Bruce Dickinson - What Does This Button Do?

Read 2/3 ofitt (now in 1997 time-wise) It reads very easily. Songs wise: There is almost nothing about writing TNOTB, while there is a lot about writing songs for POM. He points out the tempo issue in FOI (he stated to Stevet, that it wasnt to make song more commercial, but he insists he lied) and I got the feeling that we won't see it again on stage by Maiden. He also regeards SSOASS as one of the best Maiden album, but he is dissappointed that they hadn't made it more conceptual.

Finished reading it today. Thoroughly enjoyable, with lots of funny anecdotes and witty remarks. It would have been nice to get more information on the songwriting, but most of the readership would not be nerds like us. :lol:

Time to revisit the autobiography with the audiobook next.

Read 2/3 ofitt (now in 1997 time-wise) It reads very easily. Songs wise: There is almost nothing about writing TNOTB, while there is a lot about writing songs for POM.

True, but reading between the lines on page 98 it is not hard to imagine who was co-responsible for honing those choruses (after getting his cunt kit :lol: ).

Finally finished reading the final couple of chapters this evening. A real enjoyable read. As a Maiden fan I could have done with a bit more "nerd" info around albums etc. but can I accept Bruce's reasons for leaving it out.

There was obviously very little "dirty laundry" aired but still more than I expected, with one particular comparison especially potentially controversial!

There was obviously very little "dirty laundry" aired but still more than I expected, with one particular comparison especially potentially controversial!

Are you thinking about the one on the pope and his infalibility?

Just bought the book. On the jacket it states that Bruce has been the singer of Iron Maiden for 'over 30 years.'
81-93 = 12
99-17 = 18
Thats 30 by my reckoning.
Am I being picky or is the Blaze era being glossed over once again?
I think you do not calculate well. E.g., if you read a book, and you start at page 4 and you finish reading page 112, then you have read: 112-4 = 108 pages plus 1 page, namely page 4 itself = 109 pages. Do not only calculate the differences between the years, also count all the years that are part of the period.

Admittedly, Bruce wasn't in the band for the whole of 1981, nor for the whole of 1993. Bruce was four months in Maiden in 1981 and eight months in 1993: that's one year in total: so 81-93 = 12 (1982-1992 were 11 whole years, and 1981 and 1993 were one year together).

Bruce returned in Maiden in either January or February 1999 (the talks were in January, not sure anymore when it was official), but in both cases the 1999 period can be seen as "around a year" and the 2017 as "around three quarters of year".
I'd say 1999 and 2017 are between one and a half and two years. Add up the seventeen whole years (2000-2016) and you get: over 18 and a half years.
12 + over 18 and a half = over 30 (and a half) years.

Last edited:
Are you thinking about the one on the pope and his infalibility?

Yep.

The only way I think Bruce can get away with making that comment now, is if he has already let that band/Steve know that that was what his feelings were at the time.

Finally finished the book and wanted to rise from the dead to toss in a few cents.

- Skunkworks is my favorite album so I'm so happy he still views it fondly. Usually artists judge their works by their reception. I also did not know BTATS was a reworking of Strange Death. Very cool.
- I was so baffled by why he never mentioned Jane, Paddy, Austin, Griffin, or Kia yet he spent a good few paragraphs detailing a story about retrieving a turd from his ass. Glad he cleared it up at the end there but I would've liked more personal stories.
- I got the distinct impression he prefers aviation to music.
- Loved the detail he went into about the way his vocals changed from Samson to Maiden. Kinda weird that he didn't bring it up when his voice went to shit.
- LOL @ the reason Steve's lyrics are so awkward to sing being that he whistles vocal melodies. Suddenly the Kwisatz Haderach line doesn't sound like he was fucking with Bruce.
- I was surprised he left out most drama. Donington was but a footnote with no mention of GN'R, nothing about Sharon Osbourne, nothing about Motley Crue.

I was so baffled by why he never mentioned Jane, Paddy, Austin, Griffin, or Kia yet he spent a good few paragraphs detailing a story about retrieving a turd from his ass. Glad he cleared it up at the end there but I would've liked more personal stories.
I believe Bruce has said that those sort of stories are left out "to protect the privacy of people whose book it was not" or words to that effect. One I would have liked though is the full story of his first meeting with Janick - I don't see why that couldn't have been included. He's told bits of it at various times all over the place.

Back