Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I can think of something ... how about this?

A Christmas countdown children's television program where the main person is the shoemaker in an idyllic small town. He has a pet. This pet is an anthropomorphic shoe whose favourite food is parsley, and he lives in a compartment in the shoemaker's work bench.

In each episode, this shoe pet takes responsibility for showing a film. Each film is of the same format: The intro/outro is taken from the East German children's television show Sandmännchen but with a Norwegian text. After the intro, a voice reads one of the rights stated in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child - before the outro plays.

Sorry, :wtf: did I just read?

Well Im from Northern Ireland and its certainly not a mild word here but we get the southern Irish tv and radio and it certainly seems that there is a different attitude to certain swear words south of the boarder. Ive heard 'shite' and 'bollocks' used casually on southern radio. Im all for it!
Ive never heard twat used casually again though, maybe it was a one off. Maybe @srfc can enighten us.

Some curses would certainly be not considered as offensive, like that time Wayne Rooney effed into the camera, if that had have been an Irish sportsman it wouldn't even have been noticed

I can think of something ... how about this?

A Christmas countdown children's television program where the main person is the shoemaker in an idyllic small town. He has a pet. This pet is an anthropomorphic shoe whose favourite food is parsley, and he lives in a compartment in the shoemaker's work bench.

In each episode, this shoe pet takes responsibility for showing a film. Each film is of the same format: The intro/outro is taken from the East German children's television show Sandmännchen but with a Norwegian text. After the intro, a voice reads one of the rights stated in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child - before the outro plays.

I have actually seen this before, as the girlfriend's brother & sister lived in Bergen for years and their kids were raised there. They were watching this last summer when I came along.

I understood nothing, of course.

I have actually seen this before, as the girlfriend's brother & sister lived in Bergen for years and their kids were raised there. They were watching this last summer when I came along.

I understood nothing, of course.

I was in Bergen last summer, a really lovely spot

Does anyone know any threads where I can post my thoughts on songs? Something like the "Random Album Reviews" thread, but for random song discussions?

Yeah I think most people don't realise what it means
I'd say this is the case for most words which are used as expletives/punctuation: the usage usually bears little or no correlation to the actual meaning.
people don't realise Wally and berk are rhyming slang
Wally Hunt, I think, a blokes name, not sure if that's the right name but it's a name that rhymes with cunt
I was not aware, but I'm not convinced it's too important, since established usage seems to be what renders an insult soft or coarse (but can someone explain "berk" please, as I was not aware of that one).

Regarding "Wally Hunt", my Dad had suspicions that "Gordon Bennett!" might have similar origins - I think not since I found out who Gordon Bennett actually was but if by some chance he was right then I have no idea what the rhyme might have been supposed to be ... :confused:

Where I grew up we had this word "wazzock" which was used to mean (I'll do my best to capture the full sense of the meaning) "person exibiting a level of stupidity such that they can only be pitied". If anyone has any insight into the origins of that one I'd be very interested in what they can tell me.

Cheerful observation by the boyfriend just now: "By the time the barbers reopen, I'll be sporting the bastard offspring of a combover and a mullet!"
:lol:

Back