Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

Foro, just to highlight your mistake, the turd that is Age of Innocence can not have the same rating as Book of Souls, Rainmaker et al.

Glad to be of service.;)

I rate it lower than these two songs. But however much Book of Souls was one of the highlights of the set, it is an overrated track with too much copy pasting from Losfer Words/Montsegur. Glad to be of service!

Just checked my ratings, by song rating average, Jan is my least favorite Reunion songwriter among the guitarists by a wide margin.

Adrian: 7.52
Dave: 7.25
Janick: 6.76

In terms of 10s, Janick beats out Dave 2-1, but Adrian has a whopping 6.

Just like the other amigos, this mister gets two 10's from me as well: Brighter Than a Thousand Suns & Isle of Avalon.

I never had the patience to actually assign numbers to all individual songs and keep some kind of consistency in it, so I won't be making a fool of myself in that regard...

But purely hypothetically, if we count Navigator as a Janick song (and I don't see why we couldn't), Janick has written my favourite track off every album since TXF (The Unbeliever - Amigos - Navigator - DOD - Legacy - Talisman - TBOS/possibly even SOTV nowadays). That's what counts, in my book. I might like Breeg and Rainmaker (and even Innocence!) very much, but it's been also over ten years now.

At the moment, The Man of Sorrows could be the best song from the last 6 albums (VXI-TBOS). The one but best Dave Murray (co-)penned track ever.
Janick has written my favourite track off every album since TXF (The Unbeliever
Yes!! :notworthy:
No. When Lightning Strikes Twice.
Navigator
Almost. I rate Brave New World just a little higher but the difference is minimal. About the same, I'd say.
Yes!
No. Thousand Suns for me.
Hell no.
TBOS/possibly even SOTV nowadays
See above.

Mwah. Six songs on the last three albums. Two songs per 4 or 5 years (over the last twelve years: 2004-2015).

No Prayer: 0
Fear: 5
TXF: 7
VXI: 1
BNW: 4
DOD: 3
AMOLAD: 2
TFF: 2
BOS: 2

He still didn't write more in the reunion era (5 albums) than in the nineties (4 albums): both 13 songs each.
Actually, it is 1 for NPFTD, and Maiden's only number one single to boot. They just bought him out.

In addition to the great songs Janick wrote on the albums, he also co-wrote I Live My Way and Judgement Day. Those songs should've been on the X Factor album and should not have been B sides. He also co-wrote Virus.

In addition to the great songs Dave wrote on the albums, he also co-wrote Justice of the Peace and Virus. Justice of the Piece (I like it more than Judgement Day) has a strong melodic chorus, strong mid section. I Live My Way is one of the weakest Maiden songs for me. Annoying chorus, with its non-fitting woodcutting drumming style and farmer vocals.

Last edited:
In addition to the great songs Dave wrote on the albums, he also co-wrote Justice of the Peace and Virus. Justice of the Piece (I like it more than Judgement Day) has a strong melodic chorus, strong mid section. I Live My Way is one of the weakest Maiden songs for me. Annoying chorus, with its non-fitting woodcutting drumming style and farmer vocals.
I was going to get to that. Dave wrote many of my very favorite Maiden songs, and Justice of the Peace also should've been on the X Factor album. It annoys me that Maiden neglects some great songs but personally there are some songs that should've been left off the Fear of the Dark album like Weekend Warrior but that's my opinion. I also like Age of Innocence and The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, they're great songs. The Man Who Would Be King and The Man of Sorrows are also awesome. As I said, I have a different taste in music and I respect everyone else's but the songs I like help me get through my culture shock which I have from time to time here in China. It's a fun place but some days are harder than others.

I almost forgot to mention the time when I had Shigella and the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album was one of the albums that helped me get through it. It was because a teacher took me to a restaurant and we were in a hurry because we had to pick up students from a music lesson so I had to be quick. I'm still kicking myself in the butt because Pizza Hut was right across the street! The next day I became so sick I couldn't even walk! I had to be in a wheelchair and I had to stay in another friend's home. It was a foreigner's worst nightmare! Not to mention that I couldn't drink coffee for a week. It took me three weeks before I felt somewhat normal again. Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, and some songs I grew up to on the radio helped me through that disaster!

It's musical snobbery in some cases but I find it's more from people who just notice the name or the graphic on the shirt.

I don't care about others' opinions, but my wearing a Maiden shirt isn't an open invitation for strangers to make comments (as though it's a disembodied tshirt floating around rather than a person wearing whatever the f*** he wants to that day).

I guess the same could be said for any t-shirt representing a band, event, etc. Maybe I notice because I don't wear band t-shirts often and Maiden shirts are the only ones I wear when I do (I wear business suits for work and polo shirts, etc outside of work). I'm used to people I don't know minding their own business around me in public settings.

My only experience wearing band t-shirts is that people only comment when they have something positive to say, i.e. "Nice shirt!" or "Hell yeah, Maiden!" This identifies them as a fellow metal brother and I'm cool with that.

The people who don't like those bands generally say nothing because they've labeled me a weirdo/scary/creep/hipster and would rather judge me silently.

Back