USA Politics

Once airports start to shut down due to a lack of TSA agents, there is going to be a ton of pressure on Trump to cave.
Well almost immediately after reports of airport delays came in, Trump caved. It's unclear how much the airport stuff actually played into this though since there were reports of GOP frustration the previous day. It was probably a bit of both. I'm guessing McConnell privately pushed Trump to do this.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Ann Coulter is already ripping him on Twitter, but I have a hard time seeing McConnell allowing another shutdown in three weeks. I think Trump has no choice but to declare a national emergency. Congressional Republicans really don't want that, since it almost guarantees the next Democrat president will use the same tactic to circumvent Congress and enact sweeping healthcare and climate change policy.

since it almost guarantees the next Democrat president will use the same tactic to circumvent Congress and enact sweeping healthcare and climate change policy.
Both of which are arguably more of an emergency than illegal border crossings which are are at their lowest for some time.

Anyway, all hail His Excellency Trump. He made such a great deal. He couldn't just stand idly by as 800,00 federal employees went without their wages. He totally understands them and has the most respect for them. The obstructionist dems don't though. Nancy thinks it's all about her and doesn't care about our loyal federal employees who protect our country and help to make America great again!

So hopefully the government is reopen for long enough to allow my boss to get hold of some software from one of the government agencies that would be great.

I recommend this vid because it’s pretty entertaining but also really shows why Trump’s re-election hinges on the wall. It gives decent insight into the mind of a lot of Trump voters too, especially the way she justifies Trump’s character.

Fair play to Ann Coulter for going on a chat show which is obviously hostile to her and taking the jibes from the host in good humour while still putting her points across. Bill Maher was also quite fair to her despite disagreeing with everything she said.

That stuff about Russia not being the Soviet Union anymore was dumb. Obviously she's right to the extent that the name is different and the country is smaller but I suspect that much of the system is the same. Putin was also an ex-KGB agent and is looking to restore Russia to its previous standing in the world.

Fair play to Ann Coulter for going on a chat show which is obviously hostile to her and taking the jibes from the host in good humour while still putting her points across. Bill Maher was also quite fair to her despite disagreeing with everything she said.

Ann Coulter and Bill Maher are frenemies so it's not like the regular guest/host clash.

Obviously she's right to the extent that the name is different and the country is smaller but I suspect that much of the system is the same. Putin was also an ex-KGB agent and is looking to restore Russia to its previous standing in the world.

There's definitely a major difference. They don't have communism anymore. There's no fear of a system hostile to capitalism gaining influence. It's merely a power struggle without a conflict of systems now, that's a big difference.

Ann Coulter is nuts but I think she is right to describe herself as a "normal" part of the base. She's also right that the best way to beat Trump is to hammer him on failure to keep his promises. He won over traditional conservatives and independents in part because there was an impression that this might be a president who actually achieves what he promises to do. I have a hard time seeing him winning back states that he flipped which went back to Dems last year. Also, there's a lot of talk about an establishment Republican to the left of Trump primarying him, but this sort of thing opens up the possibility of a Trumpier candidate coming in and stealing the base.

On another note, the appeal to populism in her argument for a border wall is pretty interesting. Maybe it's just Coulter playing to Maher's audience, but this isn't the first time I've seen conservative pundits go that route. I always thought populism was a passing phase in 2016, but maybe there's more to that. Check out this article about Tucker Carlson, lots of Bernie Sanders-esque ideas but with a conservative twist.

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/10/18171912/tucker-carlson-fox-news-populism-conservatism-trump-gop

Can't beat fun in Virginia

Governor has a pic posted of him in blackface from college, he apologizes, then says it was not him, he thought it was a different blackface pic of him
The Lt. Governor accused of sexual assault
The Attorney General (next in line) ... also blackface, he admitted it before anything came out

All 3 under pressure to resign

It's worth noting that the next person in line for the governorship is only in line because a name was drawn out of a fishbowl.

Can't beat fun in Virginia
As a Virginian, I can tell you that that’s the truth. It’s really fun here now. Republicans are defending a governor they used to hate because it was 35 years ago, people are thankful they didn’t enter politics... my dad is the mayor of our town and I swear to god, it’s far removed from the governor’s office and I don’t get how the Karens keep thinking that somehow it’s impacting their reputation. You’re putting that mindset on and that’s the issue. Fucking mess.

He has a ton of investigations on his ass and he can't delay them for another year.

Back