WHAMAGEDDON *insert current year*

Oddly enough, I don’t think I’ve heard the Mariah Carey song this year.

Oddly enough, I don’t think I’ve heard the Mariah Carey song this year.

Me either. Honestly, I'd rather not hear Mariah for a month than Wham!. It's funny, not hearing Last Christmas every five minutes has made me appreciate it's actually a pretty good song.

I’m fine with both songs although I prefer the Mariah (I prefer her as a singer too). George Michael/Wham is OK but I’m not a fan of the airy productions found in their music. The vocal performance on Last Christmas is good though.

I'd be far happier to hear Wham than Mariah. But I'm amazed I haven't heard Slade or Wizzard yet.

Shockingly, the song I've been hit with the most this year is Meghan Trainor's "I'll Be Home".

I'd be far happier to hear Wham than Mariah. But I'm amazed I haven't heard Slade or Wizzard yet.

Have you heard the Pogues, though?

Also, isn't it funny how Roy Wood more or less became a one hit wonder, despite being in the Move, ELO, Wizzard and solo and putting out great music everywhere... yet for everyone it's all just about the fact he wishes it could be Christmas everyday...

A Santa sleigh going around the streets visiting local kids a few years ago was playing Fairytale of New York as it went. Quite amusing hearing lines like "you scumbag you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot" while the kiddies waved and ran alongside picking up sweets.

Also, isn't it funny how Roy Wood more or less became a one hit wonder, despite being in the Move, ELO, Wizzard and solo and putting out great music everywhere... yet for everyone it's all just about the fact he wishes it could be Christmas everyday...

Strange yes, but I don't think he himself worries too much about that. If you manage to make a bona fide christmas hit it's a goldmine in royalties every year, I don't know how much he makes on that song but I'm sure it's OK.

No wonder that so many pop and rock bands were pushed to make a Christmas song eventually if they had a little taste of success. Worst case scenario it blew but everyone would forget about it, best case, it actually became a hit for both the studio and the artist, to basically live off the rest of their lives. According to wiki, Slade and the writer Holder makes about £500,000 in royalites every year from "Merry Xmas Everybody"....

I wonder what Mariah Carey makes from the royalties in both the US and Europe and everywhere else in the world. EDIT: Something along the lines of 60 million that's she's earned for that one song alone :D

Last edited:
Back