Maidenfans Meetups 2019

FINALLY!! Maiden is playing an outdoor show that is actually IN Los Angeles, as opposed to an hour or two away in Irvine or Devore. I plan to go to that one, for sure. Not sure about others. Have always wanted to visit Montreal, and a meetup for the show would be a good excuse, but I think my wife may have already made other summer plans for the family. (How dare she.)
@Cornfed Hick For the trivia nerds among us: when was the last time, or is this a first? How do we define IN LA?

EDIT:

Okay, I just checked. Maiden's 2019 gig in Los Angeles is the 2nd ever Maiden concert in Los Angeles that is in Los Angeles and that is outdoor.

The first?

That was the infamous gig (on the day) where Dave Murray broke his finger, which resulted in the cancellation of the following three concerts. I remember that well. Baeleron, the founder of The Iron Maiden Commentary, was gutted about that.

That was twenty years before (the next tour), on The Ed Hunter Tour. The Greek Theater, 30 July 1999.

Last edited:
Houston (actually the show is in the Woodlands, which is 30 miles north of Houston. This sucks because even though it is a nice part of town & a nice venue, it is outdoors and will be very hot. The heat index in September around Houston is still in the 90s)

Houston (actually the show is in the Woodlands, which is 30 miles north of Houston. This sucks because even though it is a nice part of town & a nice venue, it is outdoors and will be very hot. The heat index in September around Houston is still in the 90s)

Yeah ... not happy they are playing outside in Dallas either .. which unlike Houston, is not in a good area of town and the place is generally pretty crappy .... though I will say they have been making some incremental improvements on the facility lately and the city just outsourced it .l.. so there is hope

Maiden's 2019 gig in Los Angeles is the 2nd ever Maiden concert in Los Angeles that is in Los Angeles and that is outdoor.

The first?... The Ed Hunter Tour. The Greek Theater, 30 July 1999.

I did NOT know the answer to that! I knew it had been a while, at least since before the AMOLAD tour (which was in Irvine). I would have liked to see them at the Greek, but it's too small for them now. Not sure why they haven't played the Hollywood Bowl. But the new soccer stadium should be the perfect venue for them. Very excited.

After looking at the tour dates in a bit of detail, these are the shows that I can feasibly make with regards to location, date and flights.

20/7 - Atlanta. Can fly direct from Heathrow and a friend will be living there.
24/7 - Washington. Can almost certainly fly direct from Heathrow.
5/8 - Montreal. LooseCannon is hosting Maidenfans Canada. Flights work out with getting back for Bloodstock Festival.
22/8 - Chicago. Can fly direct from Heathrow.
24/8 - Indianapolis. Surely can't get a direct flight but would like to visit the Brickyard.

I'd like to get to a big Maidenfans meetup and I spent a bit of time on Friday looking at flights back home and can get an early flight from Montreal via Toronto to land at Heathrow a couple of days before Bloodstock. @LooseCannon if we stay in Montreal after the show will it be possible for me to get to the airport for a stupidly early flight? I know now that I'll definitely be employed until mid-July at least so the flights are affordable, and I'd like to spend a few days in Canada before the show too, especially as I'll be leaving so abruptly afterwards.

The other shows I listed would theoretically be possible to get to, but as I am going to a music festival in England right in the middle of them I'd rather not do two sets of trans-Atlantic flights in one summer and would have to take a lot of time off a job I don't have yet. Frustrating.

if we stay in Montreal after the show will it be possible for me to get to the airport for a stupidly early flight?
Should be able to get an Uber or a cab to the airport no problem. If you come early we could drive to the Hartford show too, but you're welcome to stay as long as you want.

I was going to do an east coast show, but we decided not to. I'm looking at doing the following. TBD though.

Vancouver, BC
Tacoma, WA
Portland, OR
Las Vegas, NV
Dallas, TX
Houston, TX
San Antonio, TX

I'm 100% in for Tacoma, Portland, and Vegas, however I'm debating on wether or not Texas will be too expensive. I'm also really unsure of Dallas, it seems like a weird area. I would also have to leave immediately the next morning because I would be doing FTTB for sure in Houston.

I also need to get a passport or a Nexus pass for Vancouver, not sure if I'll do that.

I would be doing FTTB for sure in Houston
How can you know this? Have you bribed Rod?

Should be able to get an Uber or a cab to the airport no problem. If you come early we could drive to the Hartford show too, but you're welcome to stay as long as you want.
I'd rather just stick with Montreal rather than have the hassle of crossing the border, speaking to US border Nazis, using another currency, and crossing the border again. There's also the chance of being shot in the US. I had a look at the transport from Downtown Montreal to the airport and there's a 24 hour bus service which is hourly during the night. I reckon if we stay close to that then I can get to the airport quite easily. I guess a taxi or Uber would be fine too as I forgot how close North American airports are to the city they're associated with - unlike in Europe! Last year the taxis I took between New Orleans airport and Downtown didn't break my balls, although I was able to claim those on expenses since it was a work trip.

FTTB for sure in Houston.
I thought the only area without seats in Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion was the lawn which is in the back behind all the seats. The Pit (area closest to the stage) has always had seats. I sat in that area for Steely Dan reunion. Never been GA to my knowledge

How can you know this? Have you bribed Rod?

I'd rather just stick with Montreal rather than have the hassle of crossing the border, speaking to US border Nazis, using another currency, and crossing the border again. There's also the chance of being shot in the US. I had a look at the transport from Downtown Montreal to the airport and there's a 24 hour bus service which is hourly during the night. I reckon if we stay close to that then I can get to the airport quite easily. I guess a taxi or Uber would be fine too as I forgot how close North American airports are to the city they're associated with - unlike in Europe! Last year the taxis I took between New Orleans airport and Downtown didn't break my balls, although I was able to claim those on expenses since it was a work trip.
I think the cab is set at a rate, but not 100%. Regardless you should be able to make it.

How can you know this? Have you bribed Rod?.
I never said I’ll win it. But I’m 2 for 2 so far!

I thought the only area without seats in Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion was the lawn which is in the back behind all the seats. The Pit (area closest to the stage) has always had seats. I sat in that area for Steely Dan reunion. Never been GA to my knowledge
It should be a small pit at the bottom in front of the stage. The seats should be removable.

How many people get FTTB admission? I know a load of people who seem to get it every time, maybe there aren't really that many people applying for it.

I never said I’ll win it. But I’m 2 for 2 so far!
Lucky bastard. I entered for the shows I went to last year and got none. Sad!

I think the cab is set at a rate, but not 100%. Regardless you should be able to make it.
Yes. It looks achievable. I'll have to be packed before the show and get to the airport for 4AM, maybe a bit earlier. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep across the Atlantic. :lol:

Shall I PM you the FC code so you can get tickets in the presale?

Lucky bastard. I entered for the shows I went to last year and got none. Sad!
The three person group I go with has 3 FC accounts. You would only need two wins for 3 people. For Tacoma in 2016 all three accounts won, but for Vegas last year we had two wins. I might open a fourth account just to be sure.

They're not very strict about who gets in. A guy just asks for your username and gives you a wristband if your on the list.

How many people get FTTB admission? I know a load of people who seem to get it every time, maybe there aren't really that many people applying for it.

I don't know about in every amphitheater, but in the one in St. Louis and Chicago, the pit/floor area is relatively small. Like, so small that only maybe a hundred or two hundred people could fit in it befoe it's full.

They do, what was it, 50 FTTB drawings for each show? And each person gets to bring a guest. So that's 100 people total for FTTB. And considering that could almost be the entire selection of pit/floor tickets for certain amphitheaters (and that's even assuming that every person who bought a pit ticket was a part of the FC), I could see how the same people win multiple years.

Back