Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

@Black Wizard @LooseCannon

You're both right:

Weird From Middle English werde, wierde, wirde, wyrede, wurde, from Old English wyrd, wurd (“that which happens, fate, chance, fortune, destiny, Fate, the Fates, Providence, event, phenomenon, transaction, fact, deed”), from Proto-Germanic *wurdiz (“fate, destiny”), from Proto-Indo-European *wert- (“to turn, wind”). Cognate with Icelandic urður (“fate”). Related to Old English weorþan (“to become”). More at worth.

Weird was extinct by the 16th century in English. It survived in Scots, whence Shakespeare borrowed it in naming the Weird Sisters, reintroducing it to English. The senses "abnormal", "strange" etc. arose via reinterpretation of Weird Sisters and date from after this reintroduction.

All right, I'm curious. @Diesel 11, why'd you pick Diesel 11 as your screen name? You could have picked Gordon, or Toby, or just Diesel. What motivated you to 1-up a former villain?
The first forum I joined was one for Thomas & Friends, and Diesel 10 being my favorite character, I decided to make it 11 just to make it different. And then a friend and I created a whole history of Diesels 0-20, but that’s another story completely. :p

The first forum I joined was one for Thomas & Friends, and Diesel 10 being my favorite character, I decided to make it 11 just to make it different. And then a friend and I created a whole history of Diesels 0-20, but that’s another story completely. :p
I used to be something of a Thomas and Friends toy collector when I was younger. You don't find them in India, though.

Diesel is older than you and still watched Thomas the Tank Engine. He even made a list of his favourite episodes.
I was into it for the few years I grew up in the US. The show doesn't really come on TV in India, and obviously, there's no merchandise either.

I can think of something ... how about this?

A Christmas countdown children's television program where the main person is the shoemaker in an idyllic small town. He has a pet. This pet is an anthropomorphic shoe whose favourite food is parsley, and he lives in a compartment in the shoemaker's work bench.

In each episode, this shoe pet takes responsibility for showing a film. Each film is of the same format: The intro/outro is taken from the East German children's television show Sandmännchen but with a Norwegian text. After the intro, a voice reads one of the rights stated in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child - before the outro plays.

I really dont think Irish tv has anything to compare with that but we did have Zig and Zag, a pair of furry alien puppets. I remember my mother flippin her lid because Zig called Zag a 'twat.' My mother is English and to her twat is a very bad word. I was young, I had no idea what they were talking about but she turned the tv off there and then.

I really dont think Irish tv has anything to compare with that but we did have Zig and Zag, a pair of furry alien puppets. I remember my mother flippin her lid because Zig called Zag a 'twat.' My mother is English and to her twat is a very bad word. I was young, I had no idea what they were talking about but she turned the tv off there and then.
Is twat considered mild outside of England, then?

Well Im from Northern Ireland and its certainly not a mild word here but we get the southern Irish tv and radio and it certainly seems that there is a different attitude to certain swear words south of the boarder. Ive heard 'shite' and 'bollocks' used casually on southern radio. Im all for it!
Ive never heard twat used casually again though, maybe it was a one off. Maybe @srfc can enighten us.
An interesting revelation!
Well, shes Scouse, not quite the same accordin to Jamie Carragher

Is twat considered mild outside of England, then?

Yeah I think most people don't realise what it means and think it's similar to twit.

Edit: Americans think it rhymes with what

Similarly people don't realise Wally and berk are rhyming slang

Last edited:
Back