DIO

Judging by various comment threads around the net, there are people who want to see this. How many they are, I don't know. The majority of comments are negative, but as it's the internet, that isn't saying anything. We'll have to wait until the tour is over and the numbers are out.
Zombie worshipers, by and large. Hope there's not too many of them. Bet most are Illuminati as well. :hello:

So... Dio returns... is what they want you to say.
Here is the most spot-on commentary that I've seen about this on the web so far: https://www.wwtdd.com/2017/07/dead-ronnie-james-dio-hitting-the-road. Key quote: "Be tempted to consider this the worst thing you've ever seen. Or mention the amazing technology to remind people you have no human center."

I heard an Eddie Trunk interview with the guy responsible for the hologram tech. They aren't even using live video footage; RJD is fully and artificially animated. I can see an argument why this is a way to "honor Ronnie's memory," but I can also see the argument that it's a cynical cash grab. I think it's creepy. Evidently Wendy Dio is on board with this. I hope my wife honors me better than this, if I were to kick the can.

Judging by various comment threads around the net, there are people who want to see this. How many they are, I don't know.

Looks like they've booked some dates in Europe at venues with capacity in the 800-1000 range, so they're not shooting huge. I can see them doing reasonable business in those rooms, but I think they'd have a hard time filling 2,000 capacity theaters.

I heard an Eddie Trunk interview with the guy responsible for the hologram tech. They aren't even using live video footage; RJD is fully and artificially animated. I can see an argument why this is a way to "honor Ronnie's memory," but I can also see the argument that it's a cynical cash grab. I think it's creepy. Evidently Wendy Dio is on board with this. I hope my wife honors me better than this, if I were to kick the can.
They had the hologram Michael Jackson in Vegas, if you recall, at the Mandalay Bay. It certainly seemed cynical there. I'm really just not sure...the technology is interesting. But as much as I love Dio, I also want someone new to come along and make their own music, and be alive to appreciate the cheers and the money.

Yeah. I think that's it. Dio was amazing. Let's let someone else be amazing.

The first was the hologram Tupac, IIRC. And yes, I think it's fair to say the hologram Michael Jackson in Vegas -- like pretty much EVERYTHING in Vegas -- is a cynical cash grab too. But showing old footage is one thing; this is another.

Seen an advert for a date in London which also states that Ripper Owens will be making an appearance, so assume that means the hologram won't be singing all the songs.

That song sounds like that one Megadeth song where they just name their song titles. I'm not actually listening to the song, I'm just listening for the song titles.

The career of Tim Owens:

1. Replaces Halford in Priest, is replaced by Halford.
2. Replaces Barlow in IE, gets replaced by Barlow even though he's a policeman.
3. Replaces RJD in Dio, gets replaced by RJD even though he's dead.

Kinda makes you wonder if he can still top this.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Nope, it's a perfect comedy three-beat. The only way for it to get even funnier is if Ripper Owens starts a solo band literally called "Ripper Owens", but then his band mates kick him out in favor of Halford, Barlow, and Dio's hologram - all 3 singing onstage under a banner that says "Ripper Owens" while Ripper himself angrily sips a rum and coke in the wings.

This is the best Dio tribute song IMO:

Nah.

THIS is the best tribute to DIO, by RJD himself.

Just check those lyrics ;)

My eyes can see inside tomorrow
My eyes can get next to you
Time flies on wings that just get stronger
My eyes are true

My eyes could see the body shakin'
My eyes were clear and bright
Goodbyes are easy to remember
You can see the hurt still there in my eyes

I've fallen off the edge of the world
I've fallen from the top of the mountain
Just to rise again

I've seen it from heaven and hell
I've seen it from the eyes of a stargazer

I want to be invisible
Just get me out of here
Could the dreamer be turning to stone, oh

Rock and roll eyes
The color of rainbows - believer of lies
Rock and roll eyes, yeah

Don't want to see the end of it all
Just get me outta here
Just get me outta here
Just get me outta here

Rock and roll eyes
The keeper of rainbows
Collector of lies
Rock and roll eyes
My eyes

Rock and roll eyes
Tell rock and roll lies
And rock and roll lies
Never end

Rock and roll friends
With rock and roll trends
And rock and roll ends
With my eyes

Here is an excellent interview with Vinnie Appice, covering his entire career, from John Lennon to Sabbath to Dio and beyond.

Vinnie even gives his email address. Enjoy! :)

OK Dio impression, blasphemic drumming. One of rare times I can say that Lars would do a better job at drumming than someone.

Back