The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

I ran into him at Ceasars Palace - didn't seem like the right time or place for a pic. I just told him I was looking forward to the show tomorrow night. He said cheers and thanks for the support.

I've been a major fan of the band now for well over 25 years and that was my first time meeting any of them. Made what has already been and will continue to be a special weekend that much better!

I mean (and I understand all this hasn't got the pretention of being 'objective'): "efficient" as in direct and to the point, without any unneccesarily long intro or repetitions in general, but which still stands out for its melodic and structural wealth.
Personally, I think if your going down the path of being worried about repetition then that rules out the vast majority of music, almost all of Iron Maiden's music.
I think some Prog music tries to cut out the repetition but carry a melody and song along a cohesive journey. But then, when bands do that, they get accused of being bloated, boring, indulgent etc. For example some people like "The Red and the Black" but criticise the instrumental section which goes away from the repetition and they claim that this instrumental is bloated and makes the song "unnecessarily" long.

It's impossible to please everyone. I certainly do think that many of us are way too critical when it comes to new music presented by bands we love. We just accept the old classics as the are because they were perhaps penned in a time where we weren't following. We take them as they are. But when new music comes along, we have hopes and dreams that a band will go in a certain direction, and when they don't we may get a bit disappointed.

I was quite happy with the direction Maiden took for AMOLAD and TFF and was a bit disappointed in TBOS for it reverting back to the old Maiden formula. But hey, just gotta keep an open mind, many of the songs are really, really good on TBOS. I think the only way to create a "perfect" album is to create it yourself. Because only you know, or define perfection as it is relative for you.

I certainly don't give points for "efficiency" in music. I don't heed the terms "bloated" or "indulgent". I love guitars, I love it if Maiden indulge in guitar melodies, instrumental pieces and solos.
Maiden certainly do use repetition well (IMHO). Although perhaps they have been guilty of making almost every chorus a repeated one liner (at times). TBOS doesn't have that aspect to it.

After being made to get used to long (7+ minutes) and unfortunately often bloated tracks that Maiden had got the listeners accustomed to on a very frequent basis since The X Factor
My one criticism of The X Factor is the disparity in volume. Many times it has a very quiet intro. If I leave my MP3 player at a particular volume then it is almost as if there is a minute or two of silence before the song is audible. Otherwise I am forced to change the volume all the time.
I really like the Prog aspect, I really like the longer songs, I struggle to understand when other people state that they want the shorter songs. But to each his own. Maiden appeal to a great variety in musical tastes.

Where are you from, Pedro?
Never lose hope. I were already saving a small fortune to travel to see this tour, but they announced a concert in my city (2nd time ever, the 1st being in the massive 08/09 SBiT Tour)

I'm from Ecuador. They came for the first (and obviously last) time in the Somewhere Back in Time Tour...that was incredible, I was not very familiar with the band by that time but I got in love and then I watched the tour documentary and a huge admiration for the band grew on me. Now I love them with all my heart, I can't explain with words what this band means to me... I have even cried watching videos (last time was during their Seventh Son performance in Rock in Rio), I almost cried seeing the intro at Ft. Lauderdale, I was so worried about Bruce. He came to Ecuador on September to do a conference about economy and tell his story about his plane company etc etc...basically he told us how he became one of the greatest human beings of our era. I was sitting behind him before his conference...it was so surreal to have him so close and in a suit. That conference was AWESOME...of course.

There are two big reasons why Maiden will never come again...

-Economy here is at its worst ever and it is very difficult for artists to come here.
-There is huge altitude here and it would be dangerous for Bruce's health.

Despite the altitude, Bruce ran and jumped all over the place in 2009 and everybody there was in awe...you could clearly hear everybody whispering "holy shit" (in spanish hehe)...he was officially my hero since then.

They had a great sight here when they arrived...people made this beautiful thing over a mountain and Bruce has talked about it a bunch of times; that was even the first thing he mentioned during the conference :)

3340673475_103a5e8be2_o.jpg

3340678861_533908319d_o.jpg

Omg...I was just going to answer where I am from and I ended up talking a lot about the band...I was excited and I am new to this forum... I'm sorry....

Anyway, if a miracle happens, I will be able to go to Chile for their show there. Chile is one of their greatest crowds in the world, so it would be amazing. But it is very very expensive and even though it is in south america too, it is soooo hard for an ecuadorian to go there. Oh well.. :(

I'm sorry for my long answer and my bad english... I speak spanish.

I it was referring to the point how could you met Janick when the plane only landed 15 mins ago and the post was made before the plane touched down.

So did Janick get his own way to vegas? :p
Must have, he was apparently here before the plane landed.

I went to the Ft. Lauderdale show and it was my first Maiden concert and have been a die hard fan since I curiously bought the Number of the Beast album one day in 2005. I'm 27 now. Wasted Years is my favorite Maiden song so closing with it, while absolutely sensical from a canonical standpoint especially with the NEW Best of the Beast backdrop with Breeg Eddie, Frontier Eddie, and Souls Eddie, was pretty fitting.

Also, there was a Ft. Lauderdale exclusive shirt? Which was that? I just bought the one with NOTB on it!

I will say, Powerslave absolutely floored me on the setlist. Children of the Damned too. I was shocked they played Tears of a Clown early too and although it doesn't SOUND like a Maiden song, it is still a great live track nonetheless.

The Red and the Black into where the entire stage was red in the beginning was a phenomenal touch

@Pedro Paliz I understand. Actually, economy is bad in all of South America so far (maybe Chile is an exception, but i don't live there, so...can't be sure), but Ecuador is definitely off the 4 main "landing spots" of international concerts: São Paulo, Rio, Buenos Aires and Santiago. Since i'm from Belo Horizonte, i usually have to travel to São Paulo most of the times (i'll do it again for the Black Sabbath concert in december), but this is a 500 km (310 miles, for our US friends) trip, nothing close of the 4.000km trip (2480 miles) from Santiago to Quito. It makes me realize how lazy i am to complain about a trip to São Paulo :D

I want, one day, to watch a giant metal concert (Maiden, Metallica or Sabbath) in Argentina or Chile. The brazilian crowd may look "hot" compared to the US/Northern European crowd, but the ones in Argentina/Chile are massive. I definitely want to see that live. Actually, i'll attend 4 concerts in Maiden's last tour: São Paulo (because it's damn sure that they'll not play in Belo Horizonte. Actually, i can't believe yet that they'll play here), Buenos Aires (cheapier than Santiago thanks to the currency), a London gig and their last concert ever (probably at Donington Park). How i'll find money? No idea, but i hope that the kidney market will be warm at the time

We just accept the old classics as the are because they were perhaps penned in a time where we weren't following. We take them as they are. But when new music comes along, we have hopes and dreams that a band will go in a certain direction, and when they don't we may get a bit disappointed.
Nicely put. ;)

On another subject: are there official live streams of the shows? (I think not, but I might be too pessimistic about this) If so, can they posted here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I it was referring to the point how could you met Janick when the plane only landed 15 mins ago and the post was made before the plane touched down.

So did Janick get his own way to vegas? :p
H told janick to stop fuckin up his solos, janick got mad, parachuted down to Vegas.

Simple Math

Actual and improved setlist:

1. If Eternity Should Fail
  2. Speed Of Light
  3. Children Of The Damned
  4. Tears Of A Clown
  5. The Red And The Black/ The Great Unknown
  6. The Trooper
  7. Powerslave
  8. Death Or Glory/ The Man Of Sorrows
  9. The Book Of Souls
  10. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  11. Fear Of The Dark/ For The Greater Good Of Good
  12. Iron Maiden
  13. The Number Of The Beast/ The Prisoner
  14. Blood Brothers
  15. Wasted Years

In my opinion all the new songs sounds awesome live. I'm not a big fan of Tears of a Clown, but i watched live videos, and it's great! I'm so happy with this setlist, i thought i will never hear Powerslave live (my favourite song), but it's on the setlist again!! :) Nicko is unreal. He's 63 (!!!) and still plays like that... One thing i noticed, that Bruce fucked up the timing a few times (at least in Ft. Lauderdale.) But it was the first concert of the tour, he will only get better.
I can't wait to see them in summer. I think it's one of their best tours. If Eternity Should Fail is the best opener ever!!! So epic!
BEST BAND EVER!

If Eternity Should Fail is the best opener ever!!! So epic!!

I don't get people saying that. Like , get real.

Caught somewhere in Time, Moonchild, Aces High clearly rips it in terms of energy and coming out with a bang to start a show.

I'm not one of those "the 80's songs are Maiden, nothing else", but please...

Best opener in the 00's is much more appropriate

For the users that went to the merch booth in Fort Lauderdale, can someone inform me if the Powerslave T-Shirt have a identification of the tour?

I don't get people saying that. Like , get real.

Caught somewhere in Time, Moonchild, Aces High clearly rips it in terms of energy and coming out with a bang to start a show.

I'm not one of those "the 80's songs are Maiden, nothing else", but please...

Best opener in the 00's is much more appropriate

That's your opinion. Yes, all those songs that you mentioned are really powerful openers, but i like IESF the most.

If Eternity Should Fail is, probably, as good as Wicker Man as a opener. Worst than Moonchild and Aces High, probably on the sane level of Futureal and Be Quick or Be Dead, and above the others. I mean, Caught Somewhere in Time is an amazing song, but i can see i the bootlegs that, even in 1986, Bruce weren't able to sing the song exactly like the album record

Back