The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

I wouldn't call this tour's setlist conservative (by Maiden's standards). We got COTD, Powerslave, Blood Brothers and Wasted Years an an album tour, which is pretty cool. The most conservative that Maiden ever were was the ME tour. Apart from ATSS and Prisoner, it was pretty obvious what they will play.

By album tour standards, TFF (second leg) takes the cake, though. The closest thing it had to deep cuts were Blood Brothers and Running Free. The former hadn't been performed since 2001, if you discard the first TFF leg, the latter since 2005. Even with my notoriously relaxed attitude towards setlists, having that along with only five new songs felt a bit naff. Especially after seeing them on the first leg, with that daredevil 2000's set. To top it off, En Vivo!, apart from the new songs, didn't have any tracks that hadn't appeared on the previous two live albums other than Running Free.

There you have it, a setlist complaint from me, five years later.

It all depends on what's your base of comparison.
Personally, i don't have complains at all about Maiden's setlist choices. When I see how safe Metallica plays with their set choices, Maiden is a true daredevil on every single tour. But I can see a pattern on Maiden's albums tours. Let's take, for an example, the set of the last 4 albuns tours:

TBoS: 6 new songs, 4 "not-overplayed" songs
TFF (2nd leg): 5 new songs, 4 "not-overplayed" songs
AMOLAD (1st leg): 10 new songs
AMOLAD (2nd leg): 5 new songs, 1 "not-overplayed" song
DoD: 6 new songs, 2 "not-overplayed" songs

Except the 1st leg of the AMOLAD tour, the TBoS followed the pattern (even considering the "not-overplayed" songs were played at least in 2009). I'm 100% OK with this, but i'm analysing this on the thread point of view, of resting classics and play obscure songs (to the average fan. I have a friend that likes Maiden and went ot the concert with me, but would be completely lost if the band plays Dream of Mirrors or Longest Day). On this point of view, basically all the tours are conservative, the "bonus" songs are expectable or were played in a 10 years span, with the exception of Gimme Ed..., the 1st leg of AMOLAD and the 1st leg of TFF (the history tours is a whole different matter)

Let's compare the setlist of this album tour and that of the previous one (based on En Vivo but taking into account that it underwent changes from its original form) and relish on how methodically they are designed. ;)

1. Satellite 15 / The Final Frontier - 1. If Eternity Should Fail
2. El Dorado - 2. Speed of Light
In both cases, the openers of the album. The Necropolis bit tend to create a first pause - which the segue of "TFF" into "El Dorado" managed to avoid - but I think it is a question of equipment (tuning? I haven't checked yet).

3. 2 Minutes to Midnight - 3. Children of the Damned
4. The Talisman (!) - 4. Tears of a Clown
5. Coming Home
An oldie or classic, followed by the slower song from the new album. (!) Remember that "The Talisman" used to be between "TETMD" and "FOTD" when the tour started in Russia in February 2011)

6. Dance of Death - 5. The Red and the Black
The first big complex one.

7. The Trooper - 6. The Trooper
'Nuff said :D (a good way to inject some power and speed back into the show)

8. The Wicker Man - 7. Powerslave
9. Blood Brothers - 8. Death or Glory
10. When the Wild Wind Blows - 9. The Book of Souls
The "thick of it", in which the climax is represented by the long, complex song from the new album (or one of those, when there are several on the album, in this case "TRATB" and "TBOS" - "EOTC" not being eligible for live performance).

11. The Evil That Men Do - 10. Hallowed Be Thy Name
(11'. The Talisman - in the first dates of the tour)
A classic that more or less has the same dynamic and crowd-pleasing function as "The Trooper" but a bit longer and/or more complex.

12. Fear of the Dark - 11. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden - 12. Iron Maiden
The "mandadory" end sequence of any Iron Maiden set: it seems that, while "Iron Maiden" has always occupied this spot, "FOTD" - after being played in the late middle of the set when it was new in 1992/93 - has grown to accompany it "naturally" (like ZZ Top's "Jesus Just Left Chicago" with "Waiting for the Bus" - though in this case, it is more of a technical coincidence they have exploited). Can someone research for how long it has been at this spot? From memory, it must be since "the X Factour" (20 years...).

Encores
14. The Number of the Beast - 13. The Number of the Beast
Another "mandatory" one - with the first comers and classic-oriented members of the audience, but still a shoe-in to get the crowd pleased and excited. The only time it was put aside was in the first leg of the AMOLAD tour. I feel that this song is just "predictable" or "boring" on paper only, not when you are in the crowd.

15. Hallowed Be Thy Name - 14. Blood Brothers
16. Running Free - 15. Wasted Years
This part seems to be where Maiden has been the most original compared to the previous tour, even though each song can be labelled a 'classic' (even "BB" for a lot of Maiden fans - I for one still consider it a rather new song, but it is starting to change ;) ). The only analytical aspect I can make out of these for the moment is that there is one song which is about relatively 'passively' appreciating it ("HBTN", "Wasted Years") and another one which requires more crowd participation ("Running Free", "Blood Brothers"), and that this order has been reversed from one tour to another.

To conclude, this comparison shows how well thought-out Maiden setlists are in so far as they offer a mix of predictability and surprise, while taking into account at the same time the physical capacities of the musicians (see "The Talisman", displaced because it was too much for Bruce's voice at this moment of the concert).
As we are discussing setlists, here is something I posted at the beginning of the tour. There is definitely a pattern in their album setlists.

What fresh fuckery is this regarding Killers? It is an absolute tune, makes my top 10 easy and its a complete fucking travesty that they didnt do it on Early Days or ME tours. Is this the 'what annoys me' thread, cos that fuckin annoyed me.

I don't get it either. It's OK not to like the album that much but there's some great songs on there, namely (IMO) Murders, Genghis Khan, Purgatory and the title track!

Killers is an awesome album. The backlash that has started to pop up against it is bizarre.

Killers is an awesome album. The backlash that has started to pop up against it is bizarre.

We have a backlash like that for anything every once in a while. Remember how two years ago it was cool to hate Paschendale?

So does anyone know how likely it is that Wacken gets a DVD release? I know Sabbath and Priest both released their Wacken performances on DVD before.

Noticed how Nicko stressed this leg of the tour? *Draws long nose at people on the other side of the ocean*

So does anyone know how likely it is that Wacken gets a DVD release? I know Sabbath and Priest both released their Wacken performances on DVD before.

Eh. This is Maiden's third Wacken gig, so either they will release it or they won't. Nothing to go on.

Nicko's bass drum sound was recorded too crappy for an official release. I don't think they can repair that so easily. I wouldn't count on it.

Nicko's bass drum sound was recorded too crappy for an official release. I don't think they can repair that so easily. I wouldn't count on it.
I'm sure the sound will be completely re-mixed by Caveman if they do an official release. He usually sample replaces a lot of the kick and snare anyways.

A "Death On The Road" kinda DVD would be nice.I'm a bit tired of all of the festival DVDs. Perhaps a home turf recording next year, from an indoors gig?

I'm sure the sound will be completely re-mixed by Caveman if they do an official release. He usually sample replaces a lot of the kick and snare anyways.

Easy to simply overdub, too.

i didn't hear anything wrong with Nicko's drumming at wacken only it could have been louder! hope they make a dvd, that would be great cause Nicko played great the whole show!

Easy to simply overdub, too.
That's essentially what sample replacing is, he'll find a handful of really good, punchy, powerful bass drum hits and then replace the weaker ones with the good ones. It still sounds completely natural, just more consistent.

It's also worth noting that the sound for an official DVD would be EQ'd and processed through hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of outboard gear and plugins- though I'm sure the stream audio was processed and certainly mixed in real time, the final product would have a TON more work put into it.

Louder? For God's sake, the crap I heard was way too loud. You didn't hear these cracky voluminous noises in several songs? I don't even think the exact places of many bass drums can be found. It was a mess.

Listen to e.g. Tears of a Clown, TRATB or BOS.
Can't believe some of you've missed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A "Death On The Road" kinda DVD would be nice.I'm a bit tired of all of the festival DVDs. Perhaps a home turf recording next year, from an indoors gig?
I couldn't agree more. Festival gigs are too soulless for DVD releases, especially because a certain number of people are not here for that band in particular. This is what prevents Europe's latest DVD (Wacken again) from being really great for example.

Back