Buckethead

@CriedWhenBrucieLeft I wonder if Buckethead ever used a sound such as (or as similar as possible as) this stuff:
click here. On which pike(s) did he use such dreamy / epic sound (a reverb on setting "epic")?
I'm not sure if he really uses a great deal of reverb while playing clean; delay, yes, lots. Quite odd, here, that Richie even uses that in a band setting; feels like it would get a little lost on stage. Also, reverb is kinda odd if you're playing in a venue which already has natural acoustics. Still, Buckethead would sound a lot better sometimes if he better used a few normal rock guitar settings here & there. His production/tone can be very flat sounding on the Pikes generally. Which is a pity.

But to answer your question: none that I can think of off-hand...

A wee bit (but not as harsh) on Arcade of Deserted?

Kinda hard to tell sometimes because of the keyboard/synth wash that Buckethead sometimes has running in the backround; which is cool, but difficult to hear how harsh any reverb/chorus setting really is.

Last edited:
Shawn Lane is incredible. The only reason he isn't more recognized is he died before he could do anything really significant.

He was pretty much on another level to anyone you could name at 16. I was watching bootlegs of him again the other day; honestly, have never seen anyone who could/can play like he could. MAB is probably the only guy out there who does something so ridiculous (i.e. playing left & right handed) that you couldn't imagine Lane being able to match him. Gilbert said he was terrifying & that says it all. His alternate picking is almost imperceptible; you literally don't notice that he's using pick & fingers with his right-hand all the time. So fluid, with tiny efficient movement. Everyone else's alternate picking (if they even use that technique), Buckethead included, looks totally rigid & deliberate in comparison. And everything he played seemed improvised! Notes just flowed out of the guy...

Could watch this shit all day long. Awesome.

Last edited:

YouTube comment: and at around 9:45, that isn't shawn's hand on the fretboard.
It's a fat spider who smoked an entire 8-ball of crack, and can't find his way off the neck. :lol:

Yeh, Lane just improvising over some rock/blues snooze number is literally jawdropping. Buckethead has never had anything like that musical interaction; aside from with Brain, but that didn't always equate to great music. He did an album with Hellborg; that was great, but apparently Bucket & Hellborg didn't get on very well. Well, so the internet says; no idea if that's true.

438606.jpg

Pike 21/365

Don't have all that much to say about this one. It's a good Pike for sure. Nice balance between heavier moments and more wacky ones. The title track is probably the best song here but all of them brought something to the table. Not a big stand-out in his discography, but it's pretty good all the same.

Rating: 84%

438606.jpg

Pike 21/365

Don't have all that much to say about this one. It's a good Pike for sure. Nice balance between heavier moments and more wacky ones. The title track is probably the best song here but all of them brought something to the table. Not a big stand-out in his discography, but it's pretty good all the same.

Rating: 84%
He's remixed this and Pike #22. Both are free downloads!
@Mosh too if you don't have these DLs? :ok:

Top 50 Pikes
No Order
[Pike #1] It's Alive [2011]
[Pike #9] March of the Slunks [2012]
[Pike #10] The Silent Picture Book [2012]
[Pike #11] Forgotten Library [2013]
[Pike #12] Propellar [2013]
[Pike #21] Spiral Trackway [2013]
[Pike #23] Telescape [2013]
[Pike #35] Thank you Ohlinger's [2013]
[Pike #36] The Pit [2013]
[Pike #37] Hollowed Out [2013]
[Pike #38] It Smells Like Frogs [2013]
[Pike #39] Twisterlend [2013]
[Pike #40] Coat of Charms [2013]
[Pike #42] Backwards Chimney [2014]
[Pike #64] Aquarium [2014]
[Pike #65] Hold Me Forever [2014]
[Pike #66] Leave the Light On [2014]
[Pike #68] Assignment 033-03 [2014]
[Pike #72] Closed Attractions [2014]
[Pike #73] Final Bend of the Labyrinth [2014]
[Pike #77] Bumbyride Dreamlands [2014]
[Pike #89] The Time Travelers Dream [2014]
[Pike #97] Passageways [2014]
[Pike #101] In The Hollow Hills [2014]
[Pike #109] The Left Panel [2015]
[Pike #116] Infinity of the Spheres [2015]
[Pike #119] Solar Sailcraft [2015]
[Pike #122] The Other Side of the Dark [2015]
[Pike #123] Scroll of Vegetable [2015]
[Pike #128] Tucked Into Dreams [2015]
[Pike #130] Down in the Bayou Part Two [2015]
[Pike #154] The Cellar Yawns [2015]
[Pike #161] Bats in the Lite Brite [2015]
[Pike #165] Orange Tree [2015]
[Pike #208] The Wishing Brook [2015]
[Pike #216] Wheels of Ferris [2015]
[Pike #217] Pike Doors [2015]
[Pike #218] Old Toys [2015]
[Pike #224] Buildor [2016]
[Pike #225] Florrmat [2016]
[Pike #231] Drift [2016]
[Pike #235] Oneiric Pool [2016]
[Pike #237] The Five Blocks [2016]
[Pike #240] Chart [2016]
[Pike #248] Adrift in Sleepwakefulness [2017]
[Pike #264] Poseidon [2017]
[Pike #266] Far [2017]
[Pike #268] Sonar Rainbow [2017]
[Pike #270] A3 [2017]
[Pike #272] Coniunctio [2017]
List compiled circa 2019

COOL!

And thanks Cried. Looking forward to go through this. I think I may not have heard around 15-20 of the post Solar Sailcraft Pikes in this list.
In the 2015-2018 years I heard all first 119 pikes in order, wrote down which I own, which are strong wishlist and which are minor wishlist.
I also heard (and bought some of) several later Pikes, but I want to keep going from 120. Curious to see what I'll think of the remaining Pikes and in particular your listed ones.

EDIT: nothing from 2018-2021. But there are only 14 released in this era so that could explain.

Last edited:
So last night I had a dream that Cried returned to the forum and starting posting some miscellaneous Buckethead shit, including like seven albums made post-pandemic.

So today I went checking Wikipedia to see if any Bucket info on his whereabouts is known because I straight-up thought he’r dropped off the face of the earth. No, instead he’s released another hundred albums over the past three years, what the fuck.

@CriedWhenBrucieLeft @Mosh have you guys been keeping up with his output? And if so what are your thoughts? (Cried can reply in a series of memes if he wants to.)

Listening to “King James” again in the GMSC reminded me how good Bucket is in the first place, and I’d like to start spinning his albums again, probably between the GMSC updates. I drive half an hour to and from work, so I could feasibly listen to two Pikes on the drive and start stabbing my way through his discography again. 400+ albums in his solo career alone is more daunting than the ~300 when I started five years ago though. :p

Back