IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
The Legacy
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Fear Of The Dark
No Prayer For The Dying
Public Enema Number One
Mother Russia
Responding to the reactions: In fairness to me, every song in this round is a 7/10 or higher in my book except the massively overrated “Afraid To Shoot Strangers”, which is a merely OK 6/10 (it’s basically a fairly boring instrumental with a few lyrics, though the vocals that are there are nice).

“The Legacy” gets the shaft for its awful vocal harmonies.

“Fear Of The Dark” gets it because it‘s a wildly overrated epic-by-the-numbers with dumb lyrics that people apparently like because they enjoy jumping up and down and singing a simple chorus at a concert (also see: “The Clansman”).

“Mother Russia” has a weird, stompy nursery rhyme quality that never quite sat well with me, and the instrumental section owes a little too much to “Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son”.

“No Prayer” and “Public Enema” are both good, but I like the other contenders on NPFTD more.

tenor.gif

Mmmmm tough one... No weak songs here.
I'll go with No Prayer, Judas, Public Enema, Mother Russia and Lord Of Light (just to untie AMOLAD)

Public Enema Number One
Fates Warning
Run Silent Run Deep

“Mother Russia” also borrows liberally from the title track of Seventh Son during the instrumental section.

Most strongly the keyboard parts (they sound epic). It's a great (underrated) song with a fantastic instrumental section.
Eliminated after Round 15:
Wasting Love - 17 votes
Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter - 17 votes

''Wasting Love'' - :(.... it's in my top 10. BYD... 'TTS is also a great song.

Responding to the reactions: In fairness to me, every song in this round is a 7/10 or higher in my book
People are making too much of a buzz out of it indeed but what strikes me here is precisely what you mentioned regarding the last two songs: comparison. Let's see:
Afraid To Shoot Strangers”, which is a merely OK 6/10 (it’s basically a fairly boring instrumental with a few lyrics, though the vocals that are there are nice).
Yeah, I can see why you can get turned off by the slow part and odd tempo signature. I simply love the song but can actually understand where you're coming from since it's not your regular Maiden song.

“The Legacy” gets the shaft for its awful vocal harmonies.
Now this simply has no explanation whatsoever... I can get you may dislike this song for a couple of reasons and it's fair you pick it... but awful vocals? Errrr... Ok.

“Fear Of The Dark” gets it because it‘s a wildly overrated epic-by-the-numbers with dumb lyrics that people apparently like because they enjoy jumping up and down and singing a simple chorus at a concert
I totally get your point and believe me no one's as fed up with FOTD as I do. But aren't you being a bit of a victim of overplaying? If you compare it with at least half of the songs here I still think it holds its ground nicely. Nevertheless I really understand this pick

“Mother Russia” has a weird, stompy nursery rhyme quality that never quite sat well with me, and the instrumental section owes a little too much to “Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son”.
Also love this song and think it's far from being a nursery rhyme. However I must concur it kinda reminds of something the guys left out from the Seventh Son era. And that's what makes the song good IMO (such is the quality of Seventh Son). But overall I also get your point. I like Mother Russia a lot but had to vote for it precisely due to comparison factors (I've been picking 5 songs every turn and would like carry on doing so).

“No Prayer” and “Public Enema” are both good, but I like the other contenders on NPFTD more.
Yup... I agree. those are two cool songs but I absolutely concur that they are bottom tier when compared with the rest of the lot.

Plus, although it's a quite odd picking list and I don't agree with it why must it get so much flack? Especially when songs I myself and others consider to be top tier are getting so many votes... songs like Tailgunner, Be Quick or Benjamin Breeg? It's not that you're picking Rime Of The Ancient Mariner or The Number Of The Beast or something...

Last edited:
Yeah, I can see why you can get turned off by the slow part and odd tempo signature. I simply love the song but can actually understand where you're coming from since it's not your regular Maiden song.
I like atypical Maiden songs like “Prodigal Son”, so that's not the issue. I actually like the slow part. It’s the patchwork songwriting and fairly boring instrumental parts that don’t work for me.
Now this simply has no explanation whatsoever... I can get you may dislike this song for a couple of reasons and it's fair you pick it... but awful vocals? Errrr... Ok.
Awful vocal harmonies. Not as bad as “Gates Of Tomorrow” or anything, but the super-high harmonies in “The Legacy” are still like nails on a chalkboard to me. I like the 70s Genesis vibe at the beginning, though.
I totally get your point and believe me no one's as fed up with FOTD as I do. But aren't you being a bit of a victim of overplaying? If you compare it with at least half of the songs here I still think it holds its ground nicely.
I’ve always felt like “Fear Of The Dark” had dumb lyrics, and the main guitar parts are boring and rote. On the whole it’s still a good song, but I have never understood why people view it as some timeless classic. Every time they play it in concert I keep thinking about all the other songs I’d rather be hearing instead.
Also love this song and think it's far from being a nursery rhyme. However I must concur it kinda reminds of something the guys left out from the Seventh Son era. And that's what makes the song good IMO
Something about the verse delivery on “Mother Russia” just rubs me the wrong way — the rhythm and the melody of it feel rote and forced, and the instrumental section sounds like reheated leftovers from SSOASS rather than a sweet missing track from that period. It still holds together pretty well, but I don’t have a lot of respect for it.

I like atypical Maiden songs like “Prodigal Son”, so that's not the issue. I actually like the slow part. It’s the patchwork songwriting and fairly boring instrumental parts that don’t work for me.
Ah... got it! Yup... it seems that the first and second half of the song kinda connect abruptly. I take it more like an over extended intro. And the same works to a lesser extent to the uptempo section. And although I really like every single note from those parts I really understand the patchwork feel like, something that annoys me a lot in other more usual Maiden sounding songs.

Awful vocal harmonies. Not as bad as “Gates Of Tomorrow” or anything, but the super-high harmonies in “The Legacy” are still like nails on a chalkboard to me. I like the 70s Genesis vibe at the beginning, though.
Ok I get the typology you're referring to but unlike the previous point I strongly disagree here. IMO it's precisely the vocals that give GOT some quality (and the pre-chorus namely the bass licks)

Back