Brady wanted some wide receivers at least he could trust). I hope this turns out well for all involved, I think Tampa could do with something better than Jameis and even if TB isn't the long-term answer maybe they can have a run this or next year, they have all the other pieces in place including a good coach. Now please fix those atrocious-looking uniforms!

As a Patriot's fan, I'm not sure how I feel about this whole business. In a way I'm glad because the process wasn't a long one and didn't turn too ugly, while it allows old Bill to basically blow the roster up and start from scratch, which may be good or at least incredibly interesting. On the other hand, it's weird to see him play in any other uniform and would have been nice to see him retire a Patriot (I'm sure he will by just signing with the team for a day when he does hang up his cleats, but still). I don't buy for a second that they couldn't have accommodated him financially, I think it's more about ego's and plans for the future not aligning (my take is Bill wants to blow the whole thing up and Brady wanted some wide receivers at least he could trust). I hope this turns out well for all involved, I think Tampa could do with something better than Jameis and even if TB isn't the long-term answer maybe they can have a run this or next year, they have all the other pieces in place including a good coach. Now please fix those atrocious-looking uniforms!

I'm sure it was a little of both, money and egos. Brady keeps pushing his retirement age. First he said 40, then 41, now he says 45. Brett Farve didn't know when to quit either. I'm sure the Patriots, while glad they have one of, if not THE best quaterback EVER, father time spares no one and they were uncomfortable accomodating that. Brady needs to win in another uniform to maintain his rep. Messier won without Gretzkey in EDM AND NY. Gretzkey never won again. Manning did win in Denver, another hall of fame QB not ready to quit, but couldn't stay with the team that drafted him.

Gretzkey is still the Great One, but not winning another championship is a stain on his legacy. Brady will also be an amazing QB no matter what, but after Manning won in Denver... he needs to win wherever he lands to cement himself as the GOAT.

Gretzkey is still the Great One, but not winning another championship is a stain on his legacy.
Or a boost to Patrick Roy's.

tenor.gif

Gretzkey is still the Great One, but not winning another championship is a stain on his legacy. Brady will also be an amazing QB no matter what, but after Manning won in Denver... he needs to win wherever he lands to cement himself as the GOAT.
Brady is already the GOAT. 6 Super Bowl wins. Nobody is even close. I don't think he will win another in Tampa, regardless he will still go down as the greatest QB ever to play the game.

All I can think of is Brodeur in St. Louis. I feel like this is going to end in a humiliating failure.

All I can think of is Brodeur in St. Louis. I feel like this is going to end in a humiliating failure.
Would making the playoffs count as a humiliating failure? I really feel they'll make it there this year. Bruce Arians teams ALWAYS have a good offense. That alone should push them in.

Brady is already the GOAT. 6 Super Bowl wins. Nobody is even close. I don't think he will win another in Tampa, regardless he will still go down as the greatest QB ever to play the game.

Gretzky won 4 in Edmonton along with Messier, but Messier won a 5th in EDM without him AND a 6th one in NY... >Henri Richard won 11 titles... he's not the GOAT though. LC said it best in the hockey thread, you're only as good as your last achievement (paraphrasing). Rhonda Rousey was the best female MMA fighter, until she wasn't. Instead of getting back in there she's disappeared. Sports are fickle like that, either you end on top, overstay your welcome or fizzle out in shame.

Gretzky won 4 in Edmonton along with Messier, but Messier won a 5th in EDM without him AND a 6th one in NY... >Henri Richard won 11 titles... he's not the GOAT though. LC said it best in the hockey thread, you're only as good as your last achievement (paraphrasing). Rhonda Rousey was the best female MMA fighter, until she wasn't. Instead of getting back in there she's disappeared. Sports are fickle like that, either you end on top, overstay your welcome or fizzle out in shame.
I guess I'm speaking only in the football world then.

Ok, strictly football. To really cement himself as a total beast, he has to win on his new team, whichever it is. Otherwise all you'll hear is how he was only good on the Patriots because of their system and coaches and endless debates about when he should've retired. If he wins, he silences all the haters.

What I'm the most curious about is to see how many people now will become Tampa Bay fans all of a sudden. I imagine it will be similar to when Lebron joined the Miami Heat in 2010 and everyone suddenly become Heat Fans.

What I'm the most curious about is to see how many people now will become Tampa Bay fans all of a sudden. I imagine it will be similar to when Lebron joined the Miami Heat in 2010 and everyone suddenly become Heat Fans.
I think they already sold out of season tickets, which would be a record for that franchise.

I see where you're coming from Onhell, and I recognize I'm biased as a Patriots fan, but I think the debate between Brady and Manning ended a number of years ago, if Brady wins outside of New England then that's just cementing him as the GOAT, above Montana or anyone else. Manning did win at Denver but how did that look? The defense carried that team all the way, Manning was a liability. Although if the Bucs fail to make the playoffs or the Superbowl I'm sure Brady will take the blame, which will taint his legacy, deserved or not.
Anyway, with Gronk and everyone else on the offensive side of the ball it should be exciting watch, it's the defense I'm more concerned about. No doubt they'll pull out all the stops to make it happen, they have a window and this is it.

Cam as a Patriot is mildly positive news, injury concern is the first question-mark which clearly the Patriots are worried about too, hence the one year prove it deal.

Back