Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the one, might've been Eddie Trunk. Will look when I'm home.

I missed the DOD tour and they did not add Paschendale until the Texas shows after I saw them in Florida during TFF tour. I was pissed... Paschendale was the best song I think they've done since the reunion... To me, it's like missing Caught Somewhere in Time but I wasn't alive then so......
Paschendale, DOD and WTWWB would be welcome staples instead of
I think the interview is the one where Nicko said he thought it would have been cool to do songs they haven't done live, and Dave responded "but we would have to relearn all those songs then".
If that's true then I think fans have every right to be frustrated with set lists. Is it too much to ask Davey to spend a few hours on the beech in Barbados to dust off a few tracks. I just want the band to finish strongly. Either new material or challenge themselves but playing some different old or recent tracks. I worry the next tour will be made up of a compilation of staple set list tracks of recent years.

Do you have a link to the interview? Thanks in advance.

I thought it was this one but I can't find the clip. There is some interesting setlist discussion at around the 30 minute mark though. I'll keep looking.

If that's true then I think fans have every right to be frustrated with set lists. Is it too much to ask Davey to spend a few hours on the beech in Barbados to dust off a few tracks. I just want the band to finish strongly. Either new material or challenge themselves but playing some different old or recent tracks. I worry the next tour will be made up of a compilation of staple set list tracks of recent years.

I haven't seen the interview in question, but how it's reported in this thread makes it seem to me that Dave was having a joke, I wouldn't take it too seriously.

I thought it was this one but I can't find the clip. There is some interesting setlist discussion at around the 30 minute mark though. I'll keep looking.

Thanks. I listened to that interview as soon as it was originally uploaded and do not remember any mention to not wanting to re-learn songs, but would be interested to read/hear any other interview where this might have been mentioned.

^ I actually asked Nicko back in December 2016 why the band ignore Somewhere in Time songs.... He told me there was no real reason he is aware of but said it's one of his favorite albums and said most everyone likes it but they weren't too pleased how it turned out live. I can understand this after watching bootlegs.... Definitely an album that was hard to pull live kinda like Def Leppard's Hysteria.... Over processed in the studio, phenomenal album but live it was tough. They really needed 3 guitars live for that album and they have them now so I guess I'm not sure of the hesitation unless the statements in prior posts are true... the band doesn't want to go back and deal with those songs... However, their new material, as most will agree, is WAY more complex than prior albums by miles!

If they toss SIT to the grave, it'll sadden me but fine.

Please play something like To Tame a Land or Still Life.... maybe 22 Acacia Avenue one more time... c'mon mates.... stop reading Loudwire columns and read this forum lol

413547036.jpg

If more SIT songs were going to happen, it probably would have been on the Somewhere Back In Time tour. I wouldn't be surprised if they discussed having Caught Somewhere In Time for the encore because that would have made more sense instead of Moonchild.

If more SIT songs were going to happen, it probably would have been on the Somewhere Back In Time tour. I wouldn't be surprised if they discussed having Caught Somewhere In Time for the encore because that would have made more sense instead of Moonchild.
I think part of the reason Moonchild made an appearance is that originally the plan was to release Maiden England at the end of the SBIT tour- it was only after they realized how well the tour did that they decided to add an actual Maiden England tour. It's a shame they didn't plan it this way from the beginning, because that would have left room for more SIT and Piece of Mind tunes in 2008-09!

The reason for set list choices comes down to three simple things:

1) songs they like
2) songs they know how to play or are not too troublesome to relearn
3) songs that Bruce can sing well

I know we all like to speculate as to why they choose or don't choose to play certain songs but in the end it's all rather simple why we get the set lists we do.

All the players in Maiden are skilled musicians so if they really wanted to they could easily re learn any song from their catalogue that they haven't played in a while but it comes down to laziness, songs they already know will get the crowd going plus how it would sound live with Bruce's voice and that's it.

When they pretty much sell out every venue they play at these days why put loads of effort in re learning a song that hadn't been played in yonks if not at all as likely most of the crowd are probably casuals anyway and want the regular tunes and even the hardcore moaning about same old set lists are still there having bought a ticket anyway. Plus they play a ton of new stuff from the latest album which they say appeases the hardcore as its all new live stuff but at the same time it's easy for them to play anything off the latest album as they've just spent months recording it so it's all fresh and easy to play.

All the players in Maiden are skilled musicians so if they really wanted to they could easily re learn any song from their catalogue that they haven't played in a while but it comes down to laziness, songs they already know will get the crowd going plus how it would sound live with Bruce's voice and that's it.

From 1999 to 2017 there are a significant number of songs they had not played in a while that were played. In some cases "in a while" was 7 years (e.g. Children of the Damned and Powerslave on the TBOS tour), in others it was much longer than that.

At the end of the day, people will find a reason to moan whatever they do.

The reason for set list choices comes down to three simple things:

1) songs they like
2) songs they know how to play or are not too troublesome to relearn
3) songs that Bruce can sing well

I know we all like to speculate as to why they choose or don't choose to play certain songs but in the end it's all rather simple why we get the set lists we do.

When they pretty much sell out every venue they play at these days why put loads of effort in re learning a song that hadn't been played in yonks if not at all as likely most of the crowd are probably casuals anyway and want the regular tunes and even the hardcore moaning about same old set lists are still there having bought a ticket anyway. Plus they play a ton of new stuff from the latest album which they say appeases the hardcore as its all new live stuff but at the same time it's easy for them to play anything off the latest album as they've just spent months recording it so it's all fresh and easy to play.

I think the only real way that deep/never-been-played-before cuts will ever make it into the setlist is if Steve has a sudden urge to cross something off of his 'artistic bucket list' or if Rod has an idea to monetize it.

With 16 albums, the propensity to push the new material, and having at least a dozen (if not more) songs that are/have been considered 'classics' at some point, there is really no set list real estate to put in something like 'Sun and Steel' or 'Run Silent, Run Deep'. I still hold out hope that Rod will push for a 'rarities' concert to push some DVD sales near the end of the band's final run.

Interesting, bit tricky as Kevin is keeping his cards close to his chest, or possibly dates haven’t been totally set in stone yet (no doubt KS has some projects to wrap up before he’d be available to work in a Maiden record which is gonna take up anywhere from 3-5 months to do)

Looks like there's potential for them to be getting into the studio in the next few months or possibly early next year.

Looking at recording/release times for the last few albums I think a Aug/Sep release looks likely.

TBOS
Recorded: Sep ’14 - Dec ’14, some finishing touches early ’15 (Jan?)
Released: Sep ’15 (apparently would have been released earlier in the year if it hadn't been for Bruce's cancer)

TFF
Recorded: Jan-March ’10
Released: August ’10

AMOLAD
Recorded: Early ’06
Released: August ’06

DOD
Recorded: Jan ’03-April ’03
Released: Sep ’03

So even if they’re not getting into the studio until early next year they’ve got pretty good at getting everything prepped for a release within 5 months or so.

Kevin Shirley on Eddie Trunk 9/21/17- talks a bit about the new live album, and...

"I think we've got some- we may have some studio work planned in the future..."

Great to hear! Thanks for the link.

On a related note, I bet Rod does not let him spill the beans, hence him not being so vocal about working with the band in recent times as when he was allowed to publish studio diaties. :)

It's kind of telling of Maiden's recent policy that I keep thinking that 2018 is very early for a new album, and then realise it's still 3 years after TBOS.

I'm 99,999% that Maiden will tour Europe in summer 2018. Solo tour or package (Judas Priest+Anthrax) tour. That's all.
One more thing...Judas Priest was just announced for Bloodstock 2018 festival in UK. So, that means Judas Priest will tour in summer 2018.

I'm betting on an early 2018 recording session, summer "hits" tour with one new track, and an album release around August 2018... though the eternal optimist in me hopes it's a winter 2017 recording session, late spring 2018 release and a full-fledged new album tour in summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back