Which Maiden songs we should consider as a ballads/power ballads ?

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Yeah, Maiden are not a band which writes much ballads to their albums, like Scorpions, Accept and Priest do.

Even Bruce has a handful of ballads on his solo albums !

I think Maiden don't a have a hit ballad song in the 80's albums. However, I think these songs can be called a ballads/power ballads:

- Strange World
- Prodigal Son
- Wasting Love
- Journeyman

Although, I think the criteria for a (power) ballad is a slow tempo song, but can a song like Blood Brothers be a ballad... :confused:

Last edited:
“Empire of the Clouds” is basically a disaster ballad if you’re considering those.

Once power ballads were a huge fuckin thing. I remember loads of compilation CDs and LPs full of them. It might still be a thing on streaming today, not sure.
Scorps were a main offender and did many. Winds of Change per chance?

Once power ballads were a huge fuckin thing. I remember loads of compilation CDs and LPs full of them. It might still be a thing on streaming today, not sure.
Scorps were a main offender and did many. Winds of Change per chance?

Yeah, in the 80's ballads/power ballads were huge - bands like Kiss, Priest, Scorpions, Accept almost always putted a ballad on their albums ! Maybe the Maiden hit ballad from the 80's is Revelations, if we can call it a ballad. - the glam metal bands popularized the power ballads even more...

For the most part I'm glad Maiden never jumped on the bandwagon. I don't mind the occasional power ballad, but most of them were pretty crap.

For the most part I'm glad Maiden never jumped on the bandwagon. I don't mind the occasional power ballad, but most of them were pretty crap.

I think that this is not their type of songs. I rank Strange World and Prodigal Son as some of the worst Maiden songs....

Last edited:
For some reason, the only song I ever thought of ticking all the boxes of a power ballad that Maiden have done is Wasting Love. Maybe also because Maiden have referred to it as such in interviews as well. Blood Brothers may be another candidate, but all the others mentioned here just don't really fit in the category.

For some reason, the only song I ever thought of ticking all the boxes of a power ballad that Maiden have done is Wasting Love. Maybe also because Maiden have referred to it as such in interviews as well. Blood Brothers may be another candidate,

Indeed Wasting Love is the most recognizable as a power ballad in the Maiden discography. Blood Brothers is like Coming Home, slow tempo song that resembles (though little) some type of a ballad - Maiden have a lot of those songs !
but all the others mentioned here just don't really fit in the category.

Well, these are songs that have parts in them that resembles a ballad/power ballad. Maiden never were a band that writes so many ballads - that's why it was interesting to me which songs we should consider as a ballads....

Last edited:
Back