LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the last tour Maiden actively rotated the setlist?
2010 First Leg of the TFF Tour, but they gave up alternating between Dance of Death and Paschendale about 10 shows in.

The also moved the order around on the 2011 leg for the first few gigs.

I agree, rotating 2-3 songs in one or two spots (like Rush did on their last couple of tours) would be a no brainer.

Just a response to that nicko setlist video.

do you think that they will release one of these a day until the night of the premiere show (they will release the last video after the first show), and during the last 2 or 3 songs (Encore songs) he goes through on the video, one is Alexander the Great? or some other song like CSIT or SIASL?

i dont really see the point of them doing a video setlist thing like this if there wasnt some alterior motive like that?
or steve could just be looking for clickbait.

Just a response to that nicko setlist video.

do you think that they will release one of these a day until the night of the premiere show (they will release the last video after the first show), and during the last 2 or 3 songs (Encore songs) he goes through on the video, one is Alexander the Great? or some other song like CSIT or SIASL?

i dont really see the point of them doing a video setlist thing like this if there wasnt some alterior motive like that?
or steve could just be looking for clickbait.

IMO, no.

I think there is more chance that they play a new song this year than any of those. Also the written setlist matches LOTB 2018 title length-wise.

ATG - If it was played, it would be on the whole tour (especially because they played Greece last year)
CSIT - Too demanding for Nicko (this song is even harder than WED) and Bruce.
SIASL - Probably not, but it has a decent chance in the future tours, since Nicko wants to play it again along with 22AA and Nicko has been getting his wishes lately (in particular with TOAC and WED).

If they upload a new video part of Nicko's setlist every day since now, they will finish exactly on the day when the tour starts. So in short, if there is a part 2 tomorrow, the set will stay the same. I'm 98% sure.

Last edited:
IMO, no.

I think there is more chance that they play a new song this year than any of those. Also the written setlist matches LOTB 2018 title length-wise.

If they upload a new video part of Nicko's setlist every day since now, they will finish exactly on the day when the tour starts. So in short, if there is a part 2 tomorrow, the set will stay the same. I'm 98% sure.

thats fair, i meant in terms of them changing anything in the setlist with the timing of these video releases. seems like they would upload the last video after the first show with either a new song (new album song) in the encore, or an incredibly deep cut song that no one expected.

that was the point i was trying to make. the timing of these releases, and just the bizarness if doing this if the setlist remains the exact same, is a little puzzling.

thats fair, i meant in terms of them changing anything in the setlist with the timing of these video releases. seems like they would upload the last video after the first show with either a new song (new album song) in the encore, or an incredibly deep cut song that no one expected.

that was the point i was trying to make. the timing of these releases, and just the bizarness if doing this if the setlist remains the exact same, is a little puzzling.

If there is anything shocking, it would probably be a new single replacing TETMD in the encore. But I can't see anything else happening. Especially since it seems, that this video was filmed before rehearsals started. But of those 3 you wrote, only SIASL has any chance to be played, however, probably on one of the next tours. ATG would be present on a whole tour, so it's out. CSIT, well, only if they want to kill Nicko's right foot and Bruce's larynx.

If there is anything shocking, it would probably be a new single replacing TETMD in the encore. But I can't see anything else happening. Especially since it seems, that this video was filmed before rehearsals started. But of those 3 you wrote, only SIASL has any chance to be played, however, probably on one of the next tours.

i agree. the evil that men do doesnt really fit in my opinion in the current setlist.

I was just using those 3 songs as examples of something that no one would expect thats all.

maiden have lots of war related songs, they could also replace 2MTM (with paschen-fucking-dale or BTATS) or something. they are spoiled with war songs.

new single i would be ok with, always good with new material

Nicko spent 3+ minutes of the 6 minute video on set-up. he covered 2 songs in just over 2 minutes. I would anticipate maybe a 5-part series at most, with 3-5 songs revealed per clip.

Still doesn't answer why the hell they are doing this other than for them (via Nicko) to say this is how it is and if you don't like it, sod off.

Still doesn't answer why the hell they are doing this other than for them (via Nicko) to say this is how it is and if you don't like it, sod off.

This. Unless Nicko is indeed telling everyone to fuck off and we will play what we want. than i really dont see any point to these

I don't not understand why some of you want to change something in setlist. I get that - we all have songs that we would kill for a chance of them being played live. But there are thousands of people that never seen maiden live and never heard classics. When I was on the first leg of the tour I was bored to death by the idea of NOTB or TETMD being played alive when there are so many other songs that I would like to hear.

But I was with my girlfriend and she never heard and seen this songs live. And honestly this was the best part of the show - she with giant eyes and going *idonfukingbelievethisidontfuckingbelievethis* during whole songs. It was like mine first Maiden show. And yes, she probably shit herself during aces high.

My take on this is that - yeah, there are songs that I want to hear again on concert. But it's also awesome to be a part of someone memory from first in their live Maiden show. So even when you are bored to death or unhappy with some songs try at least to make them a great experience for the newcommers.

A small study of the topic and tour speculations in general. No offence to anyone, it's not like I haven't had anything to do with several themes mentioned below. :D

The Setlist Circle:

Phase 1
(starts right after the tour announcement, or even before if the rumours are strong enough, and goes on for several months)
*Setlist speculation varies from wildest dreams to rather realistic visions, based on current Maiden setlist structure trends.
*Tour announcement, artwork and whatnot may give certain clues that form the foundation for the speculated set, Flight of Icarus (confirmed) speculation 2017-18 being one very notable example of that.
*Recurring discussion considering the possibility of Alexander the Great being played, usual conclusions being:
- They will never play it live
- The odds aren't that promising, but there's a small chance that this time it might actually get played...
- Not this time, but possibly on the last tour.
- ALL THE HINTS POINT TOWARDS IT (meaning, there's Edward The Great in the early version of Nicko's kit or something similarly far-fetched and out of place, or just general trolling by Maiden-related social media accounts)
*Standard speculation around songs that might get played but are replaced after one or two shows for WRATHCHILD.

Phase 2
*Official sources (Steve & Bruce hint something in random interviews or Nicko slips out setlist spoilers "accidentally") confirm a couple of songs, so the speculated sets gain some consistency and shared structure
*The fiercest ATG talk may have calmed down, but is brought to play regularly, along with standard Wrathchild joke
*The roles for speculating fans are determined and can be divided - very roughly - into three groups:
- "STOP DREAMING": No matter what the official sources say, you shouldn't be too hopeful! Promised surprises mean Wasted Years or Heaven Can Wait at the most
- "ATG!!!!! CONFIRMED": Over-reacting to "hints" and even most doubtful rumors, often beefed up by poor translation or whatnot, to feed up the belief of something miraculous happening this time, because... well, "all the signs point towards it" or something like that. Not completely blind, but very optimistic belief for songs like Infinite Dreams, ATG, SIASL, Still Life etc. to be featured in the set.
- Optimistc realist: Does not expect every rumoured/speculated deep cut to be played, but is optimistic enough to believe that as it has been with Maiden-trend, at least one or two highly anticipated gems will get played and some general "mixing things up" might be going on, as it has been with a couple of previous tours as well.

Phase 3
* The first gig of the tour draws near and everyone is anxiously waiting to see if their speculations are even near to what will eventually be played
*After the first gig or two, the Wrathchild (if the song is not played in the original set) joke takes another round or two
*Short speculation of songs that won't last the whole tour or are dropped for big festivals (actual song count: 0)

Phase 4
*The initial leg of the tour is over and the speculation for songs that will be dropped/replaced for the next leg starts taking rounds
*ATG speculation takes another round, this time almost entirely joke-based, but several serious thoughts about the song having a chance to be played in the future occur here and there
*Since the main set is more or less confirmed to remain as it was, the off-topic speculation, memes, jokes and almost paranoiac fears for the most interesting songs to be dropped for whatever reasons (band messing it up once or twice, poor crowd reaction etc.) take countless rounds
* "I wouldn't be surprised if they..." (do something that definitely should surprise you if it happened, even if not TOO much)
*Long pauses in discussion may occur
*As the next leg draws closer, the discussion quickens up again, with Wrathchild joke(s) and song-dropping/replacement fears and speculations becoming very topical again; usually the suggested replacements don't even seem like a fit to the whatever speculated set is built around, or are a tad bit too random, meaning that there's no modern classic/cult/gem/fan- or band-favourite status or it has been just unrealistically too long since it was last played live to actually seem like something they'd rehearse between the legs, unless it's relatively simple song. Example: ATSS->NPFTD, The Clansman->The Longest Day or FTGGOG->The Legacy
*Sometimes the speculation of dropping/replacing songs ends up being correct, but that is usually already confirmed or strongly and clearly hinted by the official sources anyway and usually has something to do with band revisiting certain places they've already played during the previous leg.

Last edited:
Don't know how about you guys, but i feel somewhat angry/resentful about band not rotating setlist AT ALL. Take a note from Metallica. And i don't buy "stage set production nightmare" explanation.

The upcoming tour is the "LOTB North American Leg" etc.. so why would they change the setlist? The songs have been chosen to reflect certain "themes" that are based on the game so to suddenly throw in a "deep cut" that a lot on here seem to want would totally throw the whole concept of the tour out of kilter so why would they?

Also I am getting sick of this constant "I wish they were like Metallica and rotated the set list blah blah blah..." Did you see them at Twickenham a few weeks back? As good as they were (despite the woeful sound) they played "No Leaf Clover" & "Lords Of Summer" songs that probably only hard core(?) Metallica Fans are really familiar with.

It killed the momentum of the show completely. You could see people exiting to the Bar/Toilets etc or flicking through their phones and so on. Oh and they still played Sandman/One/Nothing/Bells/Puppets etc as they always do.

Its the way Maiden roll and always have done and after forty odd years of touring are hardly likely to change so I can't believe people are still banging on about it?

Did you see them at Twickenham a few weeks back? As good as they were (despite the woeful sound) they played "No Leaf Clover" & "Lords Of Summer" songs that probably only hard core(?) Metallica Fans are really familiar with.

You mean like For the Greater Good of God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back