NOW WATCHING

Yeah. I mean, our movies aren't really well-known abroad and it angers me that the most well-known one is called "A Serbian Film" and it's about pedophiles and rape and stuff.

Yeah i'll admit that its the only one I know but i'm not that naiive to think that its an indication of Serbian film as a whole :) my step-mum who was originally from Yugoslavia had the same mentality

I've heard about that one. Googled it and found "A Serbian Film is a masterpiece if you can stomach gore. It passes a stark message. Avoid all ratings and do watch it!" But yeah, I saw the pictures and I don't plan on watching it.

Just watched Alien Covenant again. Thought it was okay at the cinema, but in truth it has all the annoying faults of Prometheus. Then watch Alien 3, which I hadn't seen in years. Despite it being widely panned it's probably a better, tighter, more cohesive film than either of the newer ones.

Last edited:
it - Annabelle Creation was the scarier film bit it was much better on story and writing. Like Bill Skarsgard in Hemlock Grove but this is where he can really let loose. Looking forward to sequel.

American Assassin - better than I thought it would be. Having read all the books in the series, I was concerned about Michael Keaton playing Stan Hurley (who i always pictured as being a large guy), but as usual, Keaton did not disappoint. Dylan O'Brien is who plays Mitch was better and more intense than expected as well.

mother! - wtf did I just watch?! That last half hour was pure insanity! I knew most of it was symbolic but of what I wasn't sure. If I had stayed to read the cast characters' "names", then I might have figured it out. Had to go online to read the filmmakers' explanation. Makes more sense now but the third act was still madness. Don't know if i like it or not...

mother! - wtf did I just watch?! That last half hour was pure insanity! I knew most of it was symbolic but of what I wasn't sure. If I had stayed to read the cast characters' "names", then I might have figured it out. Had to go online to read the filmmakers' explanation. Makes more sense now but the third act was still madness. Don't know if i like it or not...
mother! is really...really fucked up. It's an amazingly shot film that is absolutely ridiculous. I get what Aronofsky and Lawrence were trying to do, and maybe the election of a certain Trump has pushed them towards a greater desperation, but allegory has no meaning if it is completely undecipherable by the average person.

mother! is really...really fucked up. It's an amazingly shot film that is absolutely ridiculous. I get what Aronofsky and Lawrence were trying to do, and maybe the election of a certain Trump has pushed them towards a greater desperation, but allegory has no meaning if it is completely undecipherable by the average person.
My wife's take on it, a couple of hours after coming out of the theatre:

I just saw Darren Aronofsky's recent film "mother!" It was a harrowing, almost visceral, experience. I really don't know if I loved it or hated it, but it made me cry and dizzy, and I was nailed to my seat and couldn't keep my teary eyes off the screen. What was it about? Well, what was it NOT about?, I could ask back.... It is a kind of film you cannot take literally. It makes it ridiculous if you do. It is one big metaphor. It is a kind of film you can interpret in thousands different ways. Actually, you can interpret it in ANY way you want. Is it about creativity and creation? Or about losing control of your life? Or about privacy? Or perhaps about religion and cults? Or maybe about climate and nature and the Earth? I guess it is about it all and much more. And tomorrow, while I will keep thinking about this film, I will come up with a couple of more meanings.

Just got back from seeing 'It'... was better than I expected but not enough of Pennywise for me! Bill Skarsgard was awesome

I really enjoyed the film. I wasn't scared, but I was thoroughly entertained and had a lot of fun with it. Pennywise was done really well, and I'm glad they used him so sparingly, and let the rest of the story unfold itself. Really well written and executed, much, much better than you'd think.

Last night saw Breach starring Chris Cooper, Ryan Phillippe, Laura Linney, Caroline Dhavernas (from the TV show Hannibal) & Dennis Haybert. Made 10 years ago about America's worst traitor Robert Hanssen. He was an FBI agent who for 22 years sold the Russians secrets. In this film, Cooper reminds me a lot of the boss I had for a decade who finally retired. Good film.

Back