Worst Iron Maiden Song

If No Prayer had better production I think it would be a genuinely good album. Sure, still not close to the bands best but it has some legitimately good songs (Fates Warning, Public Enema) that are let down by it.

Having a listen to it on vinyl* now and it sounds fantastic, can't go wrong with a Friday night beer and a seldom listened to Maiden album.

*russian release on gala records, I'm wondering if this is a different mix or mastering, as the higher frequency stuff like guitar melodies and backing vocals sound great, or am I just too used to listening to the CD?

@srfc
Have no issue with the production either. Not in the slightest. Maybe this is in reference to the 98 remasters?

Just listened to the Gala version you mentioned. Awesome sound indeed.
Especially the guitar work stands out. Check out Run Silent Run Deep at approx 2:33. On par with with almost everything soundwise on the 80s stuff imo.

I also prefer the Gala version of Fear of the Dark, actually. Very bright and clear sound as well.

Would be interesting with a thread for comparing Maiden vinyl pressings?
Maybe to guide people wanting to start buying Maiden vinyl get the best pressings availible.
Maybe get @Mosh involved for the re-releases as I recall he purchased all.

I have a few different editions of, mostly the 80-90s stuff. I remember reading you have a few oddities as well.

Last edited:
I have a few different editions of, mostly the 80-90s stuff. I remember reading you have a few oddities as well.

Would be a good idea, at least it would be an excuse to have a listen to some of the stuff!

NPFTD is the only gala release I have, I only picked it up for the different "Tailgunner" cover, I don't think I'd ever even listened to it before.

I have a fair amount of stuff, not up with the top level of Maiden collectors by a long stretch, but definitely more than a sensible person would have!

I have a fair amount of stuff, not up with the top level of Maiden collectors by a long stretch, but definitely more than a sensible person would have!

Aye, same as that. I have the red vinyl US Epic version of No Prayer and listened to it for the first time recently. Sounds good to me, fuller than the cd, it gave me a new appreciation for the album.

Every version of the (80s and 90s at least) albums will have different mastering depending on the country of manufacture.
Meaning the Gala/Russian version you listened to @srfc will sound different (perhaps only slightly) than the Epic/US version you @Niall Kielt you listened to.
This makes it quite the daunting task to pick out best versions of each album, but if people are interested, we could give it a shot.

Not only that but the quality of the actual manufacturing might vary based on whatever pressing plant it came from. Promo copies are supposedly ideal for this reason.

...and since Lightning Strikes Twice is one of the best VXI and Blaze-era songs overall, I'm thoroughly confused.

Nearly every Iron Maiden song in my opinion ranges from a complete awesome ballad that touches the soul to a fairly decent headbangar. However there are a few of the 150 or so songs I cannot stand. The worst 10 Iron Maiden in my opinion are Drifter (that weird can-can sounding solo just feels out of place), Invaders (the song is cool to jam to until it goes way out of tune when Bruce sings Invaaaders, pillaging!), the guitar in with your Die with Your Boots On is brilliant, but the lyrics drag it way down. I think the lyrics in Back in the Village are horrible and Can I play With Madness sounds like Iron Maiden's weird childish interpretation of Jump by Van Halen, a song I already think is way overrated. The beginning No Prayer for the Dying is really weak and the solo feels like Iron Maiden was half strumming on their guitar. The Apparitions should be really cool, and it first reminded me of the Burning Heart by Survivor, but the lyrics feel remedial and condescending. I hate Dont Look Into the Eyes of a Stranger, and the Clansmen feels like Blaze Baley hollering for three minutes. Every song on Brave New World is awesome, but Dream of Mirrors has the most annoying intro EVER!!! And finally I can't stand Age of Innocence or the Legacy

Back