The Prophecy vs The Fallen Angel
The Clairvoyant
vs The Nomad
Black Bart Blues vs Out Of The Silent Planet
Sheriff of Huddersfield vs The Apparition
Only The Good Die Young
vs Thin Line Between Love And Hate

8-3 to 'Brave New World'.

It's currently 5-4 to 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' with the final two match-ups all square. :eek:

Moonchild vs The Wicker Man
Infinite Dreams vs Ghost of the Navigator (tough one, both are among the best of the albums)
Can I Play with Madness vs Brave New World
The Evil that Men Do vs Blood Brothers (tough one as well)
Massacre vs The Mercenary
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son vs
Dream of Mirrors
The Prophecy vs Fallen Angel
The Clairvoyant vs
The Nomad
Black Bart Blues vs Out of the Silent Planet
Only the Good Die Young vs The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (and another not easy one at all, both are great closers)

I ended up going 7-4 for Seventh Son, although a couple matches could've easily swung it in the other direction. I find BNW's greatest strength is its first four songs. That's one of the greatest runs in Metal history, with only few that could rival it. Unfortunately, 3 out of 4 of the Seventh Son songs are also some of my favorites and just slightly edge out their competitors. Blood Brothers vs Evil was the toughest one, I was very close to picking Blood Brothers but ultimately I had to go with Evil. I could change my mind tomorrow though.

After that, both albums are a bit more spotty. In the match between SSOASS and Dream of Mirrors, I gave it to Mirrors. Something about SSOASS always felt a bit incomplete to me. Ending on an instrumental like that is interesting and unique, but the ending is too sudden. I don't need Bruce to come back at the end, but it feels like a proper ending is missing. Dream of Mirrors is actually pretty coherent, more than I remember. It has a great buildup and some of Steve's most interesting lyrics and melodies.

Prophecy vs Fallen Angel sees two overlooked tracks pitted against each other. I like The Prophecy but it's not one I go out of my way for often. The Fallen Angel, on the other hand, is one of my favorite Maiden rockers. Among the album's best tracks.

This might be the only match where the b-sides actually help an album. I went with both Black Bart Blues and Sheriff of Huddersfield against their opponents. I feel a bit bad choosing b-sides over fully fleshed out tracks, but I actually genuinely like these b-sides. Some really good guitar solos and catchy hooks on both. I'm not crazy about Out of the Silent Planet and do I even need to talk about The Apparition?

It’s generally a song I’m pretty indifferent about but I have to say I like it a lot less lately.

Moonchild
Infinite Dreams
Brave New World
Blood Brothers
The Mercenary
Dream of Mirrors
The Prophecy
The Clairvoyant
Out of the Silent Planet
Sheriff of Huddersfield
Only the Good Die Young

6-5 Seventh Son with some very tough matchups...

" ! " indicates that the choice hasn't been easy.

Moonchild vs
The Wicker Man
Infinite Dreams vs Ghost of the Navigator !
Can I Play with Madness vs Brave New World (tough one, but CIPWM is more diverse and has a great instrumental section) !
The Evil that Men Do vs Blood Brothers !
Massacre vs The Mercenary (almost everything is better than this one)
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son vs Dream of Mirrors
The Prophecy vs Fallen Angel
The Clairvoyant vs
The Nomad
Black Bart Blues vs Out of the Silent Planet
Only the Good Die Young
vs The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

8-3 for Seventh Son.

Last edited:
Oh no. I can feel some of Maiden's finest work about to get absolutely steamrollered by my beloved Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Back