Bruce Dickinson

Bruce is a phenomenally interesting person. What we got was a moderately interesting book. It doesn't jive.
It's very Blue Peter(meaning PG).
He bounds off with derring-do through war torn Europe without a care for his safety to play his music for the kids, but what of his wife and family? Does he care? Do they give a damn? Is this the basis for separation? Some on here may know but most won't, like me after listening to the book.
It was a fun few hours but we only got half the man, the good side only.

It's very Blue Peter(meaning PG).
He bounds off with derring-do through war torn Europe without a care for his safety to play his music for the kids, but what of his wife and family? Does he care? Do they give a damn? Is this the basis for separation? Some on here may know but most won't, like me after listening to the book.
It was a fun few hours but we only got half the man, the good side only.

I'll fill you in the missing details: he does a fair bit of shagging and cheats on his wife, Jane, who also cheats on him (fair enough) - not any different to the other band members and management. Drugs are not interesting (same as Steve; the same cannot be said about the other band members). Bruce and Jane are married, but unhappy: she takes great pride of using Bruce's credit card to spend a huge amount of money paying drinks for everyone at a big party circa 1987. The divorce is inevitable; she gets the nice country house in Buckinghamshire and Bruce goes back to live in Chiswick.

Eventually he marries Paddy, whom she had met in the late 80s, and has 3 kids with her. He lives a happy family life in the suburbs in Chiswick and keeps his family life away from the public eye.

In the meantime, he entertains us with countless hours of great music.

The end.

Last edited:
I'll fill you in the missing details: he does a fair bit of shagging and cheats on his wife, Jane, who also cheats on him (fair enough) - not any different to the other band members and management. Drugs are not interesting (same as Steve; the same cannot be said about the other band members). Bruce and Jane are married, but unhappy: she takes great pride of using Bruce's credit card to spend a huge amount of money paying drinks for everyone at a big party around the Seventh Son era. The divorce is inevitable; she gets the nice country house in Buckinghamshire and Bruce goes back to live in Chiswick.

Eventually he marries Paddy, whom she had met in the late 80s, and has 3 kids with her. He lives a happy family life in the suburbs in Chiswick and keeps his family life away from the public eye.

In the meantime, he entertains us with countless hours of great music.

The end.
Wow. I'm shocked! Couldn't even tack this on as an end-note? Bad writing, Brucie. Bad writing.

See? His personal life is not that interesting. :)
Thanks for the info. I wasn't really interested in the details, just pointing out the holes in the story. More dirt would've balanced the thing.
I appreciate his singing, application of talent and politics but even golden boys have skeletons. They would've made it more interesting to me.

:funnypost:With all the things he claims to have done, it has always surprised me that such a musical genius hasn't met any kind of success after.

I have no doubt that Mick Wall's official Iron Maiden's hagiography is told from the perspective of Steve and Rod and some of those who were around in 1977 probably had something to do with the songs from that era (same as Steve not being the only writer of a few songs off TNOTB ), but their lack of creativity on a similar level after leaving the band speaks volumes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I wasn't really interested in the details, just pointing out the holes in the story. More dirt would've balanced the thing.
I appreciate his singing, application of talent and politics but even golden boys have skeletons. They would've made it more interesting to me.

I know what you mean, but by sharing all those things you are betraying other people's confidence, which is something Bruce did not want to do.

Fair enough. It would've been good to hear about his emotions on these subjects though. Remorse, regret, relief, happiness, sadness; the book lacked an insight into his feelings which is the only part of him that remains in the dark. I hoped the book would shine a light here. Nevermind.

But he could have been more personal about himself and describe his failures as well, especially his unhappiness in the latter part of the 90s — he was ‚miserable as sin‘ as he said in an interview. I’d want to read about his decisions etc. on a personal basis during that crisis, because they eventually led to success again.

He does touch upon that, albeit briefly, when discussing the demise of Skunkworks. He certainly does not dwell on the issue though and could have written more about it.

I have no doubt that Mick Wall's official Iron Maiden's hagiography is told from the perspective of Steve and Rod and some of those who were around in 1977 probably had something to do with the songs from that era (same as Steve not being the only writer of a few songs off TNOTB ), but their lack of creativity on a similar level after leaving the band speaks volumes.
I'm still interested what Bruce wrote on TNOTB.

So far I'm convinced that he wrote Prisoner's lyrics and RTTH's chorus melody.
I also suspect that the lyrics of Children Of The Damned were written by Bruce.

He had input on those 3 songs, which was comfirmed, but except for Prisoner's lyrics and drum intro, I don't know in what way.

I'm still interested what Bruce wrote on TNOTB.

So far I'm convinced that he wrote Prisoner's lyrics and RTTH's chorus melody.

I guess we will never get an official confirmation (although Rod mentioned in 12 Wasted Years Bruce as one of the co-writers of The Prisoner... Ooops! :lol: ), but I am convinced he definitely wrote the lyrics to The Prisoner (he is the only fan of the series) and he has also explained the Run to the Hills chorus melody in a way that only the person who wrote it would have done.

I also suspect that the lyrics of Children Of The Damned were written by Bruce.

Sounds plausible.

He had input on those 3 songs, which was comfirmed, but except for Prisoner's lyrics and drum intro, I don't know in what way.

He also had an input in Gangland. Lyrics, probably.

Paul Samson claims Bruce lifted some of the music for COTD from a song they had been writing.

Paul was always unable to prove this, but it could have been something they had been jamming to.

Guitar wise COTD is not that complicated so Bruce could have written parts of the music too.

Back