IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Blood Brothers, Man on the Edge, Look for the Truth, The Aftermath, Judgement of Heaven, The Edge of Darkness

You guys are so harsh to 'The X Factor'. It's a much stronger album than it's given credit for. Definite Bruce/Adrian Bias. :(

The first three songs work. They aren't perfect, but they work for what they are. The rest of the album, for better or worse, sounds like square pegs trying to be jammed into a round hole (sometimes literally, i.e. "in. THE MUD. and RAIN." part in The Aftermath). The songwriting is repetitive in tone and structure, the lyrics are often incredibly lame, and the production is clunky as all hell, it just isn't Iron Maiden at the top of their game and this has nothing to do with a lack of Bruce or Adrian. It is, as is usual, all Steve.

Anywho, voting for all TXF save the first 3 songs.

The last four tracks on TXF are actually all solid 7/10's, but all have little flaws that drag them down:

- Blood has a really cool bass intro, a good chorus, a great ending, but we get some these weird caveman stomp verses where the whole band plays the same thing.
- The Edge of Darkness is powerful but takes way too long to get moving. Melodies are good, Blaze sounds good, guitars sound good, it just spends too long plodding.
- 2 AM is Blaze's best vocal performance on the album and the guitars are beautiful, but the lyrics are so very lame.
- The Unbeliever is a cool prog epic, but again with the clunky caveman stomp vocals and that harmonic section is just strange.

These are all minor things that keep these songs from being elevated to greatness. Sure, they are small, but that's the whole Blaze era for me: songs are brought down by a single section or part that could have been omitted or fixed by an actual record producer or a bandmate with a better ear.

The first three songs work. They aren't perfect, but they work for what they are. The rest of the album, for better or worse, sounds like square pegs trying to be jammed into a round hole (sometimes literally, i.e. "in. THE MUD. and RAIN." part in The Aftermath). The songwriting is repetitive in tone and structure, the lyrics are often incredibly lame, and the production is clunky as all hell, it just isn't Iron Maiden at the top of their game and this has nothing to do with a lack of Bruce or Adrian. It is, as is usual, all Steve.

Pretty much, if you combined the 2 Blaze albums and toss in Virus and you have a really good album. As they stand, 2 albums with some high point and a lot of so-so at best songs ... You could say the same about FotD and No Prayer

Fortunes of War is tied with 2AM and The Aftermath. How is this happening, I thought Fortunes of War was one of the more popular songs on the album?

Pretty much, if you combined the 2 Blaze albums and toss in Virus and you have a really good album. As they stand, 2 albums with some high point and a lot of so-so at best songs ... You could say the same about FotD and No Prayer

Absolutely!

1. Futureal
2. Lord of the Flies
3. Man on the Edge
4. The Clansman
5. The Unbeliever
6. Lightning Strikes Twice
7. Como Estais Amigos
8. Sign of the Cross

Would be a pretty solid Maiden album!

Absolutely!

1. Futureal
2. Lord of the Flies
3. Man on the Edge
4. The Clansman
5. The Unbeliever
6. Lightning Strikes Twice
7. Como Estais Amigos
8. Sign of the Cross

Would be a pretty solid Maiden album!
I'd much rather have
1. Futureal
2. Lord of the Flies
3. Fortunes of War
4. Judgement of Heaven
5. The Clansman
6. The Educated Fool
7. The Edge of Darkness
8. Sign of the Cross
This would be an amazing album indeed.

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
  1. Futureal
  2. The Angel & The Gambler (Single Edit)
  3. The Clansman
  4. Lord Of The Flies
  5. Man On The Edge
  6. The Aftermath
  7. Como Estais Amigos
  8. Sign Of The Cross

My dream Blaze album would be:

The X Factor
1. Sign Of The Cross
2. Lord Of The Flies
3. Man On The Edge
4. Fortunes Of War
5. Look For The Truth
6. The Aftermath
7. Judgement Of Heaven
8. Blood On The World’s Hands
9. The Edge Of Darkness
10. 2 AM
11. The Unbeliever

Virtual XI
1. Futureal
2. The Angel And The Gambler
3. Lightning Strikes Twice
4. The Clansman
5. When Two Worlds Collide
6. The Educated Cool
7. Don’t Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
8. Como Estais Amigos

I love these albums and you guys are monsters.:mad:

I could get behind:

1. Futureal
2. Blood On The World’s Hands
3. 2 A.M.
4. Sign Of The Cross

That would net you an EP of good songs, at least. The only four songs from those two albums that I rated a 7/10 or higher.

Back