USA Politics

What about Trump's base plus the Republican base (i.e. those who would vote for the Republican candidate even if it happened to be a black, Muslim woman). The latter are probably already happy with what they have got from Trump - i.e. conservative judge appointments for the Supreme Court.

it really comes down to who runs against him ... when there is a legitimate choice between Trump and a person versus Trump versus a perceived ideal candidate

It won't actually be built no matter what happens. It will spend years working its way through the courts before being canceled by the next Democratic president, whether it is built through executive action or approved by congress. Democrats know this, Republicans know this, even Trump knows this.
I've always thought this too. Even if the Republicans still dominated Congress and rolled over to Trump's demands then there would be legal challenges in US courts and international courts from civil rights and environmental groups. Mexico would kick up a fuss at the UN and I wonder if it might even be discussed at the Security Council. The whole debacle would be a colossal waste of time and a major embarrassment for the US (like Brexit is for the UK!) Do Trump's fan base know this?
He is not popular here and while he has major media voices firmly on his side, they will just as quickly drop him when it is convenient to do so.
I suspect a lot of elected Republicans will ditch him too at the earliest opportunity, like they tried to after the "grab them by the pussy" recording.
those who would vote for the Republican candidate even if it happened to be a black, Muslim woman
@Dr. Eddies Wingman a black, Muslim lesbian.

Call me nuts, but I'm starting to think that Trump is actually a diabolical genius who has everything according to plan
OK, you're nuts.
the Democrats are playing exactly the game he wants them
On the other hand, you are spot-on there.

I don't think Trump has a master plan. Trump's gift is opportunism: he has a knack for seizing media opportunities and manipulating public opinion, and he probably thinks that all publicity -- even negative -- is good publicity.

Too bad he didn't actually write that book.

I think Pelosi knows her man, and that at a certain point someone will crumble.

Sources close to Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) say she will declare around MLK Day. Kirsten Gillibrand is aggressively scouting a campaign HQ. Klobuchar seems very likely to get in as well. This is gonna be a crowded one - the Democrats smell blood in the water, much as the GOP did in 2016.

Sources close to Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) say she will declare around MLK Day. Kirsten Gillibrand is aggressively scouting a campaign HQ. Klobuchar seems very likely to get in as well. This is gonna be a crowded one - the Democrats smell blood in the water, much as the GOP did in 2016.

I think having a competitive primary is good (not only talking about 2020 Dems, but in general_ ... if anything to vet out some people that would hurt them in the general election. But specific to the 2020 field, the risk is they have to go so far left with (what so far) looks like generally similar candidates (Warren, Beto and the ones you mentioned ) that they will not be overly good alternatives to the general electorate even versus Trump.

Ideally they would want to narrow it down to 2 pretty quickly ... but the main candidates each have enough of a regional base to hold on for (Harris in CA, Gillibrand in NY, Warren on the Northeast, Klobchar in the upper midwest, Beto in Texas and southwest, plus toss in the Bernie factor it could be pretty messy (and not good messy) ... but it is pretty far away, I am sure at least 1 or 2 of the main candidates will stumble and eliminate themselves (if not officially at least realistically .. Warren might have already done that) and that will narrow it down a bit.

Someone running as a moderate really has no shot in the next primary. Biden might be the best shot, but he seems like a retread so some degree, he really flamed out in his previous serious primary (plagiarism scandal in 1988 which will come back) and I do not think the primary voters are looking for "old white guy" with some possible #metoo problems. His last real shot was probably in 2018 versus Hillary.

NPR article with some DATA on illegal immigration.
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/10/6836...KrGmWw9uhyGtytJVxTm5m5guMxEGxdfLzMMVVjvmDdNaU

"When it comes to people in the country without proper documentation, the majority of them didn't cross the Mexican border at all. Most of them came to the United States legally — but then don't leave.

About 700,000 travelers to the United States overstayed their visas in fiscal 2017, the most recent year for which the Department of Homeland Security has published figures."

I've never seen such vile preaching in my life... if you can even call it preaching, because most of it is just bigotry and using the Bible to justify it. I say it's high-time we tax these fuckers if they literally think they deserve any crumb of political influence in the country. God, this guy pisses me off so much.

Being a learned Helloween scholar, I can atest the Bible is totally againts walls and tearing them mofos down! Joshua destroyed the wall of Jericho and both the Babylonian and the Romans destroyed at least three of four walls of the Temple.

Being a learned Helloween scholar, I can atest the Bible is totally againts walls and tearing them mofos down! Joshua destroyed the wall of Jericho and both the Babylonian and the Romans destroyed at least three of four walls of the Temple.
...and I’m sure there are anti-wall preachers cherry-picking quotes from these passages just as the pro-wall guy is doing above, and people from both camps are smug in the certainty that their beliefs are supported by the absolute truth of the word of god.

Yet another reason the First Amendment is so important, so people (theoretically) can’t legislate based solely on this mystical snake oil shit.

Yet another reason the First Amendment is so important, so people (theoretically) can’t legislate based solely on this mystical snake oil shit.
You mean, "people who want to legislate based on this mystical snake oil shit need to put up smokescreens". The court has done a decent job in removing those smoke screens, with the exception of "ceremonial deism" but hey.

My boss was telling me today that someone at a US government agency who we're supposed to be working with is unable to provide us with data because of the shutdown. All researchers are not at work because they're non-essential staff.

He also told me that he was at an international meeting in Vancouver last week and nobody from US government agencies could attend. Some who have affiliations with universities were able to attend but those who are employed solely by a government agency are not permitted to. There was another conference somewhere in the US where government employees could not attend. If any government employees attend then they'll be sacked.

I speculated that they could just happen to be near the conference on holiday at the time and just turn up without any affiliation on their badges or on presentations. I suppose if they were found out then they could get in big trouble but maybe their right to present and discuss their work is protected by the first amendment?

Back