NOW WATCHING

A lot of people didn't like the remake because they thought it was inferior to the original, but I disagree. I loved Chloë's performance, I think she handled it very well. Not to mention Julianne Moore, who was nothing short of perfect in the role of Margaret. I think the main problem with the 1976 version is that it was sold as a horror film, whereas I see it as more of a drama film than anything else. So when I saw it, expecting to be terrified, I ended up being disappointed. The 2013 remake was also kinda sold as a horror movie, however, even the trailers focused a lot more on the drama surrounding all of that situation than the original did. The movie itself, IMO, turned it all up to 11, and it's especially touching to watch nowadays due to all the current bullying problems we face. And Moretz in the role of Carrie (an apparently stereotypical "pretty girl" in constrast to Sissy Spacek, which looked "creepier") only implies that bullying is not exclusive to the "ugly and weird", everyone is subject to it nowadays. I think you should check it out, if you enjoyed the first one. Consider it an update. :p

Maybe I have a lower standard for horror movies because I don't really ever expect to be terrified by them, just feel tension/suspense and wanting the main character not to die. I'll check the remake out

What the fuck was that??? I don't understand why they just didn't have Nick die in the dam explosion in the season 3 finale instead of killing him off in the most bullshit way possible.

Also the whole flashback storyline should have just been one episode, but it looks like they're reeaallly going to drag it out for like the entire season. :facepalm:

I hate to overreact, but I'm already afraid that they've completely ruined what was a good show and turned it into "The Morgan Show".

I’m halfway through the second episode of The Wire. It’s definitely a well made show, but does it become something other than a cop vs. drug dealer drama? There’s nothing bad about it, I just don’t see why this is so different than other cop shows (other than the increased focus on the criminals point-of-view).

I’m halfway through the second episode of The Wire. It’s definitely a well made show, but does it become something other than a cop vs. drug dealer drama? There’s nothing bad about it, I just don’t see why this is so different than other cop shows (other than the increased focus on the criminals point-of-view).
I've actually started watching The Wire recently myself. I'm only six episodes in, and I'm enjoying it so far, but I can't classify it as "groundbreaking" or "the greatest show ever" (as I've often seen it labeled as) or anything like that. At least so far. I'm going to stick with it though.

I remember giving The Wire a shot, but I gave up... Watched the whole first season or so, but honestly it wasn't anything special, at least to me. I liked The Sopranos much more.

While I like The Sopranos, Breaking Bad and possibly even Mad Men much more, despite the latter's... limitations (let's not talk about the TV series version of Brideshead Revisited or Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes now, okay?), The Wire is an absolutely stellar show, but - unfortunately - you'll probably fully appreciate it about the third season (which adds City Hall into the mix) at the earliest, which is admittedly somewhat late for most viewers.

If you already have invested some time into it, try getting to the end of the third season at least - this series is the kind you mostly "get" and like and revel in its brilliance only in hindsight. I cannot guarantee you'll actually like it, but unless you get through season 1-4, I believe you cannot possibly undestand why so many people think it's the "best show ever". (BTW, it isn't for me, but like I said, it's pretty great).

The point is - yes, the first season kinda reminds you of any other crime drama. Well, it might balance the POV between the police and the gangs a bit more equally, it might use more accurate (and less understandable) vernacular and much more characters (each with his own nickname, no less). But with more and more levels being thrown into the mix (the docks in S2, the City Hall in S3, the school system in S4 and the newspaper business in S5) you start to get this unbelievably detailed and complex portrayal of a large American city, quite unique in its scope and sociopolitical description (I have read somewhere that it's being used in universities in sociology classes, don't know if it's true, but I don't think it's that far-fetched). It's definitely not for everyone, in some ways it's not even for me all that much, but I really like, appreciate and respect it. But yeah, The Sopranos are the best. :ok:

BTW, yesterday I started watching The Knick with wifey... It's cool (and unexpectedly gory), though I admit that for once I would definitely appreciate the feeling any series is going to start with a morally despicable character and make him actually better in the process - learning his mistakes, changing his ways a bit - and ending on a higher note than it began. Like I said, most of my favourite series (Sops, BB, MM) follow the same pattern and I like them anyway, but it would be definitely refreshing.

1400x0w.jpg

2020 will be the year of trilogies completing. GI Joe, Guardians of the Galaxy, Spongebob, Fantastic Beasts, and now Sherlock Holmes all have the third films in their series scheduled for 2020.

Excellent. Fox is the fucking worst. All 3 shows of theirs I've been watching are either moving (B99), cancelled (TLMOE) or over (New Girl). Hopefully there won't be anything interesting on it anymore. NBC now has 3 great comedies (B99, Superstore and The Good Place).

Back