Official Hockey discussion thread

I was telling my brother last night, Crosby has won everything, but the Selke. Olympic and World Championship gold medals. Richard, Hart, Art Ross, Lester B. Pearson, Conn Smythe, and of course not one, but three Stanley cups. Every season, before his concussion, he played at least 77 games he had more than 100 points. He is sitll an over a point per game player, but he doesn't NEED to score 100 points again, he has more than proven himself. He wins the face-offs, fights the corners, is defensively responsible, ect, etc. McDavid is obviously an offensive phenom, but the face-off circle? Defensively? He'll learn that, so he isn't the best... yet. But he will be no doubt. McDavid/Mathews is the Crosby/Ovechkin of the new generation.

I kinda disagree. I think you're only as good as you are today. Not saying Crosby isn't the best, and I think a Selke or three are in his future. But it all depends on how you measure it.

I see your point. A friend of mine asserted as much when he said NHL.com's ranking of Crosby at #2 was solely based on reputation and no longer current ability. Either way... the plot thickens.

I don't necessarily think Crosby is lower than the top three. He's still a point-per-game player, his defensive acumen is through the roof, and he makes everyone he plays with so much better that those people get huge contracts they can't live up to on any other team. But McDavid is pretty damn good in his own right. The argument is there, is all I'm saying.

Yeah, I just got the news buzz. Big move, and makes you wonder where Quenneville will end up, too.

Tough week for Quenneville's: John demoted the the A by the Devils and now Joel getting bounced. Wonder if he wants to move to Ottawa.

Tough week for Quenneville's: John demoted the the A by the Devils and now Joel getting bounced. Wonder if he wants to move to Ottawa.
I'm sure Joel wouldn't mind making the move. But speaking as an Ottawa resident, I am 100% sure that Guy Boucher will not be fired. Melnyk doesn't want to pay 2 coaches.

This is not a surprise. Teams don't do well the first to go is the coach. Stevens also got fired from the Kings and all the players say is that they take responsibility for his firing. Well no shit. Next stop is either a college, the AHL or another NHL club that will fire their coach/just fired their coach.

All I know is that professional sports are of the few places where getting fired doesn't damage your reputation or hire-ability. They'll be fine.

Hextall fired by the Flyers. Not as big a shocker or immediate impact as firing a coach, but I guess he hasn't made enough moves to keep the organization happy.

on a positive note Ovie schored goal 625. He'll definitely make the 700 club and could possibly be member #3 of the 800 one. Crosby will most likely get 500, I doubt he'll hit the 600 one, specially with how often he gets hurt nowadays.

Yeah it seems very obvious that Ovie is gonna hit 700. He's definitely one of the greatest goal scorers of all time! Laine is looking like the heir to that throne, the new great Finnish scorer.

I wish you knew how overhyped Laine is here in Finland. The guy is awesome but literally half of the daily sports news is about him.

I wish you knew how overhyped Laine is here in Finland. The guy is awesome but literally half of the daily sports news is about him.

It's exciting! But I get you. Here in Mexico we're the same with our soccer stars in European leagues. It is a source of pride for the country and we back them no matter what. I guess it is different in Finnish hockey since There are MANY good Finnish players, but I think Laine deserves the hype.

Speaking of good Finnish players, Mikko Rantanen just became teh first player this season to hit 40 points with 10 goals and 30 assists. He has the same amount of goals as Crosby, but twice the assists. He is also clicking at a 1.67 ppg to Croby's 1.25 and Malkin's 1.32. McDavid is at a 1.38. Matthews is due to return and was at a 1.45. If he keeps it up and stays healthy the rest of the season no reason not to end up in the top 10, which should include Rantanen, Mckinnon, Mcdavid, Matthews, Bergeron and Malkin for sure.

Buffalo keeps winning in OT and Vegas is finally clicking winning their 4th straight.

Rantanen's numbers are based on a really high S% from all three, though. MacKinnon and Landeskog are finishing for him.

To be fair, the line is disgusting:
Rantanen is 10-30-40 at 18.5%
MacKinnon is 17-20-37 at 16%
Landeskog is 14-12-26 at 20.3%

None of those S% are sustainable long term, but it's been a hell of a run for the Avs.

yeah, outside of Gretzkey and Lemieux I haven't seen many players to sustain that kind of S% in a career, but for a season it is possible. W. Karlsson of Vegas is a good example. He was a beast last season, this season we're seeing what I think is his actual self.

Watched Pens v. Avs. Crosby scored a natural hat trick, but in the end Colorado's line one was just too much. Rantanen, Mckinnon and Landeskog were just fucking beasts. I was wondering why it took so long for colorado to click this way? Mckinnon didn't really start to click until AFTER Duchene's trade which JUST happened. Many of the current pieces have been there for years. Varlamov, Erik Johnson, Landeskog, Mckinnon, etc. but only NOW did they go BOOM, zero to fucking 60 in seconds.

Back