USA Politics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Genghis Khan, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Zare

Zare sorry Zed

Papito, son and the holy ghost...the three clearly under conflict of interest.

Magnus likes this.
  2. Onhell

Onhell Infinite Dreamer

LC might know more about this, but in my limited experience working in the U.S. Companies have work policies to ensure people from different backgrounds can coexist. That means a white supremacist sharing work space with a Black Panther member. If either one says/does something that ''offends'' the other they can be sacked, free speech or not.

As we've seen, free speech isn't supported by a lot of companies for fear of backlash and, of course, profits. Remember the white rally, "¨(They) will not replace us?" Some of those people were outed through social media and they were fired from their jobs.

3. Zare

Zare sorry Zed

Free speech, in a company? There's no such thing. Actually your supervisor can tell you to stfu as in do not open your mouth unless completely necessary and can fire you if you continue to waste company's time on non-related things such as politics of any kind.

Diesel 11 and Onhell like this.
  4. Onhell

Onhell Infinite Dreamer

Yup, Some will even fire you for something someone overheard during your BREAK.

5. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Cereal Litigator

The US sounds like a silly place. I'm so glad that my country doesn't have any nonsense taking place. :S

6. Zare

Zare sorry Zed

Thing is there are shitty and there are good workplaces anywhere in the world.

Diesel 11 likes this.
  7. Jer

Jer CriedWhenJanickStayed

Free speech means that you generally cannot be criminally punished or silenced by law enforcement for peacefully expressing your opinion, even if it’s critical of people in power. It does not protect you from the social repercussions of your speech.

Zare, Wogmidget and Diesel 11 like this.
  8. Zare

Zare sorry Zed

Free speech is exclusively inside the formal relationship of the individual and the law, not between individuals themselves. A citizen is eternally bound to the state, there needs to be a fixed protocol. Inside any human relationships, personal or corporate, there's no such thing - I cannot tell you to go fuck yourself if I expect us to remain friends, can I?

9. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Free speech means you can say whatever you want.
    Freedom of association means that if you say whatever you want and I think it's dumb, I don't have to spend time with you. That includes keeping you employed.

That's why when Steve King (R-IO) complains that his "freedom of speech" is being stifled because people are criticizing him, he is being an idiot (on top of being a Neo-Nazi). He has the freedom to say he believes in white supremacism all he wants in the USA. He also has the freedom for all the repercussions therein.

Diesel 11 likes this.
  10. Onhell

Onhell Infinite Dreamer

I've told and I've been told by my closest friends to go fuck myself/themselves. One of the tennents of true friendship.

Magnus and Jer like this.
  11. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

I keep seeing news and stories about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez popping up, I think the conservative pundits made her into a star by calling her a dumb commie non-stop and giving her exposure.

Onhell likes this.
  12. Jer

Jer CriedWhenJanickStayed

Yep. She’s the boogeywoman of the right wing, both metaphorically and literally.

13. Night Prowler

Night Prowler CriedWhenBazzaSued Staff Member

Steve's sister Kamala Harris is running for POTUS. I think every Maiden fan who doesn't vote for her should be banned.

Magnus and Jer like this.
  14. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

There’s a YouTuber called hbomberguy who started streaming Donkey Kong to raise money for a trans charity and it just blew up. AOC herself even stopped in. Quite fantastic stuff.

15. Zare

Zare sorry Zed

Map of sunlight in Europe, Iberian peninsula cutout

[​IMG]

Does it remind you of something?

16. Diesel 11

One side is Trump, the other is a patriot. Wow!

Jer likes this.
  17. Diesel 11

18. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Aggressive homophobes turning out to be closeted homosexuals is pretty common.

frus and Brigantium like this.
  19. Diesel 11

Yep. Not surprising, too, because a suppression of that part of their life makes them more pissed when others come out.

20. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

Diesel 11 likes this.