Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

Right. Killers is terrible. Dream of Mirrors is literally better than all but maybe 1 song from Killers.

I gotta side with Diesel on this one. I don't know if it's the worst song in Maiden's discography, but there's an argument to be made... In fact, these days I skip it almost every time I listen to the album. There's very few Maiden songs I can say that about.

Killers, as a whole, is extremely underrated.

Lot of hate for Dream of Mirrors here!
Good. This song deserves it. The fact that it placed so highly in the official rankings is a complete joke.

To sum up my thoughts - BNW is a good album, just not by Maiden standards. Dream of Mirrors is the worst song in Maiden's discography IMO other than The Educated Fool. The chorus, however, is one of the best of the reunion era and is what makes DOM nonskippable.

And now, risking of course what I've said on BNW and DOM to not be taken seriously - I still can't believe that one could listen to Dream of Mirrors and go, "THIS IS SO AWESOME!!" and then listen to The Apparition and go, "This song needs to die." Makes no sense and I'm still waiting for an explanation on why one is enjoyed and the other is hated. :huh:

Other than the title track, Dream of Mirrors is the best song on BNW. It's in my top 25.

And now, risking of course what I've said on BNW and DOM to not be taken seriously - I still can't believe that one could listen to Dream of Mirrors and go, "THIS IS SO AWESOME!!" and then listen to The Apparition and go, "This song needs to die." Makes no sense and I'm still waiting for an explanation on why one is enjoyed and the other is hated. :huh:

I'd say Dream of Mirrors ≈ The Apparition. Both are firmly among the bottom 10 Maiden songs.

Alright, here's my breakdown of Dream of Mirrors part by part:

Opening: It's okay, but the lyrics are dumb.
First Verse: Eh.
Dream is true: This is why I dislike the song.
Next Verse: Eh.
Heavier pre-chorus: A little better.
Chorus: This is amazing. Heart starts pounding, beautiful, 10/10.
Dream is true: No.
Next Verse: Eh.
Heavier pre-chorus: A little better.
Chorus: Fuck yeah.
Dream is true: Fuck no.
Tempo change: ...Eh.
Faster chorus: I SAID GO BACK
OooooooooOOOOOOOooooooOOOOO: Eh.
Solo: Eh.
OooooooooOOOOOOOooooooOOOOO: Eh.
Chorus: YES YES!
Dream is true: You're not ending on this, are you? Fucking hell.
Ending: Eh.

Lyrics: Eh.
Guitar: Overall fairly good, particularly in the chorus.
Vocals: Same as guitar.

Overall: This song highlights why there are no bad songs in Maiden's discography. I wouldn't skip a single one, but by Maiden standards, everything except the chorus in Dream of Mirrors really mediocre.

Which is the opposite of my least favorite song, The Educated Fool - everything is alright until you get to the chorus, which is shit.

Not a fan of the intro. Main part is awesome. The drum dynamic is very interesting. But with faster part we go into predictable territory. It reminds me of a dozen Maiden songs, but the transition and the 'flavour' of the fast riff itself is Fortunes of War.

Only thing I don't like about Dream of Mirrors is the double time chorus at the end. Always felt kinda awkward IMO. Rest of the song is fantastic.

Dream of Mirrors is great, a highlight of BNW and a worthy sequel to my all time favourite Maiden track, Infinate Dreams.
Would you still think that if I told you that Blaze was involved in the writing of it? After all, you wrote that any songs from his time in the band were "substandard whoever sang them, let's be honest". :D

Anyway, a thing that annoys me: Blaze wasn't credited on Brave New World.

Last edited:
Only thing I don't like about Dream of Mirrors is the double time chorus at the end. Always felt kinda awkward IMO. Rest of the song is fantastic.
I always felt like that bit was sort of VXI-ish, and not in a good way. I can't remember if they even did that on VXI but for some reason it feels like it'd fit that era of Maiden songwriting far better.

Overall I kinda feel like the 90s leftovers on BNW were probably some of its weaker tracks though. They're fine, but they just don't feel up to par with the rest of the material. Blood Brothers maybe gets the closest, but even that feels a bit too repetitive for its own good. The Nomad I would probably consider even closer to the new tracks in quality but the amazing middle section is a Beckett rip-off so it completely loses its luster for me. The Mercenary is a total throwaway track though, I genuinely don't understand why it was even included, let alone played live.

Can't really call it an 'annoyance' but kinda wish Adrian (and Dave to a lesser extent) would move around onstage a little more. At least Dave smiles and looks like he's enjoying himself at times. Adrian...stands still and stone-faced most of the time. Gawd, dude, I'd give my left nut to do what you do for a living...look alive, mate!

Back