Official 2020 Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly. But I think it was POTO, since Running Free was on the original STOAST setlist. Also POTO and Hallowed are similar length-wise.

But wasn't Phantom in the setlist in that video with Dave holding the setlist? Does that video exist anymore?

Here is the video. If you pause the video at the right moment you see that Phanom and Hallowed both were in the setlist and Run to the Hills the last song.

The setlist was probably

Moonchild
Can I Play With Madness
The Prisoner
2 Minutes to Midnight
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
The Trooper
The Number of the Beast
Phantom of the Opera
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Wasted Years
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
The Clairvoyant
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden

Aces High
The Evil That Men Do
Run to the Hills

Actually, RTTH was intended to close the set, but got moved into the Hallowed spot and Running Free was added. Don't know if Phantom was there tho...

Here is the video. If you pause the video at the right moment you see that Phanom and Hallowed both were in the setlist and Run to the Hills the last song.

The setlist was probably

Moonchild
Can I Play With Madness
The Prisoner
2 Minutes to Midnight
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
The Trooper
The Number of the Beast
Phantom of the Opera
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Wasted Years
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
The Clairvoyant
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden

Aces High
The Evil That Men Do
Run to the Hills

I'd say there was Infinite Dreams instead of ATSS. It actualy made it to production rehearsals.

Wish they would do a tour like priest is promising for there 50th to dive deep into there catalog playing rare and never preformed songs , imagine what maiden could come up with. Dropping. 666, trooper, fotd, hills, from the set and opening it right up.

I agree that they have to play more rare songs, but then again it's hard to drop the classics in a 15-16 songs setlist. The only chance is if they do like Priest - completely change the whole setlist and play only 3 classics. The probably done that because it was their 3rd NA leg during that tour./

But you cannot drop the classics... TNOTB, Trooper, FOTD or the eternal Iron Maiden from the set. FOTD was not played only once, Trooper twice, TNOTB once, HBTN twice (we all know why) and nowadays they are not playing RTTH on album tours.
We all want that, because Maiden have so many amazing songs that are not played or played just a couple of times (on 1 or 2 tours), but everyone wants to hear the classics and that will never change.

EDIT: This can be done for one leg of a tour or for a special tour for rare and never performed songs.
Drop The (overrated) Clansman. There are loads of Maiden war songs that are miles better (Paschendale, Brighter than a Thousand Suns, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, The Longest Day...).

Clansman overrated? Not a chance.

Last edited:
I'd be quite happy for 'The Number of the Beast', 'Fear of the Dark' and 'Iron Maiden' to be dropped.

Yeah, because they play them forever and you always see them live when you go to a Maiden concert. But Priest proven that it will not hurt if they drop them for one special tour or in Priest case - for one leg of a tour.

But do not forget that when a fan goes to see Maiden for the first time he wants to see all the classics. And even the fans that goes to every tour since the 80's (for example) also wants to see the classics. Remember the banner ''Play classics''.

I beg to differ.

IRYO, but I think almost every Maiden fan likes that song. And I think the majority think it's the only good song (along with Futureal) from the VXI album. - btw, I don't think so... I like the whole album.

IRYO, but I think almost every Maiden fan likes that song. And I think the majority think it's the only good song (along with Futureal) from the VXI album. - btw, I don't think so... I like the whole album.

I am not saying it is bad, I am just saying that they have loads of much better songs. As I posted yesterday, I thought it was a really good song back in 1998, but my opinion was probably conditioned by the other crap Maiden were releasing at the time. :D Over the years I have found it less and less interesting, although it works pretty well live (just like Sanctuary, another not-that-good song).

@Kalata is @Night Prowler's alt account confirmed.

But do not forget that when a fan goes to see Maiden for the first time he wants to see all the classics.
Oh yes, I know this all too well and have first hand experience of it. In 2006 when they played 'A Matter Of Live and Death' (an album I wasn't too keen on at the time) I was left a bit confused and underwhelmed that they played the full album and missed out 'Run to the Hills'. It was my first time seeing Maiden, and at the time I had no idea if I'd ever get the chance to see them again (he says 18 times later), so I wanted to see the big classics too. I have Play Classics! leanings myself but would prefer a setlist to be a good mix of more recent songs and classics.
I am not saying it is bad, I am just saying that they have loads of much better songs. As I posted yesterday, I thought it was a really good song back in 1998, but my opinion was probably conditioned by the other crap Maiden were releasing at the time. :D Over the years I have found it less and less interesting, although it works pretty well live (just like Sanctuary, another not-that-good song).
'The Clansman' does stand out amongst the jumble that is 'Virtual XI' and it does work very well live. However, I don't have much affection for it since there are far better "epics" in Iron Maiden's discography and I also find it a slightly cheesey tribute to an awful film and aspects of Scottish nationalism. Not that I'm saying the subjugation of the Scots by King Edward was a good thing.

'The Clansman' does stand out amongst the jumble that is 'Virtual XI' and it does work very well live. However, I don't have much affection for it since there are far better "epics" in Iron Maiden's discography and I also find it a slightly cheesey tribute to an awful film and aspects of Scottish nationalism. Not that I'm saying the subjugation of the Scots by King Edward was a good thing.

Agreed. Having Patrick McGoohan (of The Prisoner fame) as Kind Edward was a very good thing though.

c74b228866cbc75b72153af29dd58d8e.jpg

Oh yes, I know this all too well and have first hand experience of it. In 2006 when they played 'A Matter Of Live and Death' (an album I wasn't too keen on at the time) I was left a bit confused and underwhelmed that they played the full album and missed out 'Run to the Hills'. It was my first time seeing Maiden, and at the time I had no idea if I'd ever get the chance to see them again (he says 18 times later), so I wanted to see the big classics too. I have Play Classics! leanings myself but would prefer a setlist to be a good mix of more recent songs and classics.

My first shows were on the A Matter of Life and Death tour as well. I knew they were playing the full album, and I was happy. I was expecting I'd see them again, and Bruce announced Somewhere Back in Time on that tour, so I knew there'd be a Play Classics! tour ahead. But even if there hadn't been, I was still fine with it. I loved the album, and I would gladly take anything Maiden offered me at the time. And still would. Maiden don't owe me anything, and I don't see why I should have any say in their setlist or show just because I chose to see them 20 times.

My first shows were on the A Matter of Life and Death tour as well. I knew they were playing the full album, and I was happy. I was expecting I'd see them again, and Bruce announced Somewhere Back in Time on that tour, so I knew there'd be a Play Classics! tour ahead. But even if there hadn't been, I was still fine with it. I loved the album, and I would gladly take anything Maiden offered me at the time. And still would. Maiden don't owe me anything, and I don't see why I should have any say in their setlist or show just because I chose to see them 20 times.

Hear! Hear!

Playing the whole album live was a brave and bold move and the gigs were fantastic. In fact, the AMOLAD gigs are amongst the best of the band I have seen (and I have seen them many times on every tour since 1996).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back