Which Maiden songs we should consider as a ballads/power ballads ?

Scorps were a main offender and did many. Winds of Change per chance?

To be fair, The Scorpions wrote some amazing ones in their heyday (one per album: Always Somewhere for Lovedrive, Lady Starlight for Animal Magnetism, When the Smoke is Going Down for Blackout, Still Loving You for Love at First Sting), but from Winds of Change onwards they dominated their output.

To be fair, The Scorpions wrote some amazing ones in their heyday (one per album: Always Somewhere for Lovedrive, Lady Starlight for Animal Magnetism, When the Smoke is Going Down for Blackout, Still Loving You for Love at First Sting), but from Winds of Change onwards they dominated their output.

I think their musical prime was on the 70's. "ln Trance", "Yellow Raven" and "We'll burn the sky" are some of The ballads of the time.

I do not know how we missed to mention it, but I think, No Prayer For The Dying is also a kind of a ballad/power ballad.

It is interesting that in some interview I read that in 1990 when the album was released, Bruce says that on the title song he sings better than ever - ever since the POM era, were his exact words !

As others have said, Wasting Love, that’s pretty much it. And a very good one, even had that cool moody video, with no Eddie in sight.

Part of the appeal of Wasting Love is that it is an anomaly in Maiden's catalogue. If they'd done loads of them it would come across as cheesy and tedious, and even if some think it still does, it benefits from being different and a rarity for Maiden.

Journeyman and Wasting love is the only ballad songs by Maiden I think. And Wasting love IMO it is the worst Maiden song; it reeks record company pressure, same style as GNR - don’t cry, poor song and video, and sounds more like a leftover from Tattooed millionaire. I’m so glad Maiden never have tried to do something similar again

Journeyman however, is a very nice song and also very experimental by Maiden standards

For some reason, the only song I ever thought of ticking all the boxes of a power ballad that Maiden have done is Wasting Love.

I was literally coming to post this same opinion. Wasting Love is the only Maiden song i'd consider a power ballad. The rest of too much "stuff" going on that I never think of them that way.

Come now, Don't Cry is a great song!
It is! It’s just someone from the label, Rod or someone else said «you guys should do something like this, we’ll give you money to do a pro video and hope you’ll get lots of new fans!»

Well, for me Wasting Love is a fantastic song with a beautiful solo from Janick and I rank it pretty high in my Maiden's rankings, aka.... best of the best(beast). ! :p

“Empire of the Clouds” is basically a disaster if you’re considering those.

For once we agree on that one, I see ;)

Anyway, sure, Wasting Love is definitely a ballad/power ballad. So is Out of the Shadows - that one is so stylistically and melodically similar and has atmosphere so close to the former it almost lessens my ability to appreciate it properly.

Prodigal Son and Strange World for the Dianno era. Remember Tomorrow is a weird one, but I guess it could be seen as a certain type of "power" ballad (not "power ballad") as done by LedZep (Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You), then Scorpions (We'll Burn the Sky) and later by Tullica on almost every album.

Como Estais and 2 AM for the Blaze era.

In general, though, Maiden are really not that heavy on ballads. I guess you could say that songs like When the Wild Wind Blows might be seen as ballads, in more ways than one, but it's kinda stretching.

If you ask me, I think "Infinite Dreams" is the ultimate heavy metal ballad.

I think it is more like an epic, though the slow start of the song is definitely resembles a power ballad.
What about COTD?

Yes, it can be count in that category too, since Maiden do not have so much ballads/slow songs - but they always have songs which starts slow and then the fast or the mid-tempo part comes, and then again ends calm.

If we can call Blood Brothers and Coming Home a ballads/power ballads, I think The Man Of Sorrows also can be included in that category.

Back