Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

sorry for my english
I do not like any post reunion album production :( In fact, any album after 7Son. I love Maiden, but nonetheless. A bit schizophrenic, i know. Book of Souls sounds fine to me with headphones, but on the standard stereo system, i feel like band is playing in other room. I do not like dry and sharp guitar sound (hard to explain) Maybe problem is 'live recording' thing. Classic albums were POLISHED. Every album had clearly expressed different 'sound theme'.
Maybe band changed songwriting style, i like guitar riffs based playing the most. And i am one of those who says that Bruce's AOB and CW are best Maiden albums after 7Son. I do not like Shirley's production type. Give me Roy Z :) Sounds harsh and ignorant, but despite that Maiden remains my favorite band. So huge is the group's legacy..
Book of Souls to me is best reunion album.
Minor: i want more setlist rotation (like Metallica does)
For Steve: please write not general, somewhat abstract lyrics, but tell stories (Number, Hallowed, Trooper, Where Eagles, Aces, Ancient Mariner, Alexander, 7Son, etc.)
I do not have the purpose to offend anyone, that's just my feelings.

Last edited:
sorry for my english
I do not like any post reunion album production :( In fact, any album after 7Son. I love Maiden, but nonetheless. A bit schizophrenic, i know. Book of Souls sounds fine to me with headphones, but on the standard stereo system, i feel like band is playing in other room. I do not like dry and sharp guitar sound (hard to explain) Maybe problem is 'live recording' thing. Classic albums were POLISHED. Every album had clearly expressed different 'sound theme'.
Maybe band changed songwriting style, i like guitar riffs based playing the most. And i am one of those who says that Bruce's AOB and CW are best Maiden albums after 7Son. I do not like Shirley's production type. Give me Roy Z :) Sounds harsh and ignorant, but despite that Maiden remains my favorite band. So huge is the group's legacy..
For Steve: please write not general, somewhat abstract lyrics, but tell stories (Number, Hallowed, Trooper, Where Eagles, Aces, Ancient Mariner, Alexander, 7Son, etc.)

I agree!

sorry for my english

I think Dance of Death and The Final Frontier sound good from a production standpoint. AMoLaD and TBoS, on the other hand, are way too "muddy" sounding for me. But yeah, none of the reunion albums have that 80s polish. I just accept it for what it is. Can't change it.

The reunion era live albums sound really good, though, I think.

I agree about the four most recent records being muddy depending on the sound system, but surely Brave New World is one of the most polished sounding in the whole discography.

I agree about the four most recent records being muddy depending on the sound system, but surely Brave New World is one of the most polished sounding in the whole discography.
Didn't save it from being a weak album though. :ninja:

Regarding the muddiness, yes, compared to something like Powerslave or Somewhere In Time, two albums where production is one of the main reasons they're so good, Shirley's stuff doesn't hold a candle. But Maiden is a completely different beast than they were back in the '80s, they wrote an 18 minute epic about a zeppelin on piano, for goodness sakes. The muddiness isn't something I'm enamored with, but I doubt they'll be going back to cleaner production anytime soon. And give TBOS another listen, specifically for the muddiness. It works. I couldn't imagine those songs any other way.

I see in it that it was the album my father played to me and - via Rio - hooked me on Maiden (another one would be FOTD, which is much less acceptable choice, at least here on the forum).

Plus, don't forget it was the first "BRUCIE RETURNS" album.

I agree it's not one of my favourites, but I'm completely crazy about Navigator, Mirrors and Thin Line, I have a soft spot for Silent Planet and Blood Brothers might be overplayed and simplistic, but I can't help but to like it.

I see in it that it was the album my father played to me and - via Rio - hooked me on Maiden
This I can understand. Nostalgia and whatnot is most likely part of the reason Run To The Hills is one of my all-time favorites.
(another one would be FOTD, which is much less acceptable choice, at least here on the forum).
Which is weird because it's a great album.
Plus, don't forget it was the first "BRUCIE RETURNS" album.
Yep, but just because he returned doesn't mean the album was going to be great. This is part of the reason why I think BNW is overrated.
I'm completely crazy about Navigator
A song that lures you into thinking it's good, and then... eh. Pass.
The worst song in Maiden's discography (other than The Educated Fool), except for the chorus which is amazing. Keep the chorus, pass on the rest of the song.
Thin Line
Good song. Keep.
Silent Planet
Good song. Keep.
and Blood Brothers might be overplayed and simplistic, but I can't help but to like it.
Good song. Keep.

For me, its all the great songs, plain and simple.
In a return to topic; it might annoy me that Maiden are doing t shirts through major high street shops. I was at a festival a couple of weeks ago and I walked past two girls (on seperate occasions) wearing Maiden t shirts. I congratulated them on their choice of band and both looked at me like I had 10 heads.

Back