Bruce Dickinson

I have tried really hard to like the British Lion album but sadly find it incredibly underwhelming. By far the worst of the solo albums I own (all of Bruce's, all of Adrian's, several of Blaze's)/have listened to (some of Paul's, some of Dennis Stratton's, the other Blaze albums I do not own...). :(

It sounded like a great idea: Steve doing a 70s hard-rock inspired album. As a Michael Schenker era UFO/Wishbone Ash/Thin Lizzy fan I had high hopes. Sadly the outcome has been pretty lacklustre if you ask me.

Last edited:
I have tried really hard to like the British Lion album but sadly find it incredibly underwhelming. By far the worst of the solo albums I own (all of Bruce's, all of Adrian's, several of Blaze's)/have listened to (some of Paul's, some of Dennis Stratton's, the other Blaze albums I do not own...). :(
Dennis Wilcock really should release something to reset the scales! :D
As far as BL is concerned, I find that it has grown on me, I like it better than ASAP or PRR for example (but less than Psychomotel or anything Bruce has released) but 1. it is a bit like the IM albums sung by Blaze, when there is a lesser singer, the lot suffers, however sincere he is 2. if you are not into the likes of Thin Lizzy or UFO to begin with, there is nothing much to connect with on British Lion.

Last edited:
Dennis Wilcock really should release something to reset the scales! :D
As far as BL is concerned, I find that it has grown on me, I like it better than ASAP or PRR for example (but less than Psychomotel or anything Bruce has released)

I find Primal Rock Rebellion vastly superior. That one is a great album!

but 1. it is a bit like the IM albums sung by Blaze, when there is a lesser singer, the lot suffers 2. if you are not into the likes of Thin Lizzy or UFO to begin with, there is nothing much to connect with on British Lion.

The irony of it all is that I adore classic UFO (the run of albums from Phenomenon to Strangers in the Night is really great) and classic Thin Lizzy and find British Lion incredibly mediocre.

Had Steve not been involved in the release of the album, I think it would have probably been panned by the reviewers who found it OK.

That being said, I am pretty sure I would try again the next time British Lion announce any UK gigs to see if I finally get the urge to go and see them live.

I listened to BL album a couple of times when it came out and didn't dig it but live they were great. The energy and performances were great and everything sounded much better than on record. If Steve wasn't there I still would have enjoyed it and seeing him operate at close quarters is definitely worth the ticket price for a Maiden fan. I wouldn't hesitate to go see them again. So, @GhostofCain , do it!
Some guy brought a Steve signature model Precision to the signing after the gig. That's commitment. I was going to bring my copy of The Soundhouse Tapes but I couldn't find one of them bullet proof brief cases with the handcuffs attached that ye see in the movies.

Haven’t read it myself, but apparently Bruce said that the real problem in today‘s politics is a lack of ‚leaders‘, in an interview for a German magazine. :facepalm:

He did and has expressed his contempt in The Guardian in the past too. His point revolved around the short-termism of many political leaders nowadays, more focused on securing a seat in parliament than in anything else. I humbly think he does have a point...

He implies that somewhere, sometime, average politician wanted to realize his vision of society in contrast to today's career politicians.
I don't think I can agree with that.

Edit : unless we go back to Greek polis and stuff.

::) OK, can we just state that all Maiden members are Nazis now to avoid having to get worked up anew every time?

He did and has expressed his contempt in The Guardian in the past too. His point revolved around the short-termism of many political leaders nowadays, more focused on securing a seat in parliament than in anything else. I humbly think he does have a point...

Nowadays is the issue I'm having with this. I think that, in modern times, politicians that are willing to throw their career down the drain, in order to remain true to what they preach, are virtually non-existent.

Nowadays is the issue I'm having with this. I think that, in modern times, politicians that are willing to throw their career down the drain, in order to remain true to what they preach, are virtually non-existent.

I guess that is exactly the point Bruce is trying to make. That and a dislike of unelected bureaucrats running the show.

The original Iron Maiden logo consists of 3 colours: red, black and white. Same as the Nazi flag. Coincidence? I think not.
The original Iron Maiden logo consists of 1 colour: black.
ML3rnq4Q2qQ4bSp7yz2wMvu-D5UkLrpaRbndhmwOFJw.jpg

But I see your point, and black isn't free of suspicion either, is it. Fucking Nazi punks.

Back