Official Hockey discussion thread

I was about to look him up right now lol. Sad he played "only" a decade. Goes to show longevity is important. It sure has helped Ovi, who honestly, for a "sniper," has an abysmal S% at 12. While he has grown on me, I stand by my statements from 10 years ago that he plays the numbers. If you shoot 400 times a season, a few are bound to go in, in his case 12% of them.

I'm hoping to have time this coming week to run some numbers. Bossy, Howe, Gretzkey, Lemieux, Ovi, Crosby, the 700 clubbers, etc. run their career percentage (Gretzkey's and Lemieux's went down do to the massive dip in production their last 3 seasons) with a standard 5,000 shots and see goal totals. It doesn't take long, but it's a fun hypothetical. Sure Ovi and Crosby are still active, but they've been in the league long enough to speculate.

Mike Bossy is one of the most prolific goal scorers of all time and a huge part of the Islanders dynasty.

Mike Bossy is one of the most prolific goal scorers of all time and a huge part of the Islanders dynasty.
Agreed, freakin' beast. Again, would have been interesting to see where he would have ended with a 15 year career maybe 20. Would he have been able to sustain that S%, specially with the changing, more defensive NHL. But like most if not all players, injuries f'ed him up. Sad.

Laine (3rd season) scored his 100-101st career goals v Chicago yesterday, a benchmark Ovi also hit (early) in his 3rd season (he was at 98 and the end of his second) and Crosby hit in his 4th (was at 99 at the end of his third).

Not that that predicts anything much but so far Laine’s tracking with the current league elites’ scoring histories as well as some of the hall of famers. Gretzky scored his 100th his second season, Mario Lemieux in his 3rd.

Last edited:
Anyone remember Alexandre Daigle, jeez he had potential.

I LOVE his story as one of the biggest, yet not THE biggest, 1st overall busts. Expensive too. His contract is the one responsible to limiting entry-level contracts. He still played like for 12 years.

Yep, $12M his rookie year and he put up a total of 129 goals in his whole NHL career — plus he couldn’t fight if I remember correctly.

Well, you don't need to fight anymore. Not even in the 90s.

The worst is that the Sens could have had Chris Pronger.

Who DIDN'T date her :lol:

Besides, LC is right, fighting, while still around, is not required of all players. Even enforcers have to score at least 20 goals to stay in the NHL.

Well, you don't need to fight anymore. Not even in the 90s.

My point was Daigle had no other hockey skills to offer aside from being a disappointment as a goal scorer. He didn’t even put up that many assists.

While fighting wasn’t required in the 90’s (yet way more common than now in tbe post-Boogaard NHL), back then enforcers still had more of a role on a team. And, no, I don’t think dropping the gloves would’ve done much for Daigle’s career given he wasn’t a fighter and tougher goons were much cheaper than $12M.

Last edited:
While fighting wasn’t required in the 90’s (yet way more common than now in tne post-Boogaard NHL), back then enforcers still a role on a team. And, no, I don’t think dropping the gloves would’ve done much for Daigle’s career given he wasn’t a fighter and tougher goons were much cheaper than $12M.
Especially since he was, what, 6 feet and under 200 lbs? Yeah, no. Prospects just don't work out sometimes. But he had a better career than Nail Yakupov did...

Well, today’s the day the Seattle officially gets an expansion team! They’ll start in the 2021-2022 season - a bit later than I’d hoped but better that than never.

http://tv5.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/25451216/nhl-votes-give-expansion-franchise-seattle?platform=amp

I live near Seattle, so I’m excited about it. We have the WHL (major junior league) here with some decent teams (Carter Hart, who’s a goalie in the Flyers system, played for Everett, WA) but it’s still no comparison to having an NHL franchise.

This is great news. Expectations are high thanks to Vegas, but this is great. Expect the traffic at the Canadian border to increase HAHAHA.

Wasn't the first U.S team to win the Cup from Seattle... The Seals? they could go for that again. I mean, Ottawa and Winnipeg did it, why not Seattle?

Wasn't the first U.S team to win the Cup from Seattle... The Seals? they could go for that again. I mean, Ottawa and Winnipeg did it, why not Seattle?

The Metropolitans:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Metropolitans

That could work but there’s not been much talk here of reviving that name.

There has been some debate about whether a new Seattle NHL team could ethically hang a 1917 Stanley Cup banner in its arena. To me, there’s a certain kitsch factor to it but it’s neither necessary nor all that controversial.

Last edited:
Does OTT have their six banners up? Genuine question. If they do, Seattle should too, if not, f' it.

Back