KISS

Animalize is (too me) their heaviest (& at times) fastest 80s lp. Get All You Can Take, Ive Had Enough & Under the Gun i always loved.

I'm also not a fan of speedy Kiss, regardless of the era.

16: Dressed To Kill
This might be controversial. By far the worst album of the original lineup. It really sounds like the final whimper of a dying band on a dying label. Yes it has the classic Rock and Roll All Nite, but keep in mind it was the Alive! version that made Kiss take off. The version on this album is comparable to the studio version of Fear of the Dark. Doesn't have the energy that song commands. Also is severely lacking a guitar solo.

As for the rest of the album, it's the very definition of half baked. A lot of this was clearly rushed and many songs remain unfinished. Rock Bottom could've been the next Black Diamond with its hypnotic 12 string guitar intro, but once the song starts to rock it hardly lasts a minute. Many of the songs' silences were also extended to give the illusion of longer songs. The whole thing barely reaches a half hour and at least 15 of those 30 minutes is very forgettable.

That said, this is the classic lineup and it's not without some good moments. C'Mon and Love Me is one of my favorite Kiss tunes and one that I wish they would play live more. Fun fact: that's actually Paul Stanley doing the guitar leads, not Ace Frehley. The song She comes from Gene and Paul's original band: Wicked Lester. Check out this original demo with flutes!

Overall, nothing on this album is bad. We're definitely starting to get to the good stuff here. It's more that the good moments on this album are brief and there's a lot of filler. But there are no "log in your fire" moments, so it already has a leg up on a few albums.

Favorite songs: Room Service, She, C'Mon and Love Me, Rock Bottom

15: Unmasked
One of the more divisive Kiss albums. I know many people consider it the worst, but I have a soft spot for many of the tracks. I think with a meatier production (particularly the guitars), this could've been a great album. Just listen to any of the live versions of these songs, they're much more powerful and sound more like Kiss songs. There are some really bad songs (Torpedo Girl) but I find this to be an enjoyable album overall. Most of it is at least enjoyable. If I could choose any album for them to go back and redo, I think this would be it. It wouldn't even have to be a straight hard rock album, could even just dial it back a bit to the Dynasty sound and the result would be good. All it needed was some heavier guitars, maybe even Eric Carr on drums. But as it is it's poppy and a fun album.

Actually, going through the track list again it's only the last 3 songs I don't care for (yes I even enjoy She's So European). I'm slightly reconsidering my placement, but I think it's still fine where it is. The albums from here on out are all at least pretty good.

Favorite songs: Talk To Me, Naked City, Is That You, Shandi

I would rank Dressed to Kill higher, but I agree it is certainly the weakest of the first 6 albums. Unmasked is a cool album, one that I like more now than I did when it came out. Good songs, bad production and just a bad decision to go full on pop.

14: Sonic Boom
I remember being really excited for this when it came out. I was 2 years old the last time Kiss made an album so obviously I had never been a fan for a new album and I think the general assumption was that Psycho Circus would be the last. While it is similar to Monster in that they're clearly forcing a classic 70s type sound, I think they pull it off better here. There are some dumb songs like When Lightning Strikes and Stand, but there are also some really solid rockers. It's also not loaded with nearly as much filler as Monster. I was also really impressed with Paul's vocals on this album. It doesn't come close to the classic 70s material, but it's a decent effort and was a satisfying comeback album.

Favorite songs: Never Enough, Danger Us, Modern Day Delilah, Russian Roulette

13: Lick It Up
The very first non-makeup album, not that it really impacts the music. This is probably the first time since Love Gun that Kiss is starting to sound like Kiss again. Yea Creatures of the Night was a heavier album but it was really lacking the glam aspect, where Lick It Up brings it back in a big way. It's heavy but also arena ready, and also not as polished as the subsequent albums. Gene Simmons hasn't checked out yet so the consistency is still there, but I don't think this reaches the same levels of greatness that Creatures did. There are too many songs that sit firmly in the "meh" category. But this album also contains some of the very best Kiss songs.
Also like Sonic Boom, this is one of the very few Kiss albums that is truly a band effort. Every member receives a songwriting credit and there are no outsider songwriters.

Favorite songs: Exciter, Lick It Up, A Million To One, All Hell's Breaking Loose, And On the 8th Day

Solo album rankings:

3: Paul Stanley
I know a lot of people like this one and it's certainly the most Kiss sounding of the four, no surprise there. At the same time, a lot of this sounds like leftover Kiss material. I get the impression that he was the least serious about the solo albums thing and just filled it with songs that weren't good enough to be on a Kiss album. He's still a good songwriter though and there are several songs worth checking out.

Favorite songs: Tonight You Belong To Me, Move On,

I agree with your assessment of Lick It Up ... Sonic Boom was a lot better than I expected, but I really dislike the Tommy is the new spaceman, so we will have him do a space song and trying to keep that formula going with other people .. and to me that is a problem with the album, it is a formula (not to mention a horrible cover). That said, the songs you listed are good tunes and it was good to see them create some new music after years of basically doing the reunion/"farewell" tour over and over and over again.

For the solo albums, I would put Paul at # 2 and Gene in the #3 spot.

All these guys are really into this, a lot. Love to see that enjoyment! (you could skip the first one and a half minute)

This is the thread where we can discuss everything about KISS, right ? Anyway, Kiss are one of my favorite bands and I love them since I was a small boy. I really like their albums in the 80's, though their peak was in the 70's. After the Revenge '92 album they do not put so many albums and interesting things, but it have a couple of very very good songs. Their live shows are always great and a real pleasure :p Well, I don't like that they recently (maybe after the reunion with Ace and Peter) plays almost the same songs every time, but you can't drop your biggest hits from the setlist - from all of the classic bands from the 80's (heavy metal & rock) only Maiden plays so many new songs from their new albums.

Kiss are ikons of the rock and roll and music in general ! I love Paul Stanley voice and Ace's ''fire'' guitar - also, the great Eric Carr is one of my favorite drummers of all time along with Nicko.
My favorite Kiss album ? Ahhh, hard task ! I like a lot Crazy Nights '87 which is a really underrated album. Destroyer '76 is tremendous. Oh yeah, the Unmasked '80 album is not near as bad as some thinks - pure hard rock ! The only albums that I do not like are: The Elder '81 which is not that bad, but not great either - they should had released a more heavy album like Ace wanted at the time, and COS: TFS '97 - totally unnecessary album with that grunge-alternative sound, no wonder why they not toured it - actually both albums do not had a proper tour !

The song Forever from HITS '89 album is a very favorite song of mine and it is in my top 10 songs of all time !

''Rock and Roll All Nite and party every day''..... :)

Last edited:
I decided to make a Kiss album with only bonus songs - on albums, on compilations, unreleased songs etc:

Side one:
I'm A Legend Tonight
2.(You Make Me) Rock Hard
3.Sword and Stone
4.In Your Face

Side two:
Nowhere To Run
6.Down On Your Knees
7.Time Traveler
8.Right Here Right Now

Well, I think this is a great album with a Kiss essential classic sound/vibe type of songs.

Last edited:
kissendoftheroadlogotour_638.jpg

It will last three years and then they'll probably decide to keep going.

kissendoftheroadlogotour_638.jpg

It will last three years and then they'll probably decide to keep going.

Well that's sad for me. :( Another legends will retire, but 3 years farewell tour is super. Obviously they are old, and all of the members have to sing live to make it sound good - Paul Stanley has troubles with his voice now. But I grew up with the music of Kiss and the spectacular shows that the band does, so I love them and I wish they will record one last show from this tour and released it on DVD with a live album for one last time ! I also hope they will cover more albums, not only the songs that they play every time....

Last edited:
Honestly I think this is overdue (assuming this is really it) ... I think their last farewell tour should have been it. Paul's voice is just really bad now ... and they have been playing essentially the same show (swapping a few songs here and there) since 1996.

I’m guessing this one is legit. They’re getting up there in age and Paul can’t sing anymore. Gene has also been laying the foundation for smaller solo work the past year or two. I agree that 2000 would have been a good time to hang it up, but that tour itself wasn’t great. At the very least, there’s a chance to end on a higher note although I don’t see that happening given Paul’s current condition. Would be interesting if some reunions happen though. They’ve been getting friendly with pretty much all ex members (including Vinny Vincent).

I’m also curious what is next for the band. They’ve mentioned replacing Gene and Paul. I could see them turning this into a Vegas show akin to Blue Man Group. Will Kiss Kruise continue? That sells out every year.

I think this one is legit for sure .. Paul sounds so bad now .. and their age. They will milk Kiss for every dime they can get out of it well after they stop performing. I have no doubt about that.

Back