The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

The reason for the backlash is simple: neither Paschendale or Empire of the Clouds are very good songs!

get-out-no-seriously-just-get-out-thumb.jpg

INTO THE VALLEY OF DEATH FEAR NO EVIL
WE WILL GO FORWARD
NO MATTER THE COOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

INTO THE VALLEY OF DEATH FOLLOW ME NOW

BRING ME YOUR SOULS AND I'LL MAKE IT OUR LAST

Add me to the list of people who would do unholy things to hear this moment live. Tag out TRATB and give us this plus another song (even Wrathchild) for the second leg!

INTO THE VALLEY OF DEATH FOLLOW ME NOW

BRING ME YOUR SOULS AND I'LL MAKE IT OUR LAST

Add me to the list of people who would do unholy things to hear this moment live. Tag out TRATB and give us this plus another song (even Wrathchild) for the second leg!

Yes! Tap out TRATB and give us both "Shadows"!! SOTV & OOTS!! After all:
" a man who don't want shadows'... Has no
Soooouuuulll!!!" :dancinggeek:

Yes! Tap out TRATB and give us both "Shadows"!! SOTV & OOTS!! After all:
" a man who don't want shadows'... Has no
Soooouuuulll!!!" :dancinggeek:

Why stop there?

Iron Maiden proudly presents their new light themed tour!:

1) Fear Of The Dark
2) The Edge Of Darkness
3) Twilight Zone
4) Shadows Of The Valley
5) Starblind
6) 2 Minutes To Midnight
7) Total Eclipse
8) Out Of The Shadows
9) Sun And Steel
10) Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
11) Speed Of Light
12) Lord Of Light
13) Iron Maiden

Encore:
14) Sanctuary
15) Running Free
16) Wrathchild

Wrong. The Red and the Black is better than Shadows of the Valley or The Great Unknown. In fact, it's one of my favorite post-reunion Maiden songs already. The instrumental part, specially, is superb.

I don't get this, eveyone here loves prog Maiden, this is one of the best prog Maiden songs, and everyone hates it. Y'all bug my mind :D

Wrong. The Red and the Black is better than Shadows of the Valley or The Great Unknown. In fact, it's one of my favorite post-reunion Maiden songs already. The instrumental part, specially, is superb.

I don't get this, eveyone here loves prog Maiden, this is one of the best prog Maiden songs, and everyone hates it. Y'all bug my mind :D

I do not think as highly of proggy Maiden and am a big fan of TRATB. It really doesn't feel proggy to me.

In any case I disagree. It's a strong song but the 5:50 bridge in Shadows of the Valley is the single best moment on the entire album as far as I'm concerned and I'd love to hear it live.

My suggesting TRATB being tagged out is less a result of any personal distaste for the song and more because I think it's one of the more likely ones to be removed and you could swap it out for two songs due to the length, which isn't the same for Speed of Light or Tears of a Clown, the other two songs from TBOS I would view as likelier to go.

The red and the black is made to be played live, and it really works well as a live tune. It's silly if they put it out of the setlist on the upcoming leg of The book of souls tour.

And it is the best Maiden song since Blood brothers in my case

I consider TRATB to by proggy by my secondary definition which is songs that don't follow a typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus-middle instrumental/solos part-ending verse/chorus formula. I tried to read about time signatures, but it's all way too technical and confusing to me so I don't even know what to listen for when it comes to progressive music. Yes, I know that it's been said Starblind is progressive because of that, but because I don't even understand time signatures in the first place, I have no idea of what a progressive type one should sound like. So for me, if a song follows the formula I described above, I don't consider it to be progressive.

On a different subject, what do you think would be the locations for a possible 2nd leg of the tour? I missed their Chicago gig because of a blown engine and I'm praying to god that they'll play there again.
Bruce said they'd be back "sooner than we think" during the Chicago show

TRATB is neither proggy nor an epic. I equate it to an extremely lengthy "Hallowed-ish, Flight of Icarus-ish, TROBB-ish" type song....
maintains a similar tempo throughout and flows as a single song from beginning to end within the Harris bassline bookends.

This is no criticism at all, it merely differentiates TRATB from Rime/SSOASS/The Sign Of The Cross/WTWWB/TBOS which are Maiden's epics.

TRATB is a top 10 song for me, it rules. They should play it twice each show next year. Perhaps even three times but substitute the third time with Wrathchild every second show.

In my mind, progginess means it has a unique structure and/or lot of changes in tempo/dynamic/mood/etc. It doesn't need all of those things, but it should have at least 2 or 3, and TRATB only really has one (the one change in tempo toward the end).

Back