Official MLB baseball thread.

What do you base your decision on? Why not be fans of both teams since they both represent your state? Or city in the case of Chicago.
Or, screw it, let's just cancel the World Series and give everyone participant trophies. How are you even a sports fan??

I can guarantee you that fans of the White Sox (who are also pretty big rivals with the Indians) are NOT rooting for the Cubs. They are praying the Cubs don't win, because Cubs fans will become insufferable if the Cubs win. The only White Sox fan who is ostensibly rooting for the Cubs is President Obama, but that's a politically expedient fiction: in truth, he probably despises the Cubs.

EDIT: For you Euros out there, Travis just asked the equivalent of why Manchester City fans don't root for Manchester United (or Arsenal fans for Chelsea, or Atletico Madrid fans for Real Madrid, etc.).

Last edited:
[White Sox fans] consider themselves superior to Cubs fans, whom they deem to be frat boys and sorority girls who only care about partying at Wrigley and are not "real" baseball fans.

As someone who lives near Wrigley and does not give two shits about any sports or any specific teams, that perception is not entirely wrong. At least 50% of the fans at/around a Cubs home game are of an average age between 22-27 and are just there to get wasted and be idiots.

The replies are interesting, but it still doesn't answer my question. How do you decide which team to be a fan of?

Depends .. what your family follows is probably most common .. beyond that who you start watching (which team is better, has more interesting players, announcers you like, where you live in the city .. north or south, etc)

The replies are interesting, but it still doesn't answer my question. How do you decide which team to be a fan of?

Re college sports, it's easy: You root for the school(s) your parents attended, until you go to college yourself, then you root for your own school.

For pro sports, it's a combination of where you grew up, where you currently live, who your parents rooted for, and maybe even which teams had particular players you liked (for example, from 1983 to 1998, there were a lot more Chicago Bulls fans than there are today, simply because a fellow named Michael Jordan played there).

Speaking personally, I became a Cubs fan while living in Chicago in the mid-1990s. I was white, educated, white-collar, lived on the North Side near Wrigley Field, and (to Knick's point) was between the ages of 22-27 at the time. So, naturally I was drawn more to the Cubs than the White Sox.

I am even more of a Royals fan than a Cubs fan, because that was my favorite team when I was a kid. Now, I live in LA, so I do also root for the Dodgers -- but I still like the Royals and Cubs more, because they came first (to me).

I lived in outside of Chicago (Joliet) .. I was drawn to the Cubs because they had players I liked, I could watch them during the day (at least all the home games), Brickhouse and Harry were cool announcers, Randy Hundley came to our Little League team and was really nice, I was a catcher and he talked to me for a few minutes, nice guy and he helped my game a bit.

We went to some Sox games, but I really like the Cubs (and Wrigley better .. well before I hit drinking age). Add to that, I really dislike the DH .. though I am liking it now because it gets Schwarber in the lineup :)

What is lost now is that the NL and AL were almost like different games, different strike zones, different umpire crews (and uniforms) .. I liked the NL game better and still do.

That said, I was a Royals fan as well, we had some family that lived there and Royals stadium was cool with the waterfalls and I could not stand the Yankees and really liked George Brett, Amos Otis, Jim Sundberg, Willie Wilson, Al Hrabosky (the mad Hungarian) among others on those teams in the mid 70s to mid 80s. Plus they played somewhat of an NL style game.

I live near Dallas now and like the Rangers, not as much as the Cubs .. nowhere close really, but I hope they do well.

What is lost now is that the NL and AL were almost like different games, different strike zones, different umpire crews (and uniforms) .. I liked the NL game better and still do.
Other than DH what rules still separate the two leagues?

I was a Royals fan as well, we had some family that lived there and Royals stadium was cool with the waterfalls and I could not stand the Yankees and really liked George Brett, Amos Otis, Jim Sundberg, Willie Wilson, Al Hrabosky (the mad Hungarian) among others on those teams in the mid 70s to mid 80s.
And Frank White, Paul Splittorf, Bret Saberhagen, Steve Balboni, Dan Quisenberry...

I'm guessing we are the only two people on this forum who were aware of the Mad Hungarian.

Other than DH what rules still separate the two leagues?

That is really it anymore. The umpires used to be the big difference, the AL umps used to use external chest protectors ... so they called higher strikes, where the NL was a low ball league. Now the umpires are mixed and do both leagues

I don't care much for sports, but I just go with Colorado/Denver's teams. We don't have two teams in any sport as far as I know so I've never had the problem of deciding between two teams. I also live within walking distance from the football and baseball stadiums, and the hockey arena (also where Iron Maiden played this year). If CO had anymore teams, I'd probably support the ones that play at those venues.

WOW!!! YES!!! WOW!!! YES!!! WOW!!! YES!!! WOW!!! YES!!! WOW!!! YES!!! WOW!!! YES!!! WOW!!! YES!!! WOW!!! YES!!! WOW!!! YES!!! WOW!!! YES!!!

Last edited:
You know, I actually got into the Cubs spirit this year. I said, "I don't care about sports, but this is a big deal. Good for the city!" And I watched games. And I cheered.

And then we won the World Series and I watched three assholes in Cubs gear run out of the bar on my street, screaming "Cubs win! We're gonna burn this city down!" before jumping onto the windshield of a car parked in front of my building, shattering it into bits.

That's what good vibes are about, apparently.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't like sports.

#FlyTheW #ChicagoCubs #SportsFansSuck #ByeBaseball

You know, I actually got into the Cubs spirit this year. I said, "I don't care about sports, but this is a big deal. Good for the city!" And I watched games. And I cheered.

And then we won the World Series and I watched three assholes in Cubs gear run out of the bar on my street, screaming "Cubs win! We're gonna burn this city down!" before jumping onto the windshield of a car parked in front of my building, shattering it into bits.

That's what good vibes are about, apparently.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't like sports.

#FlyTheW #ChicagoCubs #SportsFansSuck #ByeBaseball
That's a minority of sports fans and you shouldn't dislike sports just because of a few stupid people.

I expected to see the headlines "Cubs win! Chicago burns!" this morning.

It's the Cubs, not the Tigers winning ... but holy crap what a game. So happy, going to call my Grandma later today, she turned 98 this year, went to her first Cubs game in the late 1920s, became a big fan during WWII when she said they were really a bright spot in the day when my Grandfather was away fighting in the war ... I know she is thrilled.

They saved the best for last. Now I have some blue championship shirts to balance out all the recent red ones from the Blackhawks :)

Back