Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes please, I really want to know which kit Nicko is using to record... his TBOS kit is in Florida, so I'm betting it's either LOTB or maybe he brought his old Somewhere In Time kit out of retirement!
A real sleuth would go to Drum One to see if the SiT kit is still there.

Also I don't see why Nicko couldn't just get a new kit from Sonor for recording. He probably won't have the two smallest toms on it anyway so that should make it even easier since everything but the 6" tom are bog standard SQ2 drums.

A real sleuth would go to Drum One to see if the SiT kit is still there.

Also I don't see why Nicko couldn't just get a new kit from Sonor for recording. He probably won't have the two smallest toms on it anyway so that should make it even easier since everything but the 6" tom are bog standard SQ2 drums.
Maybe, but I'd be surprised if they go that route. He's never gotten a new kit for recording in the past; TBOS was recorded with the TFF kit, TFF was recorded with the SBIT kit, AMOLAD was recorded with the Early Days kit, DOD was recorded with the BNW kit (and the VXI snare)

I'd say he is recording with either LOTB kit or maybe even the TFF kit, which he said in the past, is one of the best sounding kits he's ever owned.

I'd say it's probably LOTB kit. The toms on that thing sound majestic. They probably shipped most of the stuff used on LOTB tour to the studio and when they finish, they will pack it into a sea container and ship it to Florida for rehearsals.

I'd say he is recording with either LOTB kit or maybe even the TFF kit, which he said in the past, is one of the best sounding kits he's ever owned.

I'd say it's probably LOTB kit. The toms on that thing sound majestic. They probably shipped most of the stuff used on LOTB tour to the studio and when they finish, they will pack it into a sea container and ship it to Florida for rehearsals.
No way he's recording with the TFF kit - it's a Premier. He's back with Sonor now, that would be a huge slap in the face to them.

No way he's recording with the TFF kit - it's a Premier. He's back with Sonor now, that would be a huge slap in the face to them.
Maybe that's what all of this secrecy is about...

:ninja:

But, real talk, it has to be the LOTB kit. TBOS kit is in Florida and I doubt he would use an old one to record, especially since most of them (except SIT one) have been stored in IM warehouse for ages. And that place has been hit with a flood between 2003 and 2010 (ruining Adrian's original Ibanez Destroyer II and possibly other things).

P.S. It wouldn't be the first time a huge endorser would use completely different gear in the studio. I just recently saw that mr. Ibanez Jem himself, Steve Vai, mainly used non-Ibanez guitars on the last record (PRS's and Strats).

Last edited:

But, real talk, it has to be the LOTB kit. TBOS kit is in Florida and I doubt he would use an old one to record, especially since most of them (except SIT one) have been stored in IM warehouse for ages. And that place has been hit with a flood between 2003 and 2010 (ruining Adrian's original Ibanez Destroyer II and possibly other things).

P.S. It wouldn't be the first time a huge endorser would use completely different gear in the studio. I just recently saw that mr. Ibanez Jem himself, Steve Vai, mainly used non-Ibanez guitars on the last record (PRS's and Strats).
That's the first I've heard of the flood, but Nicko played the Somewhere In Time kit a bunch at the opening of his drum shop in Manchester and it looked/sounded fine. I believe it was stored at the Marshall amps HQ for the past couple decades as part of their museum.

That's the first I've heard of the flood, but Nicko played the Somewhere In Time kit a bunch at the opening of his drum shop in Manchester and it looked/sounded fine. I believe it was stored at the Marshall amps HQ for the past couple decades as part of their museum.

AFAIK, the flood at IM warehouse was mentioned only once in an interview with H and Davey by Eddie Trunk before TFF tour in 2010. A caller asked about the Destroyer and H told the story about the flood. He said something among the lines that he would love to play the Destroyer on the stage again, but it's unplayable, since it was damaged in a flood in the warehouse and I doubt it was the only thing.

As far as SIT kit goes, I think Nicko gave it to Jim Marshall and it was exhibited at Marshall headquarters. But when Jim passed away, it was dismantled and thrown into Marshall storage. When Nicko leaarned that, he was pissed and demanded it back.

I'd imagine he'll be using the LOTB kit. If all the bands live gear gets shipped into the studio and setup by the techs then it makes sense for him to be using that kit.

If he’s using the LOTB kit, he’s sure not using the snare... https://m.facebook.com/nickosdrumon...036408/?type=3&source=57&refid=52&__tn__=EH-R

I don't know if it was the live mix or the his drum kit, or a mix of both, but the drum sound was just sublime last year. I hope he uses the LOTB kit.

I don't know if it was the live mix or the his drum kit, or a mix of both, but the drum sound was just sublime last year. I hope he uses the LOTB kit.

I'd say it was the combination of the kit and the amazing wizardry of Pooch. Probably the best tom sound I've ever heard live. Just majestic.

I'd say it was the combination of the kit and the amazing wizardry of Pooch. Probably the best tom sound I've ever heard live. Just majestic.
A lot of it was Pooch- TBOS kit has the exact same shell design and material as LOTB, and although The TBOS tour drum sound was decent, there’s been a marked improvement this time ‘round.

I really hope Pooch sticks around, maybe we’ll get decent live stream audio from RIR this time

It is to be awarded Honorary Citizen of Sarajevo.
Ah yes, that. I remember when that award was announced. Didn't realize there'd be a ceremony too but this is more interesting than his book tour. This shouldn't impact recording as there are plenty of things to be done without a singer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back