Your Maiden blasphemy

To me Run to the Hills is taking the classic Maiden sound and dumbing it down, i think the opening guitar riff sounds very bad. "Duh duh duuuuuuh" Can't stand that annoying melody, but if you like it then more power to you, i can't argue with that it's all a matter of opinion.

It's generic, i never liked it! Not even when i was new to the band

That's your opinion, but when someone says that do not like RTTH, it's like if someone says that do not like You've Got Another Thing Comin'.

Last edited:
You're insane, man. RTTH is a eternal classic !

they should have passed it on to Guns N Roses..... I HATE RTTH.... for the same reason I hate Invaders. The chorus ruins it so much! It's not terrible but the chorus destroys its aggression quickly as the other mentioned track does. Thank God it's at the end of their sets. I can leave early and beat traffic lol

in regards to Seventh son comments, The evil that men do is not top 5 from that album for me. The solo from Adrian is certainly phenomenal and one of the greatest IMO but thanks to Janick, we'll never hear it clean and pure again live.... and haven't since Adrian left back in 1989 actually.

top 5 SSOASS songs
Infinite Dreams
Seventh Son
Only the Good Die Young
The Clairvoyant
Th Prophecy

Evil is actually the solo I think works best with Jan and H playing together. Trooper never made any sense to me.

Evil is actually the solo I think works best with Jan and H playing together. Trooper never made any sense to me.

Tbf, the dual Trooper solo on RiR 2001 is amazing imo, I think it just gives it an amazing kick gives the song more power and adrenaline. Hasn't sound quite right since Adrian started detuning though

I didn't realise Adrian detuned for Trooper too, when did he start that?

I remember reading an interesting comparison from Janick regarding the dual solos, he likened it to Tony Iommi's solos on songs like "War Pigs" or "Children of the Grave", where you've got two guitar solo tracks playing something totally different from each other. Evil works because the original solo was slower so it becomes more of a harmony thing, but Trooper just sounds a bit messy to me.

I didn't realise Adrian detuned for Trooper too, when did he start that?

It was sometime after he returned to Maiden. He'll detune to drop D on Run To The Hills, Trooper, Hallowed and Wrathchild. I don't know if he always does it on these songs however. He always does it on Trooper I think

I don't think H plays The Trooper in Drop D, but even if he is, dropping the lowest chord of the guitar from E to D has zero influence on the solo section.

I don't think H plays The Trooper in Drop D, but even if he is, dropping the lowest chord of the guitar from E to D has zero influence on the solo section.
He did play it in 1999 and 2003. And that's solely because he wasn't bothered to change guitars.

Hallowed was in D until 2005, Wrathchild until Death On The Road. The strangest song he ever played in drop D was 2MTM on the 1st leg of Brave New World Tour.

He did play it in 1999 and 2003. And that's solely because he wasn't bothered to change guitars.

Hallowed was in D until 2005, Wrathchild until Death On The Road. The strangest song he ever played in drop D was 2MTM on the 1st leg of Brave New World Tour.

Thanks for the info. Related to what our colleague was saying, my point was that the Drop D tuning does not influence the solo at all.

Thanks for the info. Related to what our colleague was saying, my point was that the Drop D tuning does not influence the solo at all.
Exactly. And Trooper can be played in both tunings, since they both bring something to the song.

Huh, so the Jackson V was in drop D in 1999? Interesting. I'm surprised he played Aces High with it, too. I kind of miss some of his tuning experimentation these days, it's a neat little addition in songs like Hallowed.

Back