Bruce Dickinson - What Does This Button Do?

Aye certainly not judgin the man but theres a definite lean towards the planes in the 2nd half (Im at AMOLAD). I find it less enjoyable as a result. Still a good read, though

I believe Bruce has said that those sort of stories are left out "to protect the privacy of people whose book it was not" or words to that effect. One I would have liked though is the full story of his first meeting with Janick - I don't see why that couldn't have been included. He's told bits of it at various times all over the place.

Exactly. He did not want to betray the confidence of other people whose book this was not.

That being said, the dedication of the book lets us know clearly who are the most important people in his life.

Aye certainly not judgin the man but theres a definite lean towards the planes in the 2nd half (Im at AMOLAD). I find it less enjoyable as a result. Still a good read, though

I would not say that he prefers planes to music, the same way as I would not have said he preferred fencing to music in the 80s. However, he tends to be quite enthusiastic about his first experiences and has said he wanted to reflect this. That is probably the reason why there is a lean towards the planes from 1994 onwards.

Huh! @Kill Devil Hill is back! Welcome back, it must have been years.:hello:

Glad I'm not yet forgotten! Thanks. :)

I know why Bruce left out private details but I don't consider, for example, "I got married and then blah blah flight shit blah," or "Laughing in the Hiding Bush was inspired by my toddler's babbling" intensely private. I think he doesn't trust his capacity to make that sort of judgment call so he just left everything out.

Mind you I just read Bruce Springsteen's book so it's probably louder to me since Boss man included baby pictures of his kids.

I do respect the privacy thing but I wish it was said at the beginning instead of end because by Balls to Picasso I was like, "I swear he's been married twice and on his third kid right now."

I do think he prefers aviation to music though because he's been flying for years and he acts like it's brand new. And the way he phrases things it's like Iron Maiden is interfering with his piloting. Which is hilarious to think about.

I do think he prefers aviation to music though because he's been flying for years and he acts like it's brand new. And the way he phrases things it's like Iron Maiden is interfering with his piloting. Which is hilarious to think about.
I think Bruce is a pilot who is also a hell of a singer, not the other way around. And that's okay too. He obviously enjoys what he does, both careers (of his many careers), not least because being the singer for a huge rock band has enabled his other passions. It's a nice reminder to all of us that what we do in our lives may or may not be as impactful, but even our idols just have jobs. Maybe not Steve, but I think that's OK too.

It also suits his personality more, I think. Going by his own description, it seems Bruce's rock act is just that - an act - and he is happiest maybe not engaging with 20,000 people.

- I got the distinct impression he prefers aviation to music.
I'm only about halfway through but I get this too. The trajectory of his story so far seems to be going toward the slow discovery of aviation as his true calling. There are hints of it throughout his life but it takes awhile for him to get there.

In interviews there’s a passion for flying that isn’t there when he’s talking about music. Also not to mention all those songs he’s written about flying.

That being said, it seems pretty obvious that Bruce likes to have multiple things going on at once, so I’m not worried about him going the Chris DeGarmo route and quitting music altogether for airplanes.

(Wb btw)

I'm only about halfway through but I get this too. The trajectory of his story so far seems to be going toward the slow discovery of aviation as his true calling. There are hints of it throughout his life but it takes awhile for him to get there.

In interviews there’s a passion for flying that isn’t there when he’s talking about music. Also not to mention all those songs he’s written about flying.

That being said, it seems pretty obvious that Bruce likes to have multiple things going on at once, so I’m not worried about him going the Chris DeGarmo route and quitting music altogether for airplanes.

(Wb btw)

The passion for the music is certainly there as showcased in this interview from last week:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/popup/audio/listen.html?autoPlay=true&mediaIds=1089454659603

Last edited:
Never said there was no passion, but it's not at the level as when he's talking about flying.

Yeah, but Steve loves it. It's not a job for him. That's why he keeps doing shit that he shouldn't do. Like produce or edit videos.

Sure it ain't but he got a job anyway.
should've inserted a bloody ninja in my previous post, I knew it

This reminds me of the time I nearly saw a Maiden guitar jam. Steves amp blew during a song and Bruce asked the guys if they would jam to fill the time. Someone played a tentative note and all 3 took a step towards eachother. Then our protagonist calls it to a halt and proceeds to slap his face. Something a little different, sure, but I cant help but mourn what might have been.

Back